News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mustang hydro-boost

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-18 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Has anyone looked into, or done, adapting a 90's mustang hydro boost brake setup into the 57's. will it work with the granada disc set up I have?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i have test fitted the booster to the dash.do not have pedals in my test fit ranchero so could not test the pedal fit.the booster does clear the 4.6.am going to try the master cylinder off the 02 mustang.will put in a porportioning valve in,out of a granada.will put in a residual presser valve in the rear brakes.should work i hope 

dgasman

Yes I have installed one on my ranchwagon . The rod needs to be lengthen . To lengthen the rod you need to cut the end off the rod and then thread the rod on the booster . You will need a threaded coupler and using your rod from your car you will need to cut it to length and thread it then bolt them together .I used lock nuts and lock tight so the rods wont come loose . Use a 1999 and newer booster set up as these are a better unit . I know there is more to do I just don't remember at the moment will try to post a pic of the unit installed tomorrow
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

pics would be great. thanks...Rich

dgasman

To bolt the unit onto the firewall you will need to remove the two lower studs on the factory boosters mount. The two top studs on the factory mount go into the two top master cylinders holes in the firewall with no modifications. You need to drill two holes in the mount for bottom bolts to match the lower master Cylinder holes in the firewall ,I made a template with cardboard so I could drill the bracket. The big hole for the master needs to be enlarged . I did this with a 2 inch hole saw ,you will see a dimple just above the big hole of the master and that is were the pilot drill of the hole saw needs to be to enlarge the hole.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

dgasman

one more time
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

canadian_ranchero

are you using drum brakes with that master cylinder?

RICH MUISE

I was wondering the same thing. something I read on the abs website led me to wonder if hydraulic boosters had enough psi to stop our heavy cars. abs's unit puts out 1300-1600 psi (don't know the reason for the wide range) with disc brakes, they said, needing 1500psi...Rich

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-20 21:24
I was wondering the same thing. something I read on the abs website led me to wonder if hydraulic boosters had enough psi to stop our heavy cars. abs's unit puts out 1300-1600 psi (don't know the reason for the wide range) with disc brakes, they said, needing 1500psi...Rich
RICH i checked the weights on 2000-2004 mustang gt.they are about 3400 to 3500 lbs.very similar to the 57 fords.so the booster should work   

dgasman

Yes I am running disc brakes with the unit with no problems . This booster was used by ford on 4 wheel disc cars so they will make all the pressure you will need to stop .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: dgasman on 2010-05-25 11:54
  Yes I am running disc brakes with the unit with no problems . This booster was used by ford on 4 wheel disc cars so they will make all the pressure you will need to stop .
are you running 4 wheel disc or disc front drum rear?

dgasman

front disc, rear drums from a 71 ltd wagon
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

cruzin71

Rich,
I am running 4 wheel disc with hydro boost so far work great. I driven down street & moved car around the house. Had to modify the rod length.

RICH MUISE

Dgasman...thanks for the pics and info.I added it to my shopping list.

1957 Ranch Joe

I Have a booster and mounting bracket for 57 Wagon fitts well I will send picks