News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stock rims for radials

Started by mort1928, 2010-07-08 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

I remember there was a problem Coker had a few years ago with
flexing and cracking wheels.
Started with wheelcovers coming off in turns.....

Took another look at the 2 wheels side by side, the newer ones are
quite a bit thicker steel and heavier dispite having cooling holes all the
way around.

Ron.

hiball3985

Interesting, I've never seen a sticker like that. Tire manufactures must just assume radials aren't going on old cars. But wheel covers flying off happened back when they were bias tires.
I don't remember how many times the wheel covers flew of the old Buick on "Highway Patrol", and then the next scene they would be back on  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Here is an informative article by SEMA. I stand corrected sorta, this is not a simple issue. Clear as mud!
http://www.sema.org/files/attachments/WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf
Lynn

Lucky'57

Well that does make some sense, with the age and thinness of the original 57 wheels, I think my best bet would be to go ahead and use them with my radials and monitor closely any pressure loss not associated with valve or punctures.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

hiball3985

Very interesting to read, thanks Lynn.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

Lucky,
I'd look for some Granada whls.
Should be cheap and if you ever wanted to change to
Granada disc brakes you wouldn't need to change again.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Lucky'57

Man, those Granada wheels '78 to '80 are almost impossible to find around here. I haven't hit the auto wreckers yet but that's the plan. For the moment (until something better comes along) I'm going to have to go with my stock wheels.

Update - Found 5 in Manitoba, they're on the Greyhound today.  :004:
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)