News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Preparing for the Y Block shootout 2012

Started by JPotter57, 2011-06-08 07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Hopefully, I will have my Custom ready to take to Columbus, Labor Day weekend 2012, to participate in the Y Block shootout.  I will be picking up a running 292 from Fordblublood in July hopefully to get the car sorted out.  The big news is that I just bought a running 312, and will be building it into a 322, or maybe a stroker, depending on money.  Not lookng to set the world on fire,  just some low 13s, maybe high 12s, but mainly to have a good time with my friends.  Wish me luck...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

You'll have a good time doing that James.You know that I raced mine for many years and had a great
time. Definetly a challenge to run low 12's with that set up I'm sure.
  You just need a motor home to pull it with to get the full benefit of being at the track.
That way the whole family can enjoy.You gotta quit changing direction with the car :burnout:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

tell me about it...costing some green, man...Hopefully, this will be the last time for a while. The appearance of the car isnt changing directions, just the engine and drivetrain.
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

Hopefully we will both be there with out hot Y-Blocks.

A yblock responds just like a small black with the right combo.   With your experience with the small block you can incorporate that into your Y.

I am doing some more major upgrades to my stroker(352 ci) Y-Block.    It already is a fast street car, but I am upgrading to the Mummert Aluminum heads, a VR4 impeller with improved boost and cfm, and some work on the carb and fuel system to handle the increased power.

I may not make it this year as I may not have it tuned out by Labor day with the new boy.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

57AGIN

James:

Are you going to run naturally aspirated or "blown"?  If you are going the "blown" route, does the shootout class require an original type VS57 Paxton McCulloch supercharger?  One of my buddies out here has an original type Paxton supercharger on his 57, of course his is blowing through his dual quads, very impressive.  His only complaint is the reliability of the bearings on the blower.  I really like the responsiveness of my Paxton-Novi setup, with the later technology they have apparently solved the bearing problems and it is both very reliable and streetable.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

I'm going naturally aspirated on mine.  At a later time, I would like to experiment with a 292, maybe some low compression heads, and a pair of T3 or T04 turbochargers.  For the time being though, for the next foreseeable  future anyway, I will be running all motor, no chemical or mechanical supercharging.   I would love to do a Novi, but its just not in my budget to go that kind of crazy.  Prob use around 10.5 or 11:1 compression, big cam, good heads, try to make enough power to go upper 12s or low 13s...I've been 11s and its fun, but I want to go fast with a Y block.  Eventually, I would like to end up something like Pats, with a big stroker, around 345-350 cubes, or even as bad as Ted's with 375 cubes and well over 500 hp, very impressive for what has been long considered a dinosaur.  I have had a lot of different engines but I tell you, nothing, not even an FE, sounds as good as a healthy Y block...well, except maybe a Cammer, and I dont ever see me dropping $35K for an engine., unless it came with a Cobra replica or a glass 32 Ford roadster wrapped around it
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

Bob, if it's a y block, either Ford or Lincoln, you will be welcome at the shootout and remember that the 57 Ford guys are there also with all sorts of combinations. We have everything from Ted Eaton's 23 T Roadster to a Y powered Pinto. This year I plan on having my Y block powered 67 Falcon there and Tim McMaster is planing on being there with his FED. Bill Patridge will be there with his turbo charged F100 and several 55, 56 and 57 cars  and T birds from bone stock to highly modified. Through in a mix of 54 thru 64 pickups and even a 60 312 powered Merc. It is a great show and an even greater bunch of guys and gals, just enjoying their old vehicles. Come on up and bring a buddy! I promise you will have a good time.
Freedom is not Free

wildhog

Glen, I hope you feel good enough to come up to Columbus, just for the fellowship, if you don't want to bring your car. Some times planning for next year dosen't work out and you look back and say I wish I would have done that. If you remember , last year I came with out a car and rode around in a handicap cart. Still better than missing a great week end. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

glen b henderson

Tom, I'm really bummed out missing the show, I have planned on this for two years. But my operation is sechduled for the 29th so I will have to pass this year. The operation is not all that bad, but the skin grafts take 5/6 weeks to heal and they don't want you out and about for a week or so. I'll be there next year good lord willing. Ya'll have fun and be safe.
Freedom is not Free