News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Which Drag Radial

Started by Lgcustom, 2012-01-02 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Lgcustom

Guys, I need your experience. I need to make a choice between the Goodrich gForce Drag Radial, Goodyear Drag Radial or M/T ET Street Radial with an R2 compound. The size will be P235/60R-15. This seems like the widest tire I can fit using the 8" rims I have.
So, never having run any type of drag tire before and still wanting to run them on the street, I need your advice.

The car is my '57 custom powered by a 460/C6. It makes 450-500 hp, has a 3.70 gear and 2500 stall converter. The current Radial T/A's are toast as soon as you mash the gas.

Which of the three would launch the car best?

Thanks
Larry

JPotter57

ET Streets are my favorite and the best for launch. pretty much a drag slick with about 6 treads to be legal.  They are soft and wrinkle wall, and will not last in every day driving.  The  ET Street radials I hear work well, but I haven't used them.  I wouldn't use any Goodyear product, just my preference.... 
I want to try the M&H tires soon, as I hear they also work well...we'll see
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

Those look so cool, look much better than the common "pie crust" stuff that everyone else runs.  By the time the 57's were running a lot in Jr Stock, this is the kind of tires they were using.  The pie crust stuff was very early 60s, even late 50s.  Plus, those things look like snow tires, where these M&H tires have the real racecar look...very cool.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Fryguy302

The 275 Pro by MT is an absolutely wicked tire.  I have put 1600hp to this tire with my other car and it gets down.  It's almost magic, like it defies physics LOL.

410ranchero

M/t by far. I've ran all the others and none compare as far as hook up and they wear really well.  Believe it or not they are the best I had in the rain and even in a little snow.  The nittos looped me twice coasting through a 20 mph corner in just a little rain. I got about 10k miles out of the m/t.

Fryguy302

Just a warning, the 275 pro I mentioned isn't like the normal MT drag radial.  You will crash in the rain.  But it's a great tire.

I also have the regular MT drag radials in a 19" on my 2013 Mustang and they work very, very well for a 19" tire.  You can't go wrong with the MTs.