News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 4cam swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2010-04-16 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

i used a 98 crown vic oil filter adapter,it moves the thermostat up so it fits the 57 v8 rad better.also used a taurus 4cam thermostat to get rid of the pressurized over flow tank.my mark viii did not have a oil cooler.the 01 cobra manifolds were the best fitting of the ones i tryed.if you try to lower the engine any more the exhaust manifolds will hit the frame below the upper control arms.i am modifying the mark viii wiring harness.the ears i am talking about are part of the frame beside the upper control arm mounting bolts.i live by edmonton,alberta,canada.any other questions,just ask   

canadian_ranchero

more pictures .found this hp graph.first picture shows steering box to exhaust clearance and shift cable.other one shows right exhaust hitting frame ear

canadian_ranchero

some more.the one shows oil filter clearance and thermostat moved up.the one on the frame is the taurus thermostat.the other is steering box,shift cable,from a 97 f150 

Thor

Great information and Pic's Canadian Ranchero. Thanks for all the great information!

canadian_ranchero

there is no room for the battery in the stock location.looking at other options.can someone tell me how bigger the after market power steering boxes are compared to the 59 box 

RICH MUISE

We have great neighbors to the north! I'm amazed how you guys figure out how all these different parts from different vehicles will work. I'm guessing you work for a Ford garage or a wrecking yard to be around all these different vehicles...anyways, awesome job and much appreciated info. Several more questions.. Is there not room for the battery in the stock location because your going to rum the air intake thru that area? I noticed you used an f-100 shifter cable...are you planning on a floor or column shifter? The exaust manifolds from the cobra must be hard to find in wrecking yards...is there a difference between the cobra manifolds and non cobra mustangs from the same vintage that would probably be easier to find. Thanks again...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Cobra 4.6 is 32 valve 4-cammer like the Lincoln Mark VIII, regular GT is a 16 valve 2-cammer.  Ports are completely different, wont bolt up.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

canadian_ranchero

exhaust manifolds need to be from a 4 cam engine.i tryed the 95 lincoln ones,the right one would work.tryed 95 continental,left one fits but will not clear 59 steering box.looked at pictures of 4 cam navigator manifolds look too fat.01 cobra seem to be the best fit.got mine on ebay.the original battery box hits the head.so i will mount the air cleaner on the pass side.want to use the stock auto column shifter,looks like 97 f150 will work.i am looking into if a gm 605 power box will fit

RICH MUISE

You were fit checking the lincoln radiator..I'm curious if there were just to many modifications to the stock radiator support, which pretty much ties the front end together, for it to make a worthwhile swap, or if there was another reason did you decide against it

canadian_ranchero

the bottom rad mount was hitting frame,moving it lower would have meant removing the frame braces by the front bumper brackets.also i was having trouble finding a spot to put the pressurized overflow tank.the stock rad just fit better and finding the taurus thermostat made it possible

RICH MUISE

are the dohc only in cobras? I was just looking at a new set of exaust manifolds advertised on ebay. They were listed as 1999-2001 mustang gt dohc. ??? Is it a case of them misidentifying their product?

canadian_ranchero

just make sure the ports that come out of the head are oval shaped.the 2cam ones are round

canadian_ranchero

talking about rads again if you make up some mounting tabs,looks like the mark viii cooling fan will fit on the 57 rad.test fitted a 605 gm power steering box,looks like it will fit,now i just need to cut up a 59 box to change it over

Thor

Rich,
Some folks think the 4.6 GT mustangs used the "Dual overhead Cam" (one cam over each head= 2 cams or Dual overhead cam to them) The 4.6 Cobra uses the true dual overhead cam arrangement (two cams over each head, which is my definition of a dual overhead cam Cobra head, for a total of 4 cams). Anyway, the GT manifolds (Exhaust or Intake) will not fit the Cobra (Mark VIII) heads. Somewhere I have a Link to an informative  2 part article on all the differences of the Ford 4.6 mod. motors describing what works with what. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.