News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

460 motor mounts

Started by rmk57, 2010-10-26 19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

bossguy

I just returned to NY after spending a week in Fla helping my son with the swap. I'm wondering if the oil pan sump should stay above the lowest point of the crossmember to protect the sump or does the engine sit low enough to extend below the crossmember? My friend says the crossmember should be below the sump. The engine is sitting in the frame mounts now but is not bolted down. The rubber on the l/s mount is resting on the frame mounts but the r/s is about 3/8 above the frame mount. My son thinks he still has room to slot the r/s frame mount but I suggested a 1/4 inch spacer under each rubber mount to raise it and level it? The trans doesn't appear to be hitting the floor but the crossmember still needs to be notched for the C-6 pan. Then the crossmember can be bolted up and the trans mount sorted out.
Also the 69 Merc 429 front springs are cosiderably taller than the Edsel springs (59 ford). Any suggestions on which springs to use with the 69 Merc disc brake spindles? Thanks

F570RD

Is this what your after

bossguy

Yes, thank you. I forwarded the pic to my son. The trans mount looks fairly straight forward. The motor mounts on that car are different from ay I have seen. Thanks again.

rmk57

This installation looks like a worst case scenario, engine to far forward and sitting up to high. I've seen other installs where the engine sits lower
and further back which is what I'm going to shoot for. If you plan on using headers your stock cross member won't work, as the collectors dump right
in front of it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

F570RD

I'm with ya on that rmk57.The back sump arc to my engine oil pan is ultra close to the front of the tubed crossmember.You can see that the trans. crossmember has been cut out for the pan,as I did with the FE in the car,but is way forward of said cut.

bossguy

I think we've all seen letters saying Crites kits mount the engine high and too far forward, and others that say it fits fine and couldn't go back any farther. I'm wondering if the mounts can be accidently installed backwards or on the wrong side?

shopratwoody

That sounds like a possibility. It's been so long I don't remember
if that's possible. I know with the homemade plates I made once
the engine was too high and foward. Had to trim the fan so it
wouldn't hit top hose. I have the Crite mounts for and aft and
like the way it sits. I run the FPA headers as I said before.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!