News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mustang hydro-boost

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-05-18 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

I used a mid '70s Lincoln support modified on the dash end to fit the '65 Thunderbird dash.  I used the '57 pedals.  I also used a piece of Lincoln firewall for the booster pattern.  If you modified your firewall for a four bolt booster pattern, it will likely fit.

RICH MUISE

Well, almost a year later, and I'm at the point where I need to start this pretty soon. Last fall I saw a tri-five chevy at a show that had a much neater looking setup, the reason being, aside from having a more traditional master cylinder,  his installer flipped the boost portion of the assembly upside down so the hose connections were coming out underneath the booster instead of on top. I'm wondering if this is a posibility with the Mustang units?
Rereading this thread, I've got a few questions. Dgasman's info in particular for me is going to be really helpful. I'm going to repost one of his photos here because it will make my "where do these hose go?" question easier as each of his hoses are of a different material/color
So...where do these hoses go? Dgasman...are you running power R & P steering?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

It is a pressurized system so there is no upside down.  I flipped mine to clear the valve cover years ago and it works excellent.

RICH MUISE

OK...excellent.. I'm trying to figure out what that cannister type thing is attached to your upper side panel.

dgasman

Rich,

I am running a Borgeson box but it will still plumb the same way.

The lighter blue hose is the return line and goes back to the pump.

The darker blue hose is the press hose from the pump.

The black hose is the press hose to the box/ rack.

Then the box/ rack return hose back to the pump .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Fantastic..and quick..thanks a ton, saves my lazy butt a ton of research. What do you think about flipping the booster over? I know access to the line connections will be more difficult, but I'm thinking it would sure clean up the compartment a bunch. Thanks again.
oops..another question...how did you handle the two return lines to the pump, and did your pump have a remote reservoir?
I need to take a close look at the oem pump/lines setup to figure out what was on the car before I disassembled it from the front clip/rack to pull the engine.

dgasman

Rich,

You could flip the booster but you are limited with the master Cylinder you have because the bolts are at 11:00 / 5:00 position. You would only be able to do a 180 flip. Then there is the locating groove in the mount and booster you would have to modify  or make a new mount. If you wanted the bolts at the 9:00/ 3:00 position you would need a new master and make a new mount.

For the return lines I used the reservoir from a f350 ford truck it has the provisions for two return hose in it. I'm not sure witch ps pump you have but I would look at a mustang reservoir of the same year to see how ford did it.

I know people tie the two return lines together but I have read where some have had problems with this, to much fluid from the two into the one line.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Good thinking....I'll have to make a trip to the local yard to check out the Mustang reservoirs. It would make life simpler if I could just swap reservoirs. I made a sketch of what I think is the correct routing. based on what you told me earlier....have a look, see what you think

dgasman

that looks right but I wouldnt run the cooler on the pressure side of the plumbing . I dont think they are rated for that PSI . All coolers I have seen from the factory have been on the return side.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Thank you....the return line thru the cooler was my original thinking....I changed it on the advise of a local friend who said he didn't think there would be enough pressure on the return  to run it thru the cooler(which didn't make sense to me..it's a closed system, it's got to keep circulating).. He also thought it would be better to cool the fluid before it got to the booster. I thought what difference does it make when it gets cooled as long as it does. This is why I get second opinions, and third, etc. Additionally, I was almost 100% sure the Mark viii oem setup ran the return thru the cooler. I was going to try and find an assembled mark to double check tommorrow.

gasman826

I don't have a picture of the complete routing but this picture shows the back of the Saginaw (ham bone) pump with two returns.  Since the steering (rack) produces more heat than the brake booster, I ran the rack return line though the radiator's automatic transmissions cooling tank and then back to the pump reservoir.  The two return port Saginaw reservoir is unique to hydraulic power booster vehicle but will interchange with single port Saginaw ham bone pumps.  Very common on GM pickups and vans. 

Don't run the cooler on the pressure side!

Red and blue was the Aero Quip colors that made them easily recognized.  I am slowly changing mine out to black or brushed stainless but I am NOT throwing the red/blue ones out.  They are just TOO expensive to toss.

RICH MUISE

I read an article not too long ago about a household product that removed the dye from the fittings. From the article I gathered the coloring wasn't anodize as you would expect, but something easily removed with the right product. I'll have to see if I can find it again. May have been you tube.It's gonna be in the 70's today..good day for a romp at the local salvage yards to see if I can find a 2 return reservoir.
The red/blue works on your car with the blue engine block, red frame....Mine's black and red, trying like crazy to avoid the blue.

RICH MUISE

DGASMAN: does this look like the reservoir you used? If it does, I'd sure like to see a pic of your install. Looks big in the illustration, but hard to tell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-POWER-STEERING-FLUID-RESERVOIR-FORD-EXCURSION-F250-F350-F450-F550-SD-/360644857900?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-350+Super+Duty&hash=item53f81bd02c&vxp=mtr
Mustangs did not use a reservoir with two returns. They actually had a "T" type fitting below the reservoir. Unfortunatly, it can only be ordered from Ford with the hose that runs to the booster, 10-14 day delivery, 125., but the real downside is it has the quickchange fittings. So, Mustang components are out. Lots of aftermarket billet stuff available, but none I could find with 2 returns. Having a billet one made with an additional return is a posibility...I guess all I'd need is to have another nipple welded in.

dgasman

Rich,

I am using the round ford pump ,there it a pic of it a few post up . Does your car use a remote reservoir ? If so that looks like a good option . Don't you live in the land of trucks ? Look at a car dealer around you to see if they a truck of that vintage pop the hood and see how big that reservoir is . I have been known to do stranger things than that.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Another good idea..couldn't find one in the salvage yards. Yes my pump has a remote reservoir, I have no idea why I assumed yours did. When searching ebay for reservoirs, I found the Ford trucks were mostly of the vacumm booster variety, so there would be no need for a reservoir with dual return lines. Kinda like the Mustang..hard to find..the only mustangs that had the Hydroboost were the Cobras and Machs with the DOHC version.
Thanks for the reply