What's the best looking wheel and tire package you've seen on a lowered 57?

Started by actualsize, 2009-03-14 20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

actualsize

I'm getting rid of the wheels and tires that came on my lowered 57. They're simply too tiny, for my taste, and the tires and wheels are poorly matched.

Here's what I've got:

Front -- 196/60R14 on 8" wide rims. Yes, you read that right -- 8 inches wide.
Rear -- 235/60R15 on 10" wide rims.

The rims are so over-wide that if the pressure drops below 20 psi the tires de-bead themselves.

I'm thinking I'll go with something taller overall. And I think 16" rims up front and 17" rims in back might be about right.

But what do you think? What looks good on a '57? What's on yours?

Dan

KidKourier

Dan,    Are you sure your running a 10" wide rim? If you scroll down from your topic you'll see a couple of threads on wheel/tire size combos. 57 Agin is running 15x8 Cragers with 5.450 back spacing/255x60Rx15 BFG's with about an 1" of clearance each side with I believe the wheel well lip cut or rolled on his Custom 300,I'm running 15x7's with 225x70rx15 tires on the rear of my Courier and may be able to step up to 57 Agins size but would be a close fit(rims are Torque Thrusts).How about posting some pictures of your ride in Members Rides section of the Gallery,we all like to see new pics and I'm especially fond of "Longroofs" (don't know why) LOL. KID

actualsize

Yes, it really is a 10-inch wide rear rim. It has 2-inch offset, leaving just three inches from the back lip to the mounting flange.

The tire is so skinny (235) that the rim is the widest part of the whole assembly; it measures 11" wide from outer lip to outer lip and 10" between the beads. The tire and wheel cannot be removed from the car unless it is jacked up via the frame, so the axle goes into full droop.

The fender lips have been flattened and the tire just barely fits. I wouldn't advise this approach. If the tire were any wider, the sidewall profile would be different and it would rub. But the tire needs to be wider (or the rim narrower) in order for the beads to seat properly.

I'll post some pictures, but I don't have any at the moment that shows this aspect clearly; the car is still awaiting its new fuel tank before I can fire it up and move it outside for better pictures.

Dan

shopratwoody

What looks good to you is your opinion only. Do want it to look 50's, 60's or this high tech crap
that the fad right now? You have to decide what look you want and go from there. The traditional
stuff is out there. The tires are available as well (Coker) What do you want it to look like? Once
you make a decision then folks can help you find the stuff you want.
Have fun, Ron
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

Ron;
     I almost sprayed coffee on my key board when I read your responce "high tech crap" I was trying to think of a way to answer Dan but will second your answer.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

robhaerr

Dan...

I was looking at that sedan delivery to buy about 4 years ago...other than the tire problem...is it a fun car? I think it has a stout 390 in it? I never went to look at it, as I found my wagon.

The guy selling it seemed like a nice guy who was "getting rid of some toys". Said he had about $15,000 in the paint job. He was ready to deal...but I had bought the wagon. Hope it's a great ride...looks fun, and will get plenty of attention!

I vote for the 60s look...plenty of beefy sidewall with a set of Torque Thrusts.

Hope to see you at a cruise night somewhere in So Cal...

Rob

robhaerr

Dan...

Never mind...I have now seen the photo of your car. Different than the sedan delivery I was looking at out in the San Fernando Valley.

Yours looks great...I would keep the moonies look!

Rob

KidKourier

Dan, I had a '58 Sedan Delivery that I was running deep dish chrome reverse rims with the small dog dish '57 Ford hub caps(white background with raised chrome Ford letters) and by the way it was a bright yellow also which I thought looked like a sweet combo! But as stated "to each his own" I've seen some Boyds and Foose Wheels that I thought looked like crap for $3000. If you go to the front page of this site and click on "Links" then click on "1957 Fords .com" go to "Models" on left hand sideand click on that, it will take you to a list of all '57's made. Check them all out especially '59A-2-dr wagons or '78A-Sedan Deliverys might give you an idea of what they'd look like with different wheel combos.On page 7 you'll see a tutone Dark gray/Silver Courier(Sedan Delivery) that's my baby. Good Luck--KID

Frankenstein57

This is interesting stuff, I was looking at the wheel and tire combination on the 58 ranchero I just bought, and I got to thinking , The bigger the wheel---16-17"   it will help the on & off problem on this car. The bigger the wheel gives you more room to walk it up into the wheelwell. Anyone experimented with this? thanks, Mark

shopratwoody

If you leave the spotlights you might consider whitewalls and some nice late 50's full caps. Lancers,
Olds, etc. Just a thought.
Ron
I can't see the rear wheels real good, I wonder if that housing has been narrowed. They look awful wide.
I hate blocksanding!

actualsize

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2009-03-16 19:30
This is interesting stuff, I was looking at the wheel and tire combination on the 58 ranchero I just bought, and I got to thinking , The bigger the wheel---16-17"   it will help the on & off problem on this car. The bigger the wheel gives you more room to walk it up into the wheelwell. Anyone experimented with this? thanks, Mark

That's my reasoning for my current thinking about 16" x 8 rear wheels. The difficulty with my current set-up, apart from the 10-inch rim width (at the bead seat measuring point--the outside width approaches 11 inches), is the inner wheel lip doesn't quite clear the top of the brake drum when the tire starts to touch the fender. I'm going for more room on two fronts by swapping my 11-inch wide tires for 10-inch ones, and changing the wheels from 15-inch to 16-inch.  I'm staying clear of 17 or 18-inch rolling stock because it just doesn't look right, and because the costs go insane pretty quickly.

I'm considering 16 x 7" fronts to go with it, but there's no clearance issue here, of course.

Dan

old skool

parrothead2563

just for kicks 69 shelby gt500 wheels (best looking wheels ever) 255/60s on front 275/50 hoosier drag radials on rear no lip rolling I have power steering on my edsel bermuda. :003:

bossguy

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2009-03-16 05:32
Ron;
     I almost sprayed coffee on my key board when I read your responce "high tech crap" I was trying to think of a way to answer Dan but will second your answer.

TOM :unitedstates:
+1 Ron that was a perfect answer LOL

Jerrys Kars

I have three choices. First would be Torque Thrust Ds. 14" or 15" which ever blows your dress up. Second steel stock wheels with poverty caps. Third steel stock wheels with T-Bird Turbine caps.