News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door switches don't operate dome light

Started by ptwood, 2011-02-14 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Aaaawwwwesome Bill...I got it straight finally. Thanks a ton for your patience. No need to apologize for being basic...that's what I need and why I keep saying I'm a novice. Hopefully I'll get it done tommorrow.
I ordered some 10 ga sxl wire tonight to finish laying out the lines to the back that I need or may need later. After using the sxl wire I bought when I started this, and what I got with the RF kit, I just can't bring myself to using the primary stuff sold in the chain stores....even though the sxl costs 4x as much, the peace of mind is worth it. I was amazed to see how much difference there was with it when I first got it.
Thanks...I owe you a beer
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Maybe a bit late here but this might help some peeps understand these relays.
Scroll to about 1/3 of the way down the page to where it says The Famous Bosch Relay & check out the interactive demos below that, about 1/2 way down the page.   The most useful things I saw on the page.  There are a couple of them & you can switch them off, on, disconnect power & so on.
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Pix of them ...

Closed switch

Open switch

Power disconnected

RICH MUISE

That's one of the best teaching sites I've ever seen. lots of interesting links, and I love the interactive part. I added that one to my favorites list..gonna have to spend alot of time there. It's mostly an auto audio site, but even if you're not doing audio, there's a wealth of info such as the different types of relays you brought up, how they work, and how to use them. Thanks for posting that link Tom, I'm going to add it in our tech info links board.
Rich

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-08-08 08:27I'm going to add it in our tech info links board.
Cool!    Glad I could contribute something deemed to be good info.  Tacked on something there.

Ford Blue blood

Yup...good info there.  His basic electronics and theory of operation are pretty much spot on.  Great site!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Got the dome light wiring all done yesterday except for the actual dome light which is not mounted yet. (Funny, I found out yesterday that dome light I got at a salvage yard is the same as the one in the Mark viii sitting in my back yard.) I'm not real happy with my planning on the layout of the wiring...5 splices in one area near the fuse panel doesn't make for a nice neat installation. I may go back in and replace 2 of the wires that are too short to let me move the 'congestion' of wires up out of the way.
I was thinking this morning maybe I coulda/shoulda have used a small terminal strip in place of the splices to keep the wires routed neater.
I did find a way to splice two wires to one neatly. I used 1/4" fully insulated disconnects, except I paired up a 10 gage with a 16 gage. The 10/12 gage size on one end is just barely large enough for 2 16 ga wires.
I'm finding out there aren't a whole lot of options, at least in the auto zones,etc, for crimp type splices. I'm not real crazy about the blue quick-splice 'no cutting' fittings, and they don't work with the sxl wire anyway.