News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mustang hydro-boost

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-18 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

dgasman: I'm going to my parts yard Saturday to pull the windshield wiper system off a 97 mustang, which also has the hydroboost setup on it which I can probably get cheap because it's going into the crusher next week. You had recommended a 99 or newer unit because they were a better setup. Is there very much difference between the two years? Like everyone else, I like to save a few bucks when I can, but if the 99's are that much better I'll wait.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dgasman

Yes the 99 and newer system is the better system , if I remember right the booster has a little bigger piston and a larger master cylinder . I bought mine off eBay for around $90  compleat . Try to buy the booster and master together  because the master is expensive by itself .
I to like to save money (I'm cheep)  :002:
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

I picked up a hydro-booster/master setup today in Oklahoma city (150.) complete Not as good a deal as dgasman's ebay deal but it was there and in good shape and no shipping.. It's off an '01 mustang GT. I was wondering what function the electrical connection on the bottom of the fluid cannister had. I found out '99 thru 04 are all the same, and only came in v-8 mustangs...although I can't imagine there are a whole lot of sixes around anyways. Thanks for all your input guys...it makes my life alot easier...Rich

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-09-16 21:03
I picked up a hydro-booster/master setup today in Oklahoma city (150.) complete Not as good a deal as dgasman's ebay deal but it was there and in good shape and no shipping.. It's off an '01 mustang GT. I was wondering what function the electrical connection on the bottom of the fluid cannister had. I found out '99 thru 04 are all the same, and only came in v-8 mustangs...although I can't imagine there are a whole lot of sixes around anyways. Thanks for all your input guys...it makes my life alot easier...Rich
the electrical connection on the bottom of the canister is a low brake fluid sensor.the hydro i am using is off a 02.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info Gary. I guess I could have figured that one out if I had thought about it being where it's at. I was looking at the assembly this morning trying to figure out the best way to clean it up and make it pretty, how far it could be disassembled for repaint, etc., and I noticed the canister was a little loose. Does anyone know how the cannisters are attached to the body? It looks like it may just be a push on.Also, if Gary or someone else could give me a rundown on how they operate, and what the different components are I'd sure appreciate it.
I am assuming, unlike the traditional seperate booster/master setup, this is a combined booster/master ( the component closest to the firewall) and the part the fluid cannister sits on is a type of chamber which is sort of an extention of the master cylinder??? or do I have that guess all wrong and the part under the cannister is the master cylinder???

canadian_ranchero

Rich,the hydro boost is the part that bolts to the firewall,the master cylinder bolts to it.if you are careful,you can pull the plastic reservoir off the master cylinder body.it is mounted in grommets.the boost comes from presser the power steering pump supplys.it stores extra presser in a accumulator so you have 2 more stops if you loose presser for any reason.if you have any more questions,just ask and i will try and answer them 

RICH MUISE

my car has granada discs up front and will have larger drums in back. I got the mustang proportioning valve with the unit. Can I use it or do I need something else? Gary...I noticed you were going to use a proportioning valve from a Granada. Dgasman: on the physical mounting of the unit, in your pics it looks like you mounted the unit level instead of at the upward angle that the mounting plate would position it. I didn't get to see the unit in the mustang so I don't know if the unit is suppose to be level or angled up as the shape of the fluid canister would suggest. If you mounted yours level, did you modify the mounting plate to accomplish that? I'll also have some "hookin' it up" questions down the road..such as the steering pump lines...does it run thru the hydro boost to the steering box or do you need seperate lines for each coming off the pump?

canadian_ranchero

the mustang proportioning valve is set up for 4wheel disc brakes.you need one for disc/drum,granada will work,even a mid 80's crown vic should work.the hydro boost sits at a angle,the master reservoir is level on top.also the hydro boost needs to be at a upward angle to clear the 4.6.as a side note i am using the complete brakes out of the versailles,front[same as granada except for ball joint size]the disc brake rear end and proportion valve and the mustang booster.you should put a residual check valve in the line to the rear brakes so the mustang master will work 

dgasman

Rich ,

My booster is mounted with the upward tilt and I too am using a Granada proportioning valve . For running the lines to the booster it goes to the booster then to the power steering box/rack but there are two return lines one from the booster and one from the box/rack.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

bossguy

This is interesting! I never considered this option. It's my sons project and he's 1500 miles away. He has the enthusiasm but not the experience with these things. He likes the "old school" Billet proof look. I'm wondering if the P/S pump needs to be changed? The donor car came with the 69 ford style pump. A buddy I grew up with now has a body shop in Orange, Ca about 2 blocks from ABS Brake. He's attending the Mooneyes Reunion with him tomorrow and is going to try to get me a better deal on the parts. Speedway Auto has the dual 8" booster/master setup for 179.00 but I'm unsure of the brackets. My friend has ABS Brakes and steering box in the 57 Ranchero he is building but I'm not sure if they're installed yet. He traded body work for the parts from ABS.

62galxe

I know this is a old post but trying to keep the info together. Just bought a hydroboost setup for my wagon. When doing the swap does the 57 pedal ratio (location of pin on brake pedal) work ok. Ive read where on some cars they relocate the pin.

gasman826

OEM pin location should be fine.  I use Granada fronts and SVO/Explorer rears with manual bias valve.  All the brakes you'll ever need short of roadracing.  Easy pedal effort.  I stayed with all Saginaw...pump, steering, and hydraulic booster.  Since I have a manual transmission, I circulate the PS oil through the automatic transmission cooler in the radiator.

RICH MUISE

Gary...Talk to me about thoase Saginaw hydraulic boosters. What are they  off of? It sure looks a whole lot better, cleaner look than the Mustang set up I was planning on using.

gasman826

Later model Mustang hydraulic booster is pretty much the same thing...just a newer version.  Ford used the Saginaw system on the '70s Lincolns (GM used these boosters on many pickups).  Since I'm using many '70s Lincoln parts (460), it was simply easier.  Brackets and pulleys are harder to match to the block than booster stuff.  If I were doing a 4.6, I would stay with the late model Mustang stuff with the correct pump and brackets for the engine.  Metric lines, coolers and boosters are readily available.  I think you are already using Mustang column and peddle support so the booster and master will bolt right on.  You would then have a matching system with the pump, brackets, lines, cooler, booster, master, and peddle.  Depending on the rack used, you may have flow or pressure issues with only the rack.  I would be surprised if your rack requirements don't match the pump pressure/flow.  I am very pleased with this brake system.  With big valve overlap, there is no vaccum at low RPM but I still have great brakes.  This is one of the best brakes systems I have ever driven.

RICH MUISE

Awesome...thanks for the info.
I am using a Mustang column, but I adapted it to the oem '57 bracket and pedal ass'y. When I did that, I hadn't made the final decision on the 4.6, so I never even thought about trying to adapt the Mustang pedal bracket, probably wasn't even thinking of not being able to use a std. booster at that time. I may have some issues to resolve mating the booster up to that...we'll see.