News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake Boosters 2

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Power brake booster   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Termyna
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/13/01 8:33 pm)
Reply Late Model Brake Booster Needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for a late model brake booster to go with a Granada front disk conversion, preferably something I can purchase from a parts store rather than a high dollar unit from a specialty brake company, any suggestions?

Edited by: Mark Termyna at: 11/14/01 3:21:50 pm

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(11/13/01 10:16 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Late Model Brake Booster Needed
Master Power Brakes, as well as Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation, advertise a modern type booster for use on '57 Fords.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(11/14/01 4:34 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Late Model Brake Booster Needed
Mark,

You could always ask either of those places what they use for boosters. As a 'potential' customer they should tell you what you would be buying.
Have you priced them at SSBC?

onecool57
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/19/01 10:26 am)
Reply Re: Late Model Brake Booster Needed
I used the booster, master cylinder and proportion valve off the 79 Granada donor car. Worked well, only had to extend the push rod used the eye off the original 57 rod. Redrilled the four mounting bolts for the booster and installed real easy. The main concern will be maybe clearance between the valve cover and booster. I've got a built 400 in mine and only had 3/8 of an inch clearance using stock style valve covers. If any one has done this with an FE block I would like to know if there is clearance I'm already starting my dream motor FE and 4 speed. YOU KNOW SOME HOT RODS NEVER GROW UP. Earlier I left a help message about having a problem with my conversion. I do appreciate the responses from the folks in the club. Results of the problem: drove it for couple weeks and bleed them once more and it seemed to have cured it's self aren't Fords wonderful.

gregyoung
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:   

I have an fe 428 with a booster in it .You have to use standard valve covers and it will clear.

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Spare Parts

Here's something I've figured out.I have been doing lot's of research in catalogs and online, building my car online so to speak.Our cars did not come with a booster mounted outside on the firewall, but all have the 2 bolt master cylinder mount.SPEEDWAY MOTORS has a brake booster conversion plate ,part#910-31402 for $39.95. QUOTE...(With this plate you will be able to bolt your booster to your existing 2 bolt master cylinder mount.)   This is an aluminum plate with 4 holes for the booster so the mounting nuts are countersunk in the plate then 2 studs go through the master cylinder holes on the firewall.They also have boosters or booster/master cylinder combos but use a GM master cylinder.The boosters w/o the m/c are a 7" single chamber booster for $99.00 or a 7" dual chamber for $109.95 or a 8" dual for $109.95 .This is what I plan to use.I you need more info www.speedwaymotors.com and look in the street rod catalog.(They also have stuff we can use in their race catalog) Catalogs are free !!!

briney

Spare Parts,

I'll check out the link thanks.  I thought you might be interested in the setup I just installed on my Ranchero. 
I used Granada spindles /brakes and a 7" power booster from ABS with a Granada master cylinder and a proportioning valve from a 1986 Mustang. 
This booster accommodates both GM and Ford brake cylinders.

Here's what I like best about the booster.   :041:

1.   If you look at the pictures it clears the lip on the firewall and the Newport wiper setup by going out and up using a bell crank.
2.  Going up enables it to clear the stock exhaust manifold on the 292 and will accommodate any FE motor.
3.  It has a nice brake dust cover boot to cover up the large hole in the firewall where the old brake cylinder was mounted. 
     Nobody particularly likes fumes in the car and the boot is just the ticket.

I understand that an 8" booster will also work but didn't opt for it.  But bolting up the two hole master cylinder was a snap. 
RAWms and I both discovered that all these aftermarket boosters require a non-factory power brake arm setup due to the differences in the brake pedals. 

I uploaded some pictures of the booster and boot along with the catalog page for reference.

Hope anyone looking at installing or upgrading a booster find this information of use. Let me know.

Thanks,

Patrick
Dallas TX

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

57 Ford Kustom

Britney   Thanks for the above post I have been looking for a p/b cyl that would clear the Newport moter and a Y block Who is  ABS and do you have address?, the catalog page was too small for my old eyes. :crybaby2: Also what kind of money was it??? Thanks

T 8)M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

briney

57 Ford Custom,

I can relate to the poor eye vision. I blew up the picture so you could see it better.
Below is the address and phone number. I tried to go to the site I had bookmarked in my browser and it didn't work.
I suspect they are redoing their catalogue.  ABS is out of So. Cal. and been around for many years. 

Fortunately I had written their contact information down in my contacts earlier.

ABS Power Brake Inc.
233 N. Lemon St.
Orange, CA. 92866
(714) 771-6549
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/index.html

Combo part #610 for 57 to 64 Ford full size

You might remind them to be sure to send the brake dust boot cover (the cone shaped piece) they initially omitted it from my order.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Patrick
Dallas TX

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Zapato

the early Bronco guys use a booster mount that places the booster and cylinder out to the side at about a 30/45 degree angle. Not sure if it would work in a 57. look up Jim Duff Enterprises or K-Bar- S . All the early 66-77 Bronco dealers sell it to replace the stock master cylinder. :felix:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Patrick...can you tell by looking at Canadian Ranchero's pics of the 4.6 dohc install in engine swaps catagory if this unit, in your opinion, or best guess lifts the booster high enough to clear the heads on the 4.6? I checked out abs's website hoping they would say how many inches the lift was, but they didn't. Thanks, Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i tryed a 65 ford unit that has a small booster and a rise of about 1 inch.it hit the head on the 4.6.would need to move it over about 3 1/2 inch to clear.i went with a 02 mustang hydra boost.see my other post

bossguy

I've been looking at boosters since I discovered that there is not enough distance between the 429 and the hood hinge on my sons 59 Edsel (59 Ford) The drivetrain donor car was a 69 Merc Marquis and that booster was about a foot in diameter. I wrote to ABS Brakes and this is the reply I got along with a P/S box conversion.
Subject: PARTS
To: bossguy@verizon.net
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 7:21 PM

HI WE HAVE A BOOSTER AND MASTER COMBO THAT WILL BOLT ON FOR THIS VEHICLE. THIS IS A 8" DUAL DIA, WITH A DUAL RESERVOIR MASTER FOR $ 350. ON THE STEERING PART OF YOUR PROJECT I HAVE THE COUPLER FOR $ 125 AND THE PITMAN ARM FOR $ 75. OR THE WHOLE POWER STEERING KIT, GEAR BOX, POWER STEERING PUMP, PULLEY, RAG JOINT,  PITMAN ARM, HOSES,  FOR $825. I DONT HAVE ANY BRACKET FOR A BIG BLOCK 429. ALSO YOU HAVE TO CUT THE STEERING COLUMN WITH THIS KIT.

UZI
714-771-6549

RICH MUISE

Not sure what you're looking for but an option on the brake booster several of us are either using or going to use is a hydor-boost unit out of a 2001(?) up Mustang. They were designed by ford to fit with the 4.6 dohc...which I do believe is wider than your 429 by quite a bit...there is a substantial thread in this section on the booster with pics and lots of info.
On the power steering,since you're obvoiusly not concerned with keeping things oem, I'd give alot of consideration to the rack and pinion set up for not a whole lot more than you mentioned above, but you'll still need a steering pump and bracket. Our WILDHOG's brother-in-law(YELLOWAGON) manufactures a setup that has had alot of positive feedback.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe