News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 4cam swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2010-04-16 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

And this is the link to part 2 of the article. This has all the information about the different head configurations.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/engine/mufp_0510_ford_modular_v8_engine_part_2/index.html

enjoy again!

Ford Blue blood

I think Bullits and the Mach I used 4 cam 4.6 motors through 2004.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

i read the links and found some errors and things i do not agree with.i do not think the oil cooler will clear the 57 frame.as i said i do not think the mustang intake will fit,will hit the hood

RICH MUISE

ok...you got my attention..what didn't you agree with, and also did you see rclaiborn's question on the dip stick problem at the other post we got going. I,m curious about that also...thanks Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i am working on the dipstick issue.the mustang article is wrote for high rpm HP and some of what they say will not work as good on the street.the size chart has errors,weight i have for the markviii engine 437 lb

RICH MUISE

I noticed the high weight quoted for the 4.6. I assumed they had the weight for the cast iron later versions.I ran into a guy from Kansas City last summer who's shop specializes in the 4.6 conversion. I talked about him earlier, he claims to have done over 40 of them. Maybe I can pry some info out of him about the dipstick problem, if I can find his number...He seamed like the kind of guy who was willing to share info even though it was his buisness....Rich

JPotter57

The high weights listed are for a complete, as installed in the Lincoln weight.  This included all accessories, exhaust manifolds, wiring harnesses, etc.  That is why I always thought these engines were such a pig, compared to a 289 (a 4.7 liter).  The weights listed for early engines was for the bare engine, no accessories, exhausts, etc.  A 460 weighs in at something like 695 or 700 lbs or so, bare, imagine one loaded.  On the other hand, an FE with an aluminum intake and water pump is really close to weighing the same as a 351W.  The aluminum block 4 cammers are good powerplants, my dad has a `63 Falcon convertible with a 2004 Mach 1 engine and trans, and it is a brute.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

canadian_ranchero

one of the tv shows is doing a 4cam swap.they weighed the complete engine and auto trans and said it was 719 lbs

Ford Blue blood

and this one too....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

RICH MUISE

metalman1

These 4.6 32v intec engines run good With plenty of power all the way to 500hp,But you will be crying when it brakes a cam chain or tensioner,it destroys the whole engine usualy heads & all,My friend broke his crank snout off with a supercharger setup,wadded the cam chains & he had nothing left to rebuild.It cost almost 1000.00 just to make one run in an old car,I can get some serious hp upgrades on a sbf or fe for that much money.But everyone has their own outlook,have fun, get it done & tell us about it.

RICH MUISE

Seems like I remember reading on the Mark viii website about problems with the chains. I'll look into it some more...may be a good thing to replace while the engine is out...or still in the Mark viii before everything is pulled so it can be checked after install.
That said, I think most guys that have chosen the 4.6, or 5.0, or other similar new school motors have gone that route because of reliability compared to the old school. To my way of thinking, the old school engines with 150-200,000 miles are the exception rather than the rule. At least without major overhauling. My Grand Cherokee is about to turn 200K and other than plugs, has never even been tuned. Still gets the same (lousy) gas mileage it did when I got it with 12K miles.
There's are newer thread running on this, mostly by myself and Al (57dohc) that are trying to get the install done while working around other priorities. That thread is "4.6 dohc being installed now". Al is installing a supercharged version from a GT Mustang like your friend had. Mine is a Mark Viii version w/oem FI.
Welcome to the forumn, btw.

Ford Blue blood

Having owned an 03 Cobra and now a Shelby GT 500 comparing both of those cars to my 70 Boss 302 is like comparing apples and oranges.  The Shelby is superior in every respect to both the Boss and the 03.  A couple of simple mods (CAI/tune, Magnoflows and 3.73 gears) and it puts 502 on the rear wheels.  Ran it 83 - 84 all day after climbing Pikes Peak (in a hurry) without missing a beat and kept my and the wife cool on a 96 degree day in a traffic back up in KY.  Folks it just don't get any better then that.  Oh, did I mention the car averaged 19 MPG over the entire 3700 miles.  :003:

Yes I have posted this stuff before but it just don't make sense to put a carbed engine when there are so many options out there.  Small blocks built to 400 HP will cost more then that 4.6 or the 5.8 from a yard and getting 400 out of a 302 GT ain't that easy either.  Now I have no problem with doing the monster motor if that floats your boat, but as a balding 66 year old fat man I have come to enjoy a few comforts, mostly because I don't have to put up with the old 2/60 air conditioning systems we used as youngsters!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero