News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE into `57

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: FE into `57 Ford   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

biggreen57
'57 Ford aficionado
(8/13/01 9:20 am)
Reply 390 swap again...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like my last post didn't take. Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing the 312 in my custom 300 with a 390. From what I've heard, it seems like a fairly simple swap, but I'd like to hear from those of you who've been there & done that. What mounts will work? What tranny options will I have (right now I've got the 3 speed o/d on the column)? Will I be looking at any crossmember, driveshaft, wiring, or radiator problems? Who has headers that'll fit? I'd appreciate any help you folks can offer!

406Custom300
megaford_57
(8/13/01 4:15 pm)
Re: 390 swap again...
The stock y-block mounts will bolt right on. I haven't got to the crossmember yet, but from my measurements and tales from my dad's old Custom 300, it's a bolt-in. The crossmember with th multi bolts on each end will likely be a pain to line back up will laying under the car, but it will work. You will want a better driveshaft than the original `57 unit. I haven't measured for mine yet, but I plan to buy an aluminum one to replace whatever I start out with anyway. FPA(Ford PowerTrain) and Crites make a set, also Heddman, but they were out of stock the last I checked. I bought a set of Crites headers for my Custom 300, and you may or may not like them. My `57 isn't a lowrider, so it doesn't make any difference to me. These headers have the front two tubes on each side drop straight down, and run infront of and then underneath the main crossmember. FPA headers are of the tri-y design. Your tranny choices are pretty fair. With a manual bellhousing, you can run a BW T-10, be sure of the vintage of parts, as early units have narrow bolt patterns. Later toploaders usually have both bolt patterns. Of course there is the toploader, which you likely wouldn't tear up. If you wanted to stay with a 3 speed, there are 2or three different 3 speeds, but the best would be the synronized version. If you want overdrive, there is a kit to convert a Tremec 5 speed for the FE with a shorter input shaft. Lastly, automatic choices are slim. There is a C6, but you have to be careful about the floor and trans tunnel, as they really weren't made for a trans as big and beefy as the C6. As for cooling, you might want to inest in a Griffin aluminum or comparable radiator.
"This ain't no joyride, this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile..."
Blackie Lawless, W.A.S.P. Helldorado

bobsyellow1957
'57 Ford aficionado
(8/16/01 8:17 am)
Reply Re: 390 swap again...
390"-428" and all of FE engines are a bolt in you reverse the stock 292"-312" side engine mounts,and the stock crossmember is in correct place to mount what ever trans comes with FE engine, you can bolt your390" to your O/D 3 speed for now and git it driveable. The stock radiator should cool the 390" if it's in good shape the 6 holer radiator cooled my 427" with a 6 blade fan, the throttle arm may need some reshaping mine was a 6 cylinder{ actually a 5- #1 rod was pushing the generator sideways} and I streightened the rod /arm on firewall and hooked up the Tri-power the Fe style log exhaust manafolds cleared the A-arm mounts,{nobody had headers in 1967,eventally welded up my own fenderwell headers ,I had to run fuel line to other side of frame {6 holer} your V-8 fuel line should be in proper place,for tempthe stock generator should bolt to FE engine with some minnor adjustments,even better to convert to altnator.
I think F.P.A has header for this swap will make it better,take my word it's a sweet swap you will love it,much as I like the Y-block you can't beet cubic -inches,and parts availabity of later 390'-428" engines.

tudor
'57 Ford aficionado
(9/3/01 7:29 pm)
Bobsyellow57, since your car was a 6 banger, what rear end did you put in it, my car was a 6 also, but has a 4:11 (?) gear in it. Reall make that 390 wind up. any suggestions?

Dan the tudor man

406Custom300
megaford_57
(9/3/01 8:06 pm)
Re: 390 swap again...
4.11? is that all? Mine has a 4.56, lol lotsa fun, I hope. Should be ready to drive it in a couple months or so. Mine came with a 3.10 if you want to do some swapping. In good shape, just not low enough gear for Chevy trouncing...I mean hey, it would do the job, but I'm talking severe humiliation of late model Z cars here....If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing the heck out of, you know what I mean..
"This ain't no joyride, this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile..."
Blackie Lawless, W.A.S.P. Helldorado

bobsyellow1957
'57 Ford aficionado
(9/18/01 8:51 am)
Sorry for late reply been out of town "Ford meet in Columbus"- on west to St.Louis and back, as well as my memory serves me the origional rear was a 9" with 3.7 sometin ratio. Me and First wife managed to bend that rear,swapped a 59 rear with 3.50's and drove that on street in 67-68{lots of topend in Texas} Swapped in 4.86 till this year am going to try 4.57 with the C-6.

mtkawboy
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:   

New on here. Built a 427/425 Fe powered 57 Custom 300 back in 63. This will hurt, dealers cost plus 10% was $750 for the complete engine and I mean complete down to plug wires. The motor bolts right in. By using a 58 police car steering box ground down I was able to use the factory 427 cast iron headers, You have to grind the steering box down, grind a hole in the header where it hits the box and braze in an upside down flat beveled freeze plug, mill the exhaist side of the heads and the manifold surface. I only did it because everyone said it couldnt be done. The right side bolts right in. Nobody made headers back then so it was that or flat 58 manifolds. I also used the bigger police brakes and the police 3 speed OD on the column for the sleeper effect. Messed up a lot of 55-57 chevy owners brains with it too. Bought the rolled 58 hiway patrol car for $250 for all the parts. Later on I put a Borg-WarnerT-10 aluminum case 4 speed put of a factory lightweight 63 Galaxie in it. Broke 17 axles street racing it

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ray

hey, been looking through the engine swap stuff. Thinking about putting a 427 MR dual quad in a '57 Fairlane 500 hardtop. The fe has a toploader right now. that should work, but the motor has a ford deep sump oil pan. Anybody know if that will fit? or do I have to go back to a stock pan.

I  have 64 cast headers on the motor right now. I also have a set of 406's. If what I read is right, the shorties would be the best bet.

Any info would help.

btw, long term project. almost done with the first convert. in body work on the second. Been out of the loop for about 15 years.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lalessi1

Ray, the swap is a simple bolt in. I used Y block motor mounts in the stock posistion (the open end facing the rear) and stock transmission mount and a stock crossmember. I believe I have a stock 6 cyl drive shaft fit to a short tailshaft 4 spd top loader. I would be happier if I had a little more tailshaft spline engagement though. (My car is a Custom, btw.) A mid length tailshaft toploader would be ideal. I have a Hurst shifter and I went through a couple of mounting plates and Comp Plus models before I was happy. I can give you details on that if you need it. The only fabrication was moving the engine side pivot point 1" towards the rear to keep the Z-bar inline. I do not think that either factory exhaust manifold sets will fit wihout modifications from what I have read. I have always had the box type. I do have a set of older FPA headers for a 67 Mustang that will fit. I will post a pic of the clutch pivot bracket tomorrow. The left valve cover is about 1/2" from the fire wall. I replaced the throttle pedal screws with bolts fitted from the firewall side for clearance. From what I can see there should no issues with a deep sump oil pan. I was using a standard V-8 radiator, no shrould and a 4 blade fan. The car would overheat a little in stop and go traffic I am switching to a 7 blade fan and a high volume water pump on the 462 stroker and hoping for the best.
Lynn

Ray

Thanks for the info Lynn. confirms what I remember for the most part. The top loader is a mid length unit. Also Hurst shifter. It's been in a 55 T-Bird and a 64 convert over the years. I bought a couple of the Hurst adapter plates for the shifter 30 years ago. what I have found is they can be re-drilled for whatever angle you want the shifter at.

I'll keep the forum posted if and when I start.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lalessi1

My biggest issue with the Hurst shifter was the one I started with was for a late '60s Fairlane with a weird offset handle that could not be readily changed out and that made the hole in the floor was awkward.
Lynn

JPotter57

Ray, as long as you dont lower the car, the deep pan should be ok.  Is that one of the Ford C8AX pans?  I looked for one of those, finally gave up and bought a Canton t-pan.  It is just slightly deeper than a stock pan.  Can't wait to get my 427 in my car.  Still rounding up flywheel bellhousing and clutch parts right now.  Also, will be reporting here soon how my header swap goes.  I have a couple acquaintances who have successfully used 1968 Mustang 390-428 Hooker Headers 6114 on 57 Fords, and I bought a set to try.  As soon as I get my trans stuff together, I will post photos on my build thread in the projects section of the forum.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Does the low mount alternator clear the frame?  Or do you have to use as high mount?

59meteor

On my 59 with a 428 CJ, I mocked up the alternator in both the low and the high mounting postions, using factory brackets for both. The low mount does work, but I went with the high mount just for ease of access, if I need to change or adjust the belts. I have a later Ford 3G alternator (130 amp), with the dual belts. With a single belt, you can get away without a fan spacer, but at least with the cooling fans I tried, running dual belts required a fan spacer to clear the crank pulley so the fan is fairly close to the radiator. Something to consider if you plan on using a mechanical fan.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

dgasman

On my 58 ranchero I have the low mount and it fits with lots of room . I too have the 3G alternator with dual belts .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

gasman826

I too have a 3G and in the high mount, it is really close to the head and exhaust manifold.  I have two belts on the alternator and another two belts for the AC.  I am very doubtful there will be room for mechanical fan.  Thanks for the info.

gasman826

I am also mocking up brackets for the cammer going into the '41.  The crank center to the inside of the frame is only 10" and there is no high mount on a cammer.  I may have to do the NASCAR thing and run the alternator off the rear end.

59meteor

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-08-16 20:53
I too have a 3G and in the high mount, it is really close to the head and exhaust manifold.  I have two belts on the alternator and another two belts for the AC.  I am very doubtful there will be room for mechanical fan.  Thanks for the info.
My car has manual steering and no /A/C, so the dual belts only connect the water pump, alternator and crank pulleys. I could imagine an extra groove (or 2) on the crank pulley would cause interference with the blades on a mechanical fan. My 18" steel flex fan only clears the rad by about 1/2", and the crank pulley by less than that. Unless I modified my rad or rad support to move the radiator  forward to the 6 cylinder location, I doubt I could add another belt.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

GhostMachine

I am thinking of putting a FE 390 into my 57 Ford 300... I want to keep the 3 shift on the colume.   I currently have a 292....

Any advice...

Bell Housing
Headers... Thinking FPA shorty's
Motor Mounts..
Will the current Radiator work...
Throttle Linkage...

Thanks for your help..... 

59meteor

I have a 428CJ and Toploader 4 speed in my 59. I used an early FE car bellhousing and factory clutch linkage, as well as the FPA short style headers specifically made for 57-59 Ford cars. I did need to do a couple of minor modifications to the clutch linkage for the headers, pretty simple. Not sure how the 3 on the tree column shifter will work with the headers.You can use motor mounts for a 58 with a 332-352 , they may even be the same as the Y Block mounts. On my car, and my previous 57 with a FE, I retained manual trans. factory throttle pedal and just made a rod to connect to my Holley carb. On the 57 I used the original rad from the 272, on my 59, I bought a new, stock looking aluminum radiator from Auto City Classic in Minnesota.