News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

antenna location

Started by rmk57, 2012-02-13 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Are all antennas mounted on the right fender. Mines on the left and looks to be original but not quite sure. Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Mine was on the right fender on both sets of fenders I had. (I'm moving the location to the rear). Your question got me to wondering if dual antenaes were a fatory option in '57 or just a popular aftermarket add-on back then. When I first started working on my car, I had visioned the 60's look and bought a pair of '56(?) swept back antenaes with the chrome and red plastic base to put on the back fenders...now I'm thinking hidden antenae.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

My car is a 70a and it did come with a radio, and looks like the fender hole was punched out from the factory. Didn't the fairlane convertibles or retractractables come with rear mount antennas?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

rmk57,
   If your antenna hole is on the left side, did you notice if the shiney side of the fender was pointed out or in toward the engine. Just kidding. After talking with the guy from Va. that worked the assembley line in 57, there's no telling where they might put it. My book only shows an optional antenna that was placed in the middle of the trunk. Lou might be better to ask about dual antenna's. A lot of guys ran them but only one was actually used. There's also a chance that the antenna on the left side was factory for a reason. It'd be neat to find out why if it was produced like that. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

The electrical assembly manual only shows the right front fender and the middle of the trunk.  My guess would be the dual rears were done after the car was delivered.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Everyone I researched has it mounted on the right side. The hole isn't exactly round and it really looks like it was punched. It looks kind of goofy because the outside mirror is only 5 inches away from it. I have a delete plate I might put in and just weld up the hole.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lou

A lot of radios were dealer installed as the dealer could buy and install the radio cheaper than ordering it from the factory, also a lot of cars that had factory installed radios were shipped without the antenna installed as they tended to get broken in shipment  All trunk mounted antennas were dealer installed even if factory ordered.( part number for the trunk mounted antenna was B7A-18813-B ) I do not have a 1957 Pre-Delivery manual but the ones I have in the 1960s say that installing the radio antenna was one of the jobs left to the dealer. The electrical assembly manual is not an original Ford issued manual, they were OK-ed by Ford for 7% of the books price, but were put together in the 1980s from shop manuals and wiring diagrams. What Ford issued were wiring diagrams in a book form (These books were huge, like 18 X 24 inches.)
None of my accessories books show factory or dealer offered rear duel mounted antennas.

gasman826

Back in the day when I was in Ford dealerships...every new vehicle that I prepped required the antenna installed.  The kit was in the trunk as well as the wheel covers.  I could have taken liberties with the location.  Power antennas were factory installed unless it was sold as a dealer option. 

rmk57

Actually that makes sense, my 70' Mustang had the antenna mounted on either the quarter or front fender and they were dealer installed along with the spoiler. There was a member on this forum that had a modern disc player mounted behind a delete plate that was hinged,  I kind of like that idea. Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

anyone have a picture of the trunk mounted antenna ? was it a straight or swept style mast ? Antenna location can be really important for reception wonder if that was and is why to this day many antennas are placed on the rear flanks rooftops ? Rather than just style . Friend had a 61 Impala with dual rear mounted antennas one was a dummy, would think dual functional antennas would really serve no gain in performance .

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Here's a picture from the brochure.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Zapato

Not sure if I remember ever seeing one, will be paying a bit more attention now. Would have to guess its a factory install or did many cars come without the antenna hole in the fender ?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lowrider

Like Lou & Gasman mentioned antennas were dealer installed back then. Now the base is already installed & all you have to do is screw in the mast. An antenna installed on the L side may have been put on unsupervised new employee. Cant imagine a new car department installing one like that. Then again after spending 40+ yrs in Ford dealerships it wouldnt surprise me. At one time the antenna kit came with a paper cutout you laid on the fender to locate the holes for the antenna. Kind of made it "idiot proof".

Hoosier Hurricane

I would guess that replacement fenders from Ford would have no antenna hole because of the radio delete cars.  So what if your car had front end damage, new fenders installed, and the body man just put the antenna on the left side because he had already junked the damaged ones and couldn't remember which side it was on?

John

Fairlane500Ron

I bought a 57 Fairlane 500 Convertible in 1959.  It had two antennas mounted on the rear fenders.  i think only the right one was hooked
to the radio.
But that's been a "Few" years ago and car is unfortunately no longer in my possession....Sadly.
Ron