News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 4cam swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2010-04-16 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

test fitting a 1995 4cam in a 57 ranchero.used 02 mustang motor mounts,01 cobra exhaust manifolds,95 continental oil pan,98 crown vic oil filter adapter,fits well, exhaust manifolds fit under upper control arm mounts,stock rad should work with thermostat housing swap to a 3L taurus 4cam one. stock trans mount looks like it will work with a redrill of the mount holes.the trans crossmember can be left in the stock location,clears the fire wall and heater box.a 59 steering box fits.the stock frame motor mount brackets need to be drilled about a inch forward of the stock holes.tryed to download some pictures,but did not work.will try tonight   

Thor

I am looking forward to some pics! This sounds very similar to the combination I want to put in my 58 Fairlane!

RICH MUISE

interested in pics also. any clearance problems with the upper control arms?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

you need to swap the upper control arm bolts around,put the long nuts on the inside.the ears beside the bolts need to be bent in on the drivers side,the rear one on the pass side needs to be cut and moved in

canadian_ranchero

here are some pictures

canadian_ranchero

some more

canadian_ranchero

the engine is moved back about a inch after these pictures were taken.the rad is the lincoln rad,but am using the 57 one.will take some more pictures of the other changes

RICH MUISE

That's going to be so awesome. That small block engine can sure fill an engine compartment. What is the engine out of, and what is the tranny? Hard to tell from the photo, what's your guess on if there'd be room for an 8" dual booster on the master cylinder. Keep us up on your progress. thanks rich

JPotter57

Looks to be a 4.6 4v from a Lincoln Mark VIII, I believe.  Those things look awesome.  My dad put a 2004 Mach 1 engine in his `63 Falcon, and it hauls.  Only real difference between it and the Lincoln motor is the intake.  Great info there, Ranchero...keep us updated with photos and other fitment issues...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Thor

Great Pic's and information :canada:n Ranchero  :001:!!! This is exactly the setup I was looking to use in my 58 Fairlane. My engine/trans combination is out of a 93 Mark VIII with 49K. I too was going to try using Cobra exhaust manifolds (off a 97), 2000 Cobra engine mounts. Instead of using the stock intake I was planning on using an intake off a 96 cobra. It looks tight but very cool! PLEASE keep us informed as to your progress and Have a Great Day.

canadian_ranchero

to answer some of your questions.the engine and trans are out of a 95 mark viii,for a booster i have test fitted a hydrovac out of a 02 mustang gt,seens to fit good,looks like no room for a vacuum booster.am working on the shift linkage.looks like will need to change shifter arm on trans.will keep you posted

canadian_ranchero

there is only about 2in of clearance above the alternator to the hood.i do not think the cobra intake will clear the hood.also i am told the lincoln intake makes more low end torque and works better if you are using a automatic trans

F570RD

I thought my engine bay was full.That's wall to wall motor right there.Very Cool!

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-16 21:08
test fitting a 1995 4cam in a 57 ranchero.used 02 mustang motor mounts,01 cobra exhaust manifolds,95 continental oil pan,98 crown vic oil filter adapter,fits well, exhaust manifolds fit under upper control arm mounts,stock rad should work with thermostat housing swap to a 3L taurus 4cam one. stock trans mount looks like it will work with a redrill of the mount holes.the trans crossmember can be left in the stock location,clears the fire wall and heater box.a 59 steering box fits.the stock frame motor mount brackets need to be drilled about a inch forward of the stock holes.tryed to download some pictures,but did not work.will try tonight   

Your efforts have eliminated a bunch of questions for my install!  I do have a couple more that you might be able to help with.  Do you need to change out the filter adaptor for fitment or are you eliminating the oil cooling portion of the adapter?  Cobra manifolds because they are better or is that a fitment issue solver as well?  Is there room to drop the engine just a touch more or is the pan on the crossmember or the heads and control fitment?  And the last question, is there a wiring harness out there or are you modifying the existing harness?  Thanks much, Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Bill, Ron Francis makes an engine control harness with fuel injection gizmo specifically for use with the 93-9? lincoln engines. It is used in conjunction with the stock lincoln computer. Canadian...curious where  you are at (in Canada I assume)as my mom and dad were both canadian. Also, I was a little confused on your upper control arm modifications as far as the "ears". I think you said something about cutting and moving one of the ears on the passenger side....???
Info copied from www.ronfrancis.com

Lincoln Mark VIII 93-95 Telorvek Wiring Harness

1993-1995 Ford 4.6 V-8 Modular Engine

This engine was introduced in 1993 in the Mark VIII. This was Ford?s new modular design engine which utilizes some of the same parts to create a lower horsepower engine used in other Ford models. The 4.6 engine in the Mark VIII utilizes a thirty two valve, double over head cam design to create 280 horsepower while the 4.6 in other Ford models is a single overhead cam engine that produces 205 horsepower. The Mark VIII engine has intake manifold runner control solenoids which operate plates which are closed below 3000 RPM so the engine is running on two valves per cylinder. With no air delivered to the secondary intake valves, economy and emissions are improved at low RPM. Above 3000 the plates open increasing air delivered to each cylinder for more power on demand. The 4.6 engine has two ignition coils with each coil firing four cylinders. The 4R70W transmission is used behind this engine. Factory ECM can be used in factory configuration.

Item Number: MK-93

Unit Price: $900.00