News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front bumper irons/brackets

Started by Limey57, 2012-03-26 04:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Well I'm finally bolting all of my new parts to the chassis on the Ranchero, while its nice to be opening lots of boxes & packets & bolting them onto the frame, it isn't made easy by the fact that I didn't strip it down, so I'm relying on the internet and the previous owners notes/photos for guidance!

I've just bolted the rechromed rear bumper on & it looks great (I'll remove it when I refit the body, but I'm doing a dry-build to make sure everything fits to the chassis first).  My problem lies with the front bumper, if I bolt the irons to the chassis then try to mount the bumper the holes are miles out, if I bolt them to the bumper first there is a 1 1/2" gap either side between the irons & the chassis!

The irons look to be straight and the bumper is New Old Stock.  Has anyone got a picture/phot/illustration of exactly how the front bumper & irons go together?  I thought it was obvious but at the minute I just can't figure out where the error is and despite an extensive "Google" search I can't find a picture on the 'net.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

The pictures below should hopefully explain the problem better.  I guess the irons could just be out of shape, but looking at previous photos of the car, the original bumper was straight.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Hoosier Hurricane

Those look more like rear irons than front to me.  John

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2012-03-26 07:06
Those look more like rear irons than front to me.  John

I believe you are correct!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

They aren't rears, this is a (out of focus!) shot of the rears:

And a set of spare rears (didn't realise I had a spare set & got the whole lot blasted & coated.....):

This is a picture of all the brackets I had (I took this so the shot blaster knew what he had!).  The front brackets are on the left, two sets of rears on the right (or so I believe):

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

I do stand corrected!  Went out and unearthed my Ranchero front bumper and took a couple of shots ot the left side, hope they help....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Thats great!  Thanks, looks like I've got the right brackets but they're a bit out of shape, I tried bending them in the vice but it was impossible so I'll have to use some heat.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

Whoa...stop.  Before you bend, lay it out again.  With the bumper right side up, the rounded or radius side of the brackets should also be up.  Try switching side to side on the shorter ones.  If those brackets don't align correctly and you tighten the chrome bumper bolts, you could easily distort the new bumper and even crack the chrome.  The factory used 'wave' washers between the backside of the bumper and the bumper bracket.  Pictures taken from the bottom side of the bumper.

I have two different sets of the bumper brackets to re-enforce the end of the front bumper.  Pictured is one set that run from the rear bumper to frame attaching bolt to the outer bumper hole.  The other set (no picture) bolts for the end bumper hole and to the gravel guard/fender.  This set really ties everything together but if the bumper moves, the fender buckles.

Limey57

Thanks for that, it really shows what I'm looking for.  Going on those pictures my brackets are installed in the right place, but somehow are badly out of shape.  I'll leave them bolted to the frame and try and bend them to suit the bumper profile.

Thanks again everyone, really usefull!
Gary

1957 Ranchero