News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Got my new headers yesterday...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-11-21 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I have been asking around trying to determine if the Speedway fenderwell exit headers would fit my Custom.  They were originally made for a `53-56 F100, but looked like they would work.  No one knew the answer, had never tried them, so I figured why not, I couold always sell them on Ebay.  Bonus, these were coated (chrome look) and Speedway is having a shipping special through New Years, everything over $100 is 7.99 shipped to your door.  I bought a set, and when they arrived, I immediately pulled the manifolds off my Custom.  The front fenders are still off, so it was an easy job.  The headers are bolted back on and fit like they were special made for the Custom.  There is enough room to fabricate a splitter with a block off on one end and the under car exhaust cutting over the framerail back under the car.  When I get this made, I will send it to be jethot coated and put some pics of it up.  Until then, check out these fine set of pipes.  Also, interesting to me anyway, maybe wsome Y guys, check out my chrome valve covers, fitted with a real, foil type Holman Moody Competition Proven decals.  I bought these from Lee Holman about 10 years ago, been saving them for the right project.  I like them.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Note this is just my 292, it runs ok, will be tearing down my 312 on Friday and taking it to the machinist.  Hopefully, by late winter it will be rebuilt and installed.  Ordered my new Mummert 4V intake a while back, it should be here anytime, supposedly next week sometime.  My cam will be next, followed by pistons and rods, then finally, the Quicktime blowproof bellhousing.  I have decided to make the Paxton a long term project, rather than keeping the car inoperable until I can round up all the parts.  I will run the car with modified "G" heads until I get all the components for the Paxton VR57, then will swap to the 471 heads and bolt the charger on.  Those original `57 only parts are hard to find, and expen$ive when you do find them.  Here are a couple more photos...
Old, loud, and fast.

57 Ford Kustom

James,
   That set up looks bad a.. , Thanks for the pics! I wish you luck on the project. Us northerners get our winter months to work on our cars, you Rebels must just work on them when you got the time! LOL :003:. I have got the interior of mine stripped, and the engine torn down right now!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Zapato

Wonder if they make a set for a 302 in the 53-56 f100 ? Those look great.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

wv 57s forever

57AGIN

James:

Those fenderwell headers look really great.  I didn't know they were still being made, good score.  It also looks like when you do install the VR57 you would have options on how to do your superchargers air intake.  I can't remember where Hoosier Hurricane feeds cold air into his setup, whatever he has done it certainly works. 

I had too much interference with my brake system and supercharger discharge with the blowoff valve sitting right in the way for a direct air feed from the firewall, using the cowl openings for my cold air intake.  Instead, I had run my cold air from in front of the radiator up behind the headlight through the K&N filter then into the engine compartment.  This results in lots of directional changes for the air before getting to the supercharger inlet on my car.  Of course it is a great deal better than just taking air out of the engine compartment from right next to the headers.  Besides, for every pound of supercharger boost, it has to suck that same volume of air from in front of the radiator.  At 6,000 rpm that's 7 lbs of boost, so I guess that's also 7 lbs of suck and that's a lot of suck.  lol

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

Hurricane gets fresh air directly from the cowl.  I have pics of it somewhere..
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

glen b henderson

James, those look alot like the old rusted ones that I had. The collectors look different (better) and they don't appear to turn down as much, but they look like they will work great with extensions.
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

You ought to snag a set, Glen.  That is a great deal for coated headers, plus the cheap shipping.  I got my Mickey Thompson tires for the back today, hope to get a set of Torque Thrusts for the front soon...As soon as the weather gets better, I will be pulling the Ford out and getting it ready to spray.  Hopefully, by the time it's ready, I will have decided on a color.  I'm back to dark blue or white now, I hate this part.  Color is such a huge part of the build, and you kinda have to be able to live with it once it's done...The color I choose has to able to help carry the early 60's Jr Stocker drag racing vibe I am working toward.  Hopefully, even though the components are not Stock legal, like glass fenders, etc, I will at least capture the appearance anyway.
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

If I remember right, some of those jr stockers had some pretty wild paint jobs. I think one of the factory color combos would look good on it. Take a good profile pic and use one of the computer programs to change the colors until you find something you like.
Freedom is not Free

2x57sedan

man, i was hoping these were gonna be for an F/E  ....oh well i guess im still going homemade for my 57
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

JPotter57

I snagged a pair of 15X4 Torque Thrusts and Mickey Thompson tires off ebay last night.  As soon as they get here and I can get my car out of the garage, I will get a couple pictures.  I need to get it out so I can start the block sanding on it.  Will be settling on a color soon, I hope.
Sorry 2X, no FE for me this time.  Although I love the FE (would love to have a 406 or 427), I am committed to the Y block right now.  My Isky cam and lifters will be here tomorrow, as well as my multi-keyway timing set.  Hope to get it installed in my new 292 soon.  I will be putting a bigger Isky cam in my 312, this is just the F300 (factory blower style cam).  Can't wait!!
Old, loud, and fast.