News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Yep...thanks for passing that on...I would have thought the reamer would have followed the existing hole's path....really strange that it didn't. Along the same thought...I would have bet it would be really difficult to move a hole with a reamer if you wanted too. I guess the sheer bulk of that dia cutting tool made it rigid enough to do just that.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Hey Doug....Aside from wondering what was happening with you lately, I ran into something odd a few weeks ago. I needed a replacement outside drivers mirror, and found one at the Pace swap meet. It was by the same Fargo that made the ones we got at SoCal Speed shop. I wanted to check it out before taking it of course, and in doing so (fortunatly) noticed it was angled in the wrong direction....in towards the vent window instead of away. She assured me the box hadn't been opened previously, but we checked the right mirror she also had in an unopened box, and it was angled the way I needed. So, I guess we, or at least I, mounted the left on the right and right on the left!?.
This of course got me wondering if this had anything to do with the initial problems you were having trying to get them in a workable location.?

57 imposter

Hey Rich. I checked my bow tie mirrors and it looks both of the basses are about the same. if I remember they would only fit correctly on the proper side. But that was all done a long time ago and memory being what it is,,,,. really haven't been doing anything with the car except driving it. My spindle change ended up being a disaster. When I called Stop and drop and told them I needed the reemed spindles he said " no problem, we have them sitting right here on the shelf, ready to go and would include a spacer to go on under the castle nut so the cotter pin would work." So I sent my $400.00 postal money order, because they are apparently
still operating a business with 1800's technology,cause they can't take credit or debit cards, and waited for their arrival. When they came they were exactly what i had on the car in the first place, not reamed! So I am going to put them on Saturday when I find the screw up. I need the car on monday so I have to roust the guy with the mill out so we can mount the spindles and ream them to the proper size. Take them home and mount them on the car only to find they had even sent the wrong spacer that wouldn't come close to fitting the ball joint stud. fortunately I still had the home made spacers from my failed attempt to ream them before. Anyway they are on and they corrected my ride height and stetting issues so I guess it's all good!
Other than that screw up, it's been going well and am trying to get a bunch of overdue house projects done before it gets too hot.   

RICH MUISE

Good to hear from you...thanks for the update. I wonder why the problems the spindles that no one has posted of before...at least that I'm aware of. Posible problem with the ball joint shaft not being the correct one? '58 vs '57 differences perhaps? Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

"Hey Rich. I checked my bow tie mirrors and it looks both of the basses are about the same. if I remember they would only fit correctly on the proper side"....agreed, they will only fit one way on our '57's. Only thing I don't know if that's the same way as the Chevy it was designed for. Only difference it would make is if someone is ordering ONE mirror for a specific side.

RICH MUISE

It's been 2 months since you were last active, Doug. Hope everything is ok with you.

57imposter

Busy, busy summer. lots of car and bike road trips and the usual age related health issues. everything is kinda under control now. I think. Car is going to get put up for the winter as I am finally getting started on my motorcycle build. Never did get the running hotter than it should issue handled. I think when I get a break, I am going to strip down the front of the engine and work my way forward from there with new everything. I have never had a small block ford run anything but perfect, temp. wise so this is frustrating. spent a lot of years working around Cummins truck engines and at least twice I found water pump impellers that slipped and caused heating problems. very rare failure but it is possible so the pump has to be checked. also want to do a draw down test on the radiator just to make sure nothing got restricted during the three years the car was apart.
P.S. In the "keep the faith" dept. I took the car to a show this summer and had to enter the 54 thru 59 modified class. If that class isn't designed for the tri-five cars, I don't know what else they could do to help them out. Anyway the top two spots ended up going to 58 Fords. I've ever seen that happen before. The guy that took first had actually customized a 58 and it looked great, was more work and much better imagination than mine. Anyway I goes to show, we can beat them. my camera went dead so I didn't get any pictures

lalessi1

What are you running for a radiator? Curious, my car had a 302 AOD and the cooling was marginal. It had a 6 cyl radiator.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

57imposter

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-10-09 16:22
What are you running for a radiator? Curious, my car had a 302 AOD and the cooling was marginal. It had a 6 cyl radiator.
I am running an aluminum radiator that I bought by dimension.  I wanted it to fit inside the core support to free up some engine bay length. The 5.0L/AOD that was in the car very rarely even ran the electric fan unless the A/C was on and that was for about eight years. This issue has just reared it's ugly head since I put the ,Speedway motors, rebuilt long block in, last winter. The radiator has never had anything in it but distilled water and aluminum compatible antifreeze. We put about 6500 miles on it this summer so its had plenty of break in and runs as good as any I have had. My Ford guy says there isn't any way to effect coolant flow with wrong gaskets or assembly procedures altho he said he has had small blocks that liked to run warm. It should be noted that he builds a lot of HP into everything he does. Mine is bone stock. I feel it just about has to be something from the block foreword. I'll get my ass in gear, one of these days and dig into it.

Lgcustom

Look for a reverse rotation water pump. Did you change pumps on the new engine?

57imposter

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2016-10-10 12:54
Look for a reverse rotation water pump. Did you change pumps on the new engine?
new pump bought for re-power was for an 89 mustang. However when I tear the front end apart both the water pump and thermostat will be new, again.

RICH MUISE

New Summit block...it's still a 5.0, right?

57imposter

Rich....Ya, it was an exact replacement for the engine that was in the car.