News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I think it would have been difficult to get the dolphin unit. which is quite large compared to a actuator. installed at the correct angle in the rear quarter panel. the rear windows pivot at the rear of the glass so whatever I used,I :burnout: thought ,should follow the front track angle to avoid binding. I know I would have had to cut the dolphin unit up to get it in and if they didn't work, would have ended up in the garbage. whereas if I failed with the actuators, I would still have them to use for something else.

57 imposter

Jim I think the little bugger may be smart enough to learn how to do it but it always comes back to to problem of trying to grab a knob with no thumbs. If I didn't know better, I would almost think they use that as a excuse to get someone else to do absolutely everything for them.

JimNolan

57 Imposter,
    Now I'm a serious as a heart attack here. How did you get your dog to sit in the back seat. Mine has to sit on my lap with his head stuck out the window or she lays down beside my right leg looking up at me real pitiful letting me know she wants to be on my lap with her head stuck out the window. Jim PS There isn't an LOL at the end of this one.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 imposter

for right now we run around in a Magnum Wagon.
she has the run of the whole back end with the rear seat down and never gets in the front. It will be interesting to see what she does when we get back in the sedan since she would always jump into the front seat anytime I would leave her in the car. she always saw me coming before I would get to the car and would be sitting in the back seat by the time I opened the door. I won't be surprised if she picks right up where she left off when that car comes back. I.m sure she thinks she is getting away with it and doesn't realize that I can see her white behind go over the seat back from two blocks away.

cool57

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2012-03-24 21:10
Once the decision was made to install power windows I bought Dolphin front kits $115.00 with free freight on E-Bay. I was just going to eliminate the rear regulators until I remembered how often my dog goes with me and the need to open the back windows a bit for her. Checked on power rear regs. because power front and manual rears would never do. I discovered that NU-Relics wanted $412.00 for rear regulators. Don't get me wrong, there are very few things in life more important to me than that dog but Come on! $115 to get me fresh air and $412 for her? There had to be another way. I ended up buying a pair of 6" stroke liner actuators off E-Bay for $149.00 with free freight and after about five different failed design ideas We landed on one that appears to work. I cut the roller arm off the stock regulator, made an adapter to attach it to the actuator piston installed the roller in the stock location in the window channel and installed the actuator parallel to the rear edge of the front roller guide to a bracket mounted inside the rocker panel. I made a yoke mount for the bottom with a threaded stud that will allow final length adjustment when the windows go in for the last time. The system seems to work fine didn't mess with it too much since it all has to come back out for final welding. The other side is going to go much faster. Just posting this in case anyone is now or has been in the same situation maybe it will save some head scratching time.       

Pictures pictures, we need pics! ...and diagrams! Please.  :003:

57 imposter

cool57.........Everything is out and in pieces but I think I can assemble it on the bench and probably get a better picture then when it was in the car. I will get that up as soon as I can, probably tomorrow.

57 imposter

Sorry this has taken so long but after coming back from two weeks in Arizona for spring training my camera came up missing. Anyway, the conversion  was relatively easy.[on the fitfth try]  the top piece is 1" .125 sq. tubing with the last 4 1/2' of the stock regulator attached. the bottom yoke is the same material with a 1/4X 4 elevator bolt attached. It assembles in the car as shown. the bottom bracket is made out of a piece of 2X4 sq. tubing cut at an angle to match where the actuator  wants to land. mine is welded in just a few inches ahead of the rear fender well. Oh We also closed off the front of the roller track so the roller cant pop out when raising the widow.  Hope I get the pictures if not I'll try again

57 imposter

Well I got one ill see if I can get the other

RICH MUISE

Your setup looks good..keep us posted.
"In Arizona for 2 weeks of spring training"...Did you make it to the new park at Walking Stick in Scottsdale? I went to the last Rockies game of the spring training Wednesday....it's right across from the Pavillion Shopping center where they have Saturday night cruises. Awesome ballpark..I enjoyed it more than going to Coors field..I'm leaving Phoenix tomorrow to head back to Texas.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

No we didn't, our schedule really got messed up, this year. WE combine baseball with visiting friends that winter in Tuscon. they had to return to Omaha early so our schedule really got changed around to accommodate them so we didn't get near as many games as usual. However any time spent in
Arizona ,in March really beats the crap out of spending the same amount of time in Washington State, so we had a great time.

gasman826

I've been watching/reading with interest.  Quite a task in such a tight place.  Sooo...how many times have you thought about getting a new dog?

I really know the answer.  We run a boarding kennel (doggie day care).  The stuff people do for their dogs...and we do it too!!!  I think I saw some doggie treat shaped window cranks somewhere.  I'll get back to you on that.

57 imposter

We had two but lost our male in Feb. to cancer. Why anyone would willingly sign up for that kind of grief is beyond me, but I know that sometime soon I will be standing in line waiting to start the process all over again. My female is bumping up against 12 years old and feels that she no longer has to put up with some,snot nosed, puppy jumping on her and chewing on her ears, and I tend to agree with her so I will wait and let her have some peace and quiet. This is my pal in better days

RICH MUISE

Quote: "Arizona ,in March really beats the crap out of spending the same amount of time in Washington State, so we had a great time."
LOL...I gotta go back there in a month or two when it's 115 degrees so we can get these thoughts of moving to Phoenix out of our heads.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

Rich  I have always been advised by the locals to "be outa here by May!"

57 imposter

the main reason I started this conversion was was the customizing opinions possible with a 57 as opposed to almost none with the 58.  I checked on line for Frenching options for the 57 but didn't see anything on using 54 Merc trim rings. so I decided to see if I could figure something out. I couldn't see any way the 57 buckets would work so I got a pair of  G.M. buckets. modified them to mount to the inside of the fender and relocated the adjusting screws to make them accessable from the back of the bucket.  Next will come the trim rings. The O.D. of the merc rings is 9  5/8 while the ford mounting area is 9 3/8 It looks like trimming the ring to a depth of 1 1/4 inches will get the two diminutions to match. Not sure yet if I will have to build some buckets or spacers to get the proper look for the headlight in the stainless but whatever it takes will get done.  Too late to turn back now.  By the way I got the headlight doors and bezels from Night Prowlers, probably one of the best aftermarket products I have ever purchased.