News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1990 Ford Aerostar Springs

Started by robhaerr, 2012-10-12 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Great news.

The Aerostar springs put my wagon back to where I wanted it after removing cut coil springs that were wasted and buying "2-inch drop" springs from Detroit Spring that raised the car 3-4 inches.

Here is a photo of before with the Detroit Springs and after with the Aerostar springs (Moog part # CC850, under $100 at O'Reilly Auto or others). The photo under my name over to the left is the car with the cut springs that rode pretty bad.

These Aerostar springs ride nice.

Hope that helps...
Rob

Frankenstein57

xsilencex

i used the aerostar springs as well. what shocks did you go with? i used cordoba shocks but the mounting on the bottom was just shy of what it needed to be. used larger washers to compensate but not fully comfortable with it.

robhaerr

I actually need to change the front shocks...they are pretty worn out. They are the same shocks that were on it when I bought the car about 8 years ago.

I will be asking what shocks to go with, too...I do not know what shocks are on the car...they are silver on front and back, that's all I know.

Rob

gasman826

I spent a lot of time in the back of parts books.  My parts store has no problem giving me a parts book where I go over to the break room and study (you can do this on line with many of the manufacturers).  I compare the OEM interchange information with other part numbers with similar attachment ends, length, or whatever.  You have changed the ride height but max and min shock travel has not changed.  The OEM shock application has not changed.  Since performance requirements (ride and control) may have change, you will be looking for the vendor that offers the characteristics you require.  My application is custom (air bags, modified control arms, and four link).  I have no OEM shocks or shock mounts so I can not offer any direct experience with you application.  I would suggest comparing recommends from owners of wagons with your modifications because of the unique wagon requirements.

RICH MUISE

If you're planning on changing the rear shocks as well, try to find the thread Jim Nolan posted last year about using ('56 pickup??) shocks. The shock's extra travel makes it easier to change tires on stock configured cars with larger tires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Anything to help with changing larger rear tires is a plus.  I have to unhook the shocks and air bags to lower the rear end enough to remove a tire.  Caution on the brake hose.  I still want to install a cross member in front of the rear end but that would make it so I also would have to drop the driveshaft.  Even though I am whining about my procedure for removing a rear tire, I think it is easier than OEM style rear suspensions which might require shock, spring shackle and brake hose detachment.

But, doesn't installing a longer shock in the stock location risk the shock bottoming out when compressed?  A longer shock has a longer compressed length.  The '57 shock mounts are weak to begin with and using the shock for a bump stop will encourage premature failure of the shock, shock mount or both.