News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake booster fit

Started by 57ragtop, 2009-10-14 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

57ragtop

We purchased a "drop in" disc brake system from Brake Tech Solutions, NC. We have rotors, brakes installed but our mechanic is not sure this booster is going to fit without hitting manifold. We do not want to
remove old and find this booster will not fit. Anyone used this company's brake kit? Or have pictures of their booster installation.

Frankenstein57

I purchased a very similar unit for my 57. I just bolted it on the 58 I bought last spring. It's a 292 y-block, stick. The brake unit is from Fatman products. The setup cleared that engine package ,no problem. I did wind up altering the rod adapter bracket, stroke was wrong, not a bolt on. Mark

58villager

hey guys anybody out there ever deal with 58 edsel treadlevac brake boosters. does ford use this unit? anyone ever replace this with modern 2 pot m.c. and booster thanks.
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

Ford Blue blood

Yup, have one in a box right now.  Ford never used the thing, Mercury, Edsel and Lincoln did.  I did put a 7" dual diaphragm booster in the Edsel, brakes work but just not real happy.  Need an 8" but it hit the valve cover.  I have not researched an after market setup yet.

Have to wonder if the pedal assembly under the Edsel Treadlvac dash is the same as the Ford power brake under dash?  I have a good system in the Ranchero, it was designed to replace the manual set up.  Is the leverage system the same between the Edsel and Ford, if so it should work fine.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

:dontknow:

TREADLE-VAC

SWIFT-SURE

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

58villager

hey guys  kinda had the same question about the linkage under dash dont have aford set up to look at, but edsel has some additional bellcrank parts  ihave adapted a booster/m.c. from 77 mustang ii used a 90 f150 m.c. had to rework linkage under dash (pedal travel way to short) appears that tredelvac unit requires much longer travel. still have more refinement/troubleshooting to do, as brakes are good (stock drums) but pedal pressure still too high.
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

KULTULZ

Quote from: 58villager on 2022-03-12 12:03

hey guys  kinda had the same question about the linkage under dash dont have aford set up to look at, but edsel has some additional bellcrank parts 

ihave adapted a booster/m.c. from 77 mustang ii used a 90 f150 m.c. had to rework linkage under dash (pedal travel way to short) appears that tredelvac unit requires much longer travel. still have more refinement/troubleshooting to do, as brakes are good (stock drums) but pedal pressure still too high.

You have 58 EDSEL with four-wheel drum brakes? The 90 F-150 MC is 4-wheel drum or DISC/DRUM?

I imagine the pedal is a little touchy.

Again, TREADLE-VAC is (was) a GM SYSTEM that was also used by LINC-MERC in the early fifties. I think you are describing the KH SWIFT-SURE BRAKE ASSIST SYSTEM that came on 1957/ FORD-EDSEL.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Quote from: 57ragtop on 2009-10-14 17:42

We purchased a "drop in" disc brake system from Brake Tech Solutions, NC. We have rotors, brakes installed but our mechanic is not sure this booster is going to fit without hitting manifold. We do not want to
remove old and find this booster will not fit. Anyone used this company's brake kit? Or have pictures of their booster installation.

Do you have the WEB SITE and kit description/instruction sheet?

I see it is a GM MC. The calipers were also GM? Did they describe the calipers as being METRIC?

This is a 57 FORD Y-BLOCK?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Ford Blue blood

The pedal linkage is completely different between the Ford and Edsel.  Could not find a "bolt in" kit for Edsel with power brakes.  Might be swapping in a 57 - 58 Ford manual brake pedal might be the way to go.  The kits for the 57 - 58s and others move the booster and master up away from the engine with plenty of room.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KULTULZ

I stand corrected ...  :sad3:

I was not aware EDSEL used the xxx-MORAINE-xxx BENDIX TREADLE-VAC on THE MERC-EDSEL-LINC-SQUAREBIRD platforms. I thought (a$$-u-med) the FORD PLATFORM used KH SWIFT-SURE.

THANX! for the wake-up call ...

I will now go to my SPECIAL PLACE and sulk for awhile ...

