News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

406 powered 57 Ford's

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2012-08-07 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

I currently own a 57 Custom 300 and a 57 Del Rio wagon. I am building matching Tri Power FE 406's for them, and I have a booster question. I have read every article and topic on this site about the power booster, but I still have a couple of questions. I found a post where someone stated they had Granada booster on a 428 car but it needed short valve covers to work. I plan to run full roller setups on my engines, so I will need tall valve covers. Does anyone know of a factory Ford power booster I can mount in the stock location that will clear an FE engine with the taller valve covers?? I have the T-Bird parts for the front disc brake conversion, as well as the Versailles rear ends for both cars. Though in some research here, I have found the information about the Crown Vic rear disc setup, I might alter my plans and go that route instead. Anyone know what year range I need to look for in the CV to source parts from?? Any specific information on what parts I would need for the booster and master cylinder to make that setup work? I stress the factory Ford part, as I will not ever install anything GM on my Ford, and most of the aftermarket kits I see have at least some GM parts in them, those are not an option for me. I have the abilities to fabricate a relocation bracket if need be to lift the booster and mc up if need be, but I'd prefer to not get into that if I don't have to. If I did have to build a relocation bracket, same question, specifically what mc and booster combo would I need to look for?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.   Jim
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the site...matching 406's..wow, really different.
Have you looked into the hydo-boost setups used on late 90's and early 00's Mustangs? I got one off an '01 if I remember correctly, because my plans were for a 4.6 dohc and a regular booster just won't fit. I haven't installed mine yet. type hydo-boost in the search block and hopefully it'll bring some long posts up.
oops..just noticed that post is right near the top..just 2 down from this one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

QuoteI stress the factory Ford part, as I will not ever install anything GM on my Ford, and most of the aftermarket kits I see have at least some GM parts in them, those are not an option for me.

...sniff... I love you man...

I won't even use stove bolts to mount my tags...

How much manifold vacuum will this setup hold? Less than 17HG?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

gasman826

hydraulic booster clears 460 with Motorsports valve covers...460 is wider and taller than FE.
Works great with no vacuum!!!!!!!!!

CableguyJJS3

Thanks for the info so far guys. I had seen the articles about the hydro boost, not sure I want to get into that type of system though. I've heard alot of horror stories about it is all. But I won't rule anything out at this point. Though with only probably 14-15 inches of vacum that I will probably get out my setups, I might not have a choice. Gasman, what did your hydro boost system come off of?? Also I see the rack and pinion in there, what year/make/model is that from, and are the mount brackets custom made or something you picked up somewhere? Thanks again for the help so far guys, mucha appreciated.

Ford Blue blood

Cableguy the hydra boost system has been around for years.  Used on everything from trucks to race cars.  They are as dependable as anything else out there, more so in some cases, and relatively inexpensive.  There are litterally thousands of them out there on the road as we speak and the "rumors" of issues are ill founded.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CableguyJJS3

Well not so sure how ill founded the rumors are. I had a hydro boost system on a work truck and it was in the shop being fixed far more than I ever drove it. Granted it was a well known for having nothing but issues since the day it was created, plus it had the disadvantage of being a GM product. But since then, I'm still sour on the thought. I do have a fair amount of late model Mustang experience, and I will say, never heard of or had any any issues with that system, so I won't rule it out. But I'd still prefer a standard vacum booster and mc setup if at all possible.

gasman826

All the mid-late '70s Lincolns used this setup.  Mine is off a '74 Lincoln.  Very reliable.  Works great.  I worked in FLM dealership in '70-'80s and never had a service issue with one of these.  But, you must be confident with your brakes!

With 14-15" of vacuum, the larger diaphragm would provide better braking but less clearance.  Ford used a dual, small diaphragm booster on F350 trucks to compensate for space, emission engines, and better braking applications.  Aftermarket and remanufacturers offer dual diaphragm boosters.  About the smallest diameter booster you can find and still offer power assistance.  In the muscle car era, Ford used a wedge that shimmed the booster to the left.  Ford also made booster brackets that angled to the left.  There are aftermarket kits to move the booster/master assemble to a right angle.  Trucks used a remote mounted booster down on the frame.

The rack is the commonly used late '90s GM compact unit.  Brackets are all my own fabrication.

I am using Granada spindles and brakes, SVO/Explorer disc rears with adjustable bias valve, air bags front and rear, triangular 4-link rear, and a complete Saginaw power steering pump, rack, and booster.  The cars only handling limitation is the 'littles' on the front.  Best be belted in because the brakes will throw you into the dash.   

wildhog

Cableguy, For rack&pinnion info. look under vendors S T Fabracation. Made by one of the guys on this site. Yellow wagon
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

CableguyJJS3

Gasman is your booster mounted upside down, or am I missing something? I'm looking at the pics for the booster on Rockauto and your pics, the small canister sticking straight from the firewall appears to be on different sides. Maybe Rockauto pics have it upside down, but every other pic of that type system I find, shows it on the opposite side as well. Just wondering. I did look up the rack system from S T Fabrications, looks to be the same rack in your setup I'm guessing?? Also any idea what year range F350 i would need to look at for the booster you mentioned? Thanks again for the help and info guys, it is appreciated.

gasman826

Ya'...I forgot about that.  The booster is upside down from typical installations.  It is a pressurized system and will work at any angle.  Nothing will leak out.  Upside down gives even more clearance.  Since the manual brake master bolts to the firewall and pedal support with two bolts and many later model boosters mount with four bolts, you might want to consider a late model donor to cut a patch piece out of the firewall and snag the pedal support to upgrade the '57 stuff for a stronger, cleaner install. 

I like Ford in Ford but sometimes if the part is right...its right.  I mostly have Ford parts on my car but there's stuff that spans 30 or more years.  I got truck parts, IH parts, even some Harley parts and a lot of aftermarket stuff.  Unfortunately, my EFI system is all FAST and it is GM stuff...LS7 style injectors, all the sensors, the IAC, the fuel composition sensor...So you know that the rack, hydraulic booster, and PS pump are all Saginaw (GM).  Aside from the rack, the PS pump and booster were Ford factory installed.

The dual boosters...I put one on my '79 F250 4by and it helped a little.  I would just Google 'dual diaphragm booster' and see what comes up.

I would go with the ST Fabrications rack deal.  They used my design anyway.

gasman826

IF you were closer, I have a spare setup you could checkout.  Don't get to GA much...visit relatives in SC in March and wander into GA a little.  If Power Tour goes there, I'll be there.

sprink88

I have been emailing this guy from eBay. And I think I am going to buy one. He said I have to take out all my old power brake stuff. And split the system ( not hard ). But with a portioning valve it is easy to go disc/drum in the future. And no portioning valve if I want to go disc/disc. He claims there are 700+ out there that he has sold.
~Chris

KULTULZ

Listen, I don't mean to interfere but a vacuum booster will not work properly with manifold vacuum supply under 17".

You are either going to have manual brakes or use a HYDRO-BOOST. The system is rock solid if retro-fitted correctly. Use (IMO) either a seventies MARK VII or later SN-95 MUST system.

If going to a dual reservoir MC (drum/drum) you will only need a Pressure Differential Valve (and Distribution Block(s), not a Combination Valve Or Proportioning Valve. Of Course, it will require different valving for DISC/DRUM or DISC/DISC.

Most aftermarket kits come with a CORVETTE MC and it is meant for DISC/DISC usually and will not have the residual valve(s) needed for drum brakes.

FORD supplied manual drum on their 427 cars (early sixties) and with the correct size foundation brakes will bring her down.

I tried to attach photos but the system went haywire.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN