News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

vin code help on 1957 custom

Started by bigkytex, 2009-10-14 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

bigkytex

i was wondering if anyone can tell me that my vin and stuff is

it is

vin...A7KG101399
Body... 70B
Color...G
Trim...AN
then there is 25J-4029B

thanks

KidKourier

Okay Tex,    A7KG101399= A-6 cylinder(223 c.i.)--7(model year)--K(assembly plant-Kansas City)--G (Body Style- Tudor,Fordor,(Custom and Custom "300") and Business Tudor(Custom)--101399-consecutive unit number with each car model change starting with #100001!      Now part 2----Body=70B (Tudor Sedan)----Color G=(M-20J-755-Cumberland Green)---Trim AN=(Light Green Vinyl/Medium Green Bodycloth)---25=(25th day)---J=(month=September)---4029=(Scheduled item # from production)---B=(I don't know this one--help). Hope this helps ! Try---www.1957Ford.com--- has alot more info on '57's (pictures of exterior/interior colors,etc.)  KID

bigkytex

thanks so much Kid that is what i was wanting to know
.... i kinda thought the white ontop of the cumberland green was done later since the bumpers were not removed when painted
thanks
tex

JPotter57

Actually, the 70B is for Custom 300 Tudor Sedan, the Custom would be 70A.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lou

The "B" at the end of the production number means it was the second car in that order for that peculiar dealer. A dealer got a discount on shipping if he ordered a full truck load, 4 cars being a truck load at the time. So dealers ordered cars in groups of 4 or 8. OK before you ask, a "P" at the end of a production code (very common on Thunderbirds) meant that the car was shipped out of the Assembly plants' sales district.

rmk57

Didn't 70A's only come with one colour and pattern interior?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lou

From what I can find in the factory issued sales booklets dated 9/56 & 2/57 you are correct in that the Custom 70A had only one interior choice. The Taxi and Police booklets imply, that there were dark brown and a red all-vinyl interior avaible at extra cost.

wv 57s forever

if thats true why are there not any 70d's ?

JPotter57

The 70D is the Custom business sedan.  Is that what you were asking?  70D is what I am after, want one bad enough to clone one, but not enough to pay the outrageous premium that they demand...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

An e-code 70D would be my ultimate 57 Ford :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

wv 57s forever

OK then if the hauler caries 8 cars the dealer buys all customs the last car is a 70h ?

Lou

Model has nothing to do with the amount of cars in the order. Hauler at that time carried 4 cars, but 5 car haulers were coming into limited use. I'm not sure if Ford used all 8 letters, Ford did not use "I" I've seen "J" stamped on a plate. If Ford used all 8 letters ("A" was understood but not stamped) then yes the 8Th car in the order would be "H". I don't know how the stamping was handled on Fleet cars like Taxis, as fleet sales was a different ball game.
In 35 years of collecting data plate information I have never been able to get any data plate information from a factory built taxi, if any one here ever comes across a true ex taxi please copy the information and forward it to me.

Lou

The "H" would be at the end of the plate information under production code. 70A, 70D are model codes.

wv 57s forever

sorry misuderstood where you got the b you were talking about :iamwithstupid: