News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ABS booster dilema

Started by bossguy, 2011-04-02 15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

bossguy

Hi, I'm in NY and my son and his 59 Edsel are in Fla. I ordered him the dual diaphram 8" booster and master. He had it next to the car today and does not like the 'look" of it. He thinks its too big and goes as far forward as the 429 valve cover. After considerable research on this subject (Mostly on this site) I felt this was the best performing setup for the car. He thanked me for ordering it for him but wants to send it back and get something more compact to use with the 69 Merc disc set up. Any thoughts? suggestions? Thanks

Ford Blue blood

Look at the new hydro boost that one of the guys (sorry the screen name escapes me at the moment) put on his.  It is remote electric pump that provides the boost and it all can be hidden except the master cylinder.  It is advertised in most of the "car magazines".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Bossguy:

It was probably my ABS Remote Mount Hydraulic Power Brake Booster that I had installed on my 57.  I had gotten tired of a 9" vacuum Power Brake Booster and the associated vacuum accumulator I had to mount  in the void inside the engine compartment behind the left front wheel.  I replaced it a couple of years ago with the ABS Remote Mount Hydraulic Power Brake Booster setup.  Now that my 351W is supercharged, I wouldn't have had room for the old vacuum booster.  Photo attached.  The actual remote hydraulic booster is not very large and can be located attached to the frame rail, mine is actually located directly under the front seat on the driver side of the car.  As long as the remote booster is below the master cylinder to allow brake fluid to drain back into the booster, it can be mounted just about anywhere.  A very nice system.  Also you can select from a number of different master cylinders to fit the look you are looking for.  Rick has one in his 427 FE Custom 300 above his fenderwell headers.

Bob
57 AGIN

bossguy

Thanks guys, I called ABS yesterday and asked him about alternatives. He said the hydro boost was very popular. Only downside is $1100.00  Since the car is not a hoodless hot rod I asked my son to reconsider and just use the tandem 8" booster. I told him greater minds than ours designed this and I'd rather see him safe than compromise. The price difference between this 350.00 setup and $1100.00 would pay for the ABS power steering box.

RICH MUISE

I understand your dilema...I almost decided against the hydro boost unit from the mustang for your son's reasons, but my final thinking was exactly what your thoughts were..safety first, budget second,looks third.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

bossguy

Well, it looks like the booster is going back to ABS this week. He thought I was getting a return authorization for it. Anyone in the SE interested? I can save you some shipping. Jack

Custom300Madman

@Boss if you still have it as well as a picture of when it was hooked up I'd like to see it thanks.
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

bossguy

I'm sorry, it went back last April.He now has a 9" Mustang II booster mounted and still has to fit the SSBS adjustable push rod to the manual 59 brake pedal. The thing he didn't like about the ABS system is that it extended forward from the firewall almost the length of the 429 valve cover.

Custom300Madman

Oh wow, yeah I can imagine it looking a little funky. It takes away your attention from the engine.
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

57AGIN

Custom300Madman & Bossguy:

I certainly understand the cost matter being an issue.  This was one of the reasons I went with a more conventional vacuum booster assembly along with a vacuum accumulator when I did my original refurbishment back in 2003.  I've attached a photo of that setup, before I went with the New Electric Hydraulic brake booster assembly from ABS Brakes.  You can see the large (about 9" dia) black vacuum booster and the polished aluminum vacuum booster mounted in the upper area of the fenderwell behind the front tire. The old system worked pretty good, but was still dependent on vacuum being accumulated and my 351W doesn't put out very much vacuum even though the Edlebrock RPM series hydraulic cam is fairly mild (intake/exhaust duration= 224/234 degrees & intake/exhaust lift .496"/.520").  My vacuum never exceeded 13" Hgand without the vacuum accumulator ABS advised me that for safe vacuum brake operation 15" Hg is needed. 

My system was upgraded to the ABS Electic Hydraulic Brake system in Feb. 2008, however I got a "deal" due to a discussion with the ABS people at one of the car shows they had set up a booth to display their new system.  My "deal" was for $700 & we did the installation.  Not cheap, but safer & in my opinion got rid of a large vacuum booster and vacuum accumulator.  I don't feel that the approximately 8" extention off the firewall was excessive.  In fact getting rid of the big vacuum booster shortened the extention distance from the firewall.  $1100 is a lot to pay, I'd do it again if I had to.  But that is very much dependent on personal finances and what I'm currently able to do in my early years of retirement and still working part-time.

Bob
57 AGIN

bossguy

Thanks for the pics Bob, thats a beautiful car. My son is still going to college in Fla and is working part time so money is a problem till he graduates. He is also supporting a 70 Ranchero GT (San Jose car!) thats finished. I'll attempt to add a pic of the Edsel that was photoshopped with the help of a guy in Germany on the H.A.M.B. I hope this is the way he finishes it, but it's his project. (Thats his Ranchero in the background)

57AGIN

Bossguy:

If your son is still going to college and is able to still work on his auto-hobby cars, he must be a very special kid.  Sounds like you surely raised him right.  Best wishes.

Bob
57 AGIN