News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Taper reamer for ball joint stud

Started by maurits1947, 2012-04-18 13:14

Previous topic - Next topic

maurits1947

Anyone know what the taper is on a stock 57 ford upper and lower balljoint,  Any Idea where one can get that reamer.  Going to put Torino disc brakes on the 57.

gasman826

Speedway and Summit Racing have them in their catalog.  1-1/2" or 7 degree as I remember and $70.00.

maurits1947

Thanks so much for the info, looks like I'll be ordering another tool, one can never have too many tools.  M

Lgcustom

What year Torino spindles? Mid-70's T-birds and Cougars bolt right up. No reamer needed.

maurits1947

Sorry, too much traveling for the job.  Pulled the brake assembly of a 72 or 73 torino.
Thanks for the help.

shopratwoody

Mine has 71 or 2 Torino spindles and could have used reaming. I chose to cut down the castle nut and deepen the groove for
the cotter key.
I hate blocksanding!

maurits1947

I may just make a mold of the holes in the spindle and compare the taper to the ball joint studs, that should give me an idea what i need to do.
Maury 

gasman826

Run down to the local Auto Zone and get a ball joint see if it fits.

FYI...that ream also works of the tie rod ends.  With some combinations, the tie rod does not go in deep enough to use a cotter key. 

Rather than cut the castle nut to fit, it might be safer to sub out the castle nut for a lock nut.  A lot of late models are using lock nuts rather than castle nuts.

I also checked availability for 7 degree/1-1/2" to foot tapered ream at Summit.  They don't sell them anymore.  Speedway Motors.

maurits1947

Thanks for the input, much easier than making a mold. I agree with your  assessment of not modifying the castle nut, in the past I have used loctite on suspension hardware that was not pinned.

maury