News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Glen Henderson: Come on in!

Started by JPotter57, 2011-05-26 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Glen, I will be bending your ear some in the next several months.  I have decided again, now that I have sold you all my Y stuff, to buy more Y stuff and build it to take to Ohio and other nostalgia  events.  I have found a couple 292s, and will be looking into one of Mummert's stroker kits later.  I noticed on the Y forum, that you have quite a bear of a Y now, and I figured you would be the one to ask.  I saw your combo listed, and it sounds like it would be fairly straight forward to duplicate.  Are the heads ported, and if so, who did them?  How long is the waiting list on the stroker kit, or did you have it made on your own 312 crank core?  Are the rods stock 312 or aftermarket?
I have been watching videos of Wally Kerstein's `56, and man, that thing really turns my crank.  This is what I have in mind:  somewhere between 312 and 338 inches, G heads, maybe with bigger valves, dont know enough to make that decision yet, the Isky 505 cam, somewhere between 10.5 and 11.5 compression, either a Blue Thunder or Mummert intake, MSD distrib, some good headers, either fenderwell or otherwise, and a manual trans, maybe even a T5 5 speed with about 4.11 gear.  Of course, this means I will have to pretty much re-do and respend everything I have done, engine wise, to this point, but I am looking at a Fox Mustang to put my Cleveland into for my daughter to play with at the drags, so all is not lost.  Give me a yell sometime, we'll talk.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

Good Deal James! There is also going to be some local races that I think you will enjoy, I'll tell you about later.
There is nothing over the top with my motor. The heads are posted G's, ported by Dan who works with Ted Eaton. The crank is a stroked 312 unit, rods are 6.3 Eagles, pistons are Wiseco with some special rings. Lonnie Putnam did the work on the C1TE block, 3.862 X 3.6 for 337.4 CI. Compression ratio is 13.24 to 1. Mummert intake with a 2" spacer, Holley vac sec 750 cfm with a Proform center sec. Damper West crank damper and one of Ted's new trick elec water pumps. The valve train consist of stock dia stainless valves, 427 low rise springs and 429 retainers with Dove 1.6 to 1 rockers. Ign is MSD dist and 6AL box. The cam is an Isky 505T with NOS lifters.
Ted did the balancing and assembly and 15 dyno pulls. There is more HP in this engine with a little more work and a cam change, but 415 hp @ 6200 and 403 lbft @ 4300 is enough for me right now. Give me a call or better yet come by and I can give you more details and possibly save you some money with mistakes that I made. In the mean time, start collecting parts.
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

When I pick up the engine from Ford Blue Blood, I'll try to get back down to Montgomery.  My Dad and sister are going on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year, and I had planned to come up to the Montgomery stop, but not sure now.  I was planning on doing the whole tour, but we just bought this house, and for about 2 months, we had to keep up the rent and utilities on the other house plus the payments and utilities at our new place...it was tight period there, but things are getting back to normal now, I have since sold my motorcycle and have exited the bike period, and I am getting close to being able to get my garage in order. 
That sounds like a good plan on the Y.  Did you end up making your own headers or did you use some of those Patriot headers for an F100?  I couldnt see them very well in the pictures of it in your Falcon, but from what I could see, they looked good.  I had contemplated getting a set for a scrub motor in a 55-57 brand x,  and cutting off the flanges and adding the Y flanges.  They are pretty close, and I had actually seen in an old Super Ford magazine where they did that, but not to fender exits.  Any advice and knowledge I can get on these engines, I will gladly take, as it will be new to me.  I know its the smae fundamentals, but the Y is a special breed, and has its own idiosyncrasies.
I'm not looking to set the world on fire, or set any Y block records, I just want a good running old car, the way they were.  Wally's car is a good example of what I want. His car runs high 12s low 13s.  My car has a lot of Crites fiberglass parts, plus a set of old AI glass fenders, and it should come in around 3400 lbs or so.  I wont leave it gutted, but I am not putting a lot of crap back in it either.  I figure on a rubber mat, everything delete, an aluminum case 5 speed trans, plus all of the lightweight parts should get it down.  I will be using my steel wheels for now, but will probably put a set of aluminum wheels on it eventually, something that compliments the look of the car.  It will probably be white, or maybe white/red or white/blue, something simple.  I have talked to Daryl Giveans and John Paske about the nostalgia deal that is being put together to run a Southern Circuit.  That sounds like a load of fun, and I would love to get involved in it.  Since I finally decided last year to put my car back to a near stock configuration body wise, I just couldnt get used to the idea of having a Cleveland in it.  It just wasnt right.  Now, if it were like my last Custom, bright yellow, very low, etc, yeah, I could see it.  I guess the closest thing to being right would have been the 390 and 4 speed.  I came very close to taking it apart and taking it to the machine shop, but I thought that if I were to spend that money, I could prob put a little more with it and build a pretty stout little motor that I could drive and then be able to take to Columbus once in a while, to the Texas event, other stuff like that, and participate with my friends, instead of sitting on the sidelines and watch.  I plan to go to Columbus this year, without my car of course, may drive my unibody F100.  I am going to try to get it repainted this summer, so it will look good for Cruisin the Coast, and I may drive it to Ohio, provided I find time to swap the 3.73 gear out to the 3.00, and the big gas sucking Holley out for a 525 Demon or Edelbrock.  That 5.0 should get 18 or better mpg, as it did in the other vehicle it was in, though with a much smaller carb.  I checked on flying to Columbus, and even with $4 gallon gas, I can get there cheaper driving, take longer though, 1000 miles, lol.  I'll give you a call later today...take care.
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

Hey James, I just saw where Wally ran a 12.24 @ 113 with his 329 ci y block powered 56 Ford. I know it is OT here, but if you have a pic of his car, post it up. I think the guys would enjoy seeing it because it is one beautiful 56. By the way guys this is not a race only car, it is street and strip!
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

That is incredible..I love that car, almost bought one about a week before I found ths 57.  I was thinking about it, then found this one on ebay, had to have it.  I'll try to get a pic of it up here in this thread later on.
Old, loud, and fast.