News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Project 302 update

Started by robhaerr, 2012-02-24 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Pretty jazzed after this 3-week project...3 years later...

Engine swap and John's stfabrications rack and pinion going in soon...

Latest film episode...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f9gVl_jTjY

Rob

gasman826

Nice job!!!!!!!!!!  The most difficult part of my projects is the documentation.  When I am working on stuff, I am so focused that pictures are the last thing on my mind.

JPotter57

Hey Rob!  Glad to see you still at it.  To be honest, I thought you had sold the car, someone here thought they had seen it on ebay... Keep up the good work.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

robhaerr

Thanks guys!

Here is the episode of us getting the engine and tranny mated a few weeks ago...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6QFs0OI3Vg

Very excited to have Bobby Walden on board to help with this project! Very nice guy...it's great living in SoCal for hot rod stuff. Bobby will be doing the engine swap, rack and pinion, front and rear sway bars. He is in Pomona near SoCal Speed Shop and others...

http://www.waldenspeedshop.com

By the way...I am not seeing the sway bar info on this web site that you guys talk about in another thread...please advise...
http://www.thunderbirdsouthwest.com/

Thanks!
Rob

gasman826

Great bullet dodging!!!!!!!!!!!  The next time you mate a transmission and engine block together, take a couple of longer bell housing size bolts and cut the heads off.  Use a hack saw, cut a slot in the end to make a screw out them.  Insert them in the block.  These longer screws will act as guide pins to help you slide the transmission onto the block.  After you put a couple regular bell housing bolts in, use a screwdriver to remove your homemade guide pins.  This works great on a bunch of stuff!!!

Ford Blue blood

Gasman is correct.  Use the same princilpe when putting a body back on a chassis.  I like doing them at the fire wall or the body mount next to the door jam and at the very rear.  Saves a lot of grief with "bumping" thing you don't want bumped!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Custom300Madman

Great video thanks Rob!
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

gasman826

I really enjoyed your video.  At the risk of stepping on myself, I've had trouble sleeping at night thinking about the steering on your car.  Somebody did that and passed it on to you.  Who knows how long that has been like that.  I cobble some stuff up to roll in around the barn but to send that out on the street and worse yet...sell to someone who may have sold it to someone else.  I support DIY but I am starting to support the concept of protecting that engineer from himselves and us.  The last few years, we have been inviting NHRA inspectors to our car show.  A lot of rodders line up to get their sticker.  It is not a NHRA safety inspection but does give the car a going over.  That is, brakes, parking brake, horn, wipers, lights, tires, and so on...at least enough to establish that it is a reasonably built car.  At least your car had sever enough bump steer to signal you to get another opinion.  Your car looks great and I'm sure that you will be thrilled with the new R&P steering and the new engine.  Take care,

rmk57

I keep thinking how nice it would be to just stand outside in February without getting rained or snowed on. Nice video!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

I thought that too when I saw them walking around with a sweatshirt and no steam off their breath!!!!!!!!
Must be nice!!!

robhaerr

Shorts and t-shirts this weekend!

I am just waiting for Bobby Walden's schedule and the delivery of parts to get this swap done. The bumpsteer is really bad. Driving at 40 mph is OK...but hitting bumps in the road and the front end sways from side-to-side.

Can't wait for this wagon to drive nice. Bobby is installing r&p, front/rear sway bars, besides doing the engine/trans swap.

More video to come as the project continues.

Cheers...
Rob

gasman826

I put R&P in almost 11K miles ago.  You will love it.  You might want to keep an eye out for a smaller steering wheel.

wildhog

On the subject of smaller steering wheels, has any one seen one of the new 15" advertized to fit a 57 Ford?
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

57tudor

Robhaerr.

How goes the project? Bob Lee and Myself were wondering if the car will be done in time for the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at Knott's this coming April 22nd. We would like to see ya in the show with that cool wagon now that it will be a Ford in a Ford...LOL.
Hope to hear from ya.

Rick.
57 Tudor
:burnout:

Bob
57 Agin
:burnout:

robhaerr

Still waiting on Bobby Walden's schedule to open up...thanks for asking!

Walden's Speed Shop has an article in this month's Street Rodder magazine on skinning a hot rod door. I feel fortunate he wants to do my project!

When I talked to him last week, he had 11 '32 Fords in his shop.

http://www.waldenspeedshop.com

I am not going by any deadlines over the last 3 years for this project that should have taken 3 weeks! My wife decided we needed new flooring, paint, and kitchen. But...she knows this is gonna happen now!