News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tie rod sleeves

Started by Wirenut, 2012-04-03 20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Does anyone know where I can get tie rod adjuster sleeves that are 11/16-18 right thread x 5/8-18 left thread. I tried the usual Jeggs, Google and E-Bay but no luck..

gasman826

I got out the Moog cross reference and found a tie rod end to match.  I use aluminum sleeves from Speedway.

Wirenut

I looked at yours but was not sure if they were the size I needed.. I will check MOOG out... Thanks, I appreciate your response and the photos..

gasman826

I just checked, Speedway has 5/8" thread aluminum tie rod swedged sleeves on sale starting at $3.99 and steel starting at $4.99.  5/8" threads are fairly common and some 3/4"...11/16" not so much.

Wirenut

Are yours 5/8'' on both ends or a mix of 5/8'' one end and 11/16 on the other?

gasman826

Both ends are 5/8".  The outer tie rod was 11/16".  I used the Moog interchange to substitue the OEM end for the same spec end but with 5/8" threads.  It seemed much easier than finding a sleeve with difference thread sizes or making one.  Maybe just getting a 5/8" one and then drill/tap to 11/16".

Wirenut

Thanks. I was not sure  I could get a tie rod that would fit the 57 in a 5/8'' That sounds much better anyway and would be an easier fix..Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees..I appreciate you response..

gasman826

If I was on top of my documentation, I would give the brand and part #.  I really have to work on this.

gasman826

I was going through my build sheets.  The outer tie rods are Moog ES351RL.  These will fit the spindle and are 5/8" right hand thread or left hand thread.  The inner tie rods are heims joints that attach to the rack and pinion.  Now, I also noticed another part number that seems to be a guarded secret....the part # for the rack.  It may be common knowledge today but seven years ago, it was not on the internet.  Everyone knows that the racks off late '90 Gran Ams, Cavilers, etc fit the parameters needed for this conversion.  There are several part numbers with the same measurements.  The difference is in the input shaft (sector shaft) shape.  My parts guys were great.  They ordered stuff for me and sent it back the next day without a complaint.  Actually, they were interested.  I was ordering Cardone Re-manufactured units.  The #137 unit has a sector shaft shape that a Borgeson joint will fit.  Another FYI is the hydraulic ports are two sizes and the LARGER one is the pressure side!  I talked to one of the Cardone engineers (great, friendly and helpful).  Since I am using the Saginaw powersteering pump with the Saginaw hydraulic power brake booster and a Saginaw R&P (getting the theme here???) that the flows and pressures are a match with no orifices or regulators.  Great brakes and great steering!!!

Wirenut

Thanks, I will get them and install. I did find the sleeves you mentioned from Speed. I do appreciate the help..