EDIT -

MORAINE TREADLE-VAC - FOMOCO ACTUALLY USED THE BENDIX TREADLE-VAC SYSTEM,  not the DELCO-MORAIN SYSTEM.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

58villager

to KULTULZ ,been messing with edsels for years owned several through the years ,all stock daily drivers project now kinda ratrod style want to make it more user friendly (power steering & brakes that work in todays traffic) every time i go to modify, i find more suprises, so don"t feel to bad !!!!  also, yeh it does have drum all around ,but pedel travel very short  and kinda hard. got to check my booster to make sure it's working properly (just doesn't feel right)  also ,what would be the difference between disc & drum m.c.  maybe rpv (in older units) doesn't seem like newer/reman units use these anymore. thanks

KULTULZ

To 58villager -

I will be more than glad to help you with a changeover. What I need to see is how you put a vacuum booster on a brake pedal design for a TREADLE-VAC. Can you take photos and post, under dash and engine compartment?

Will have to start a new thread after this.

The EDSEL had its' own PARTS MANUAL and WORKSHOP MANUAL and had two platforms in 1958. I admired them but never got my hands on one.

Your VILLAGER has what engine and trans?

The below ILL is of a MERC install. I think I am going to have to buy some EDSEL LITERATURE as FORD did some unique things on the car.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Ford Blue blood

Thanks for the great diagram KULTULZ, perfect.  That is exactly what the Edsel (Pacer) linkage looks like.

What I did to mount the 7" booster was make a heavy plate that bolts to the fire wall mount (2A248) that is bolted through the fire wall to the pedal support just as the 57 - 58 supports are.  The four mounting studs on both the 7" and 8" are 3 3/8 " square and fit inside the original fire wall mount (2A248).  I took an old push rod, fit it to the new booster and coupled it to the pedal assembly with the stock hard ware.  The 8" booster hit the valve cover hard.  No room to even slip a piece of paper between them.

After pondering the situation, a little six pack engineering, I believe mounting a 57 - 58 manual pedal and using an after market power kit that will bolt up to the fire wall will do the trick. 

I spent close to a week figuring and working to keep the car so that if an individual wanted to go back to the Treadle vac it would be a simple bolt in process.  I'll post a picture latter to day.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KULTULZ

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2022-03-15 08:12

Thanks for the great diagram KULTULZ, perfect.  That is exactly what the Edsel (Pacer) linkage looks like.

What I did to mount the 7" booster was make a heavy plate that bolts to the fire wall mount (2A248) that is bolted through the fire wall to the pedal support just as the 57 - 58 supports are.  The four mounting studs on both the 7" and 8" are 3 3/8 " square and fit inside the original fire wall mount (2A248).  I took an old push rod, fit it to the new booster and coupled it to the pedal assembly with the stock hard ware.  The 8" booster hit the valve cover hard.  No room to even slip a piece of paper between them.

After pondering the situation, a little six pack engineering, I believe mounting a 57 - 58 manual pedal and using an after market power kit that will bolt up to the fire wall will do the trick. 

I spent close to a week figuring and working to keep the car so that if an individual wanted to go back to the Treadle vac it would be a simple bolt in process.  I'll post a picture latter to day.

You are quite welcome. Discussions as this allow me to learn what I missed years ago. I will look forward to the photo(s).

I am wondering if the complete FORD stock setup could be transferred to the EDSEL (FORD) from the FORD or if FORD did anything from either cowl/firewall. Then one could go about whatever booster/MC design they want to use.

I am still stymied why EDSEL used the TREADLE-VAC on the small EDSEL. It seems (to me) that the SWIFT-SURE would have been cheaper and easier.

And I forgot to ask the OP if his foundation brakes were self-adjusting.

QuoteI spent close to a week figuring and working to keep the car so that if an individual wanted to go back to the Treadle vac it would be a simple bolt in process.

And that is appreciated. I believe if modification(s) are done that it be done in a way that the car can be returned to OEM. Cause no harm.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Ford Blue blood

I have an original factory maintenance manual for the Edsel.  It only shows the Treadlvac as the power brake booster.  Need to see if there is a "blow apart" picture of the manual set up like the one you posted.  There are no dimensions listed for the hardware in the manual.  Might be in a parts book?  The brakes on all four corners are self adjusting.

Was intended on posting a picture of the instal but life got in the way.  Will try today!

Best I can tell the brace the pedal hangs on is "Ford" on the fire wall side given the bolt pattern, the two sheet metal screws that hold it in place installed from the interior side and the four bolts that hold the booster mount to the fire wall.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero