News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

biggest wheels and tires possible

Started by fordub, 2007-10-03 13:59

Previous topic - Next topic

fordub

HI Guys,
What wheel, tire sizes have you guys put on the back of a stock wagon or Ranchero? I just bought some 17 X 8 Torq Thrust II wheels for the back and want to know how big a tire I can squeeze without cutting too much.

shopratwoody

I don't think the Americans will fit with the stock opening. I have those on mine with 275X60,s. I narrowed the
rearend 1 1/2" and the fenderwells are modified. With a full radiused opening such as Briney's you can run
the wheels with 275's.
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

briney

I'm running 16x8 and mine are pretty tight too.  :003:

Patrick / Dallas TX  :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

57chero

Ill be putting 17x7 on the front and 17x8 torque thrusts on the back of my ranchero I know they will fit because theres a guy here locally with a Del Rio wagon thats running 17x8 with 245-45-17 on the back with no modifications other than flattening the insde lip slightly, I could run my hand between the tire and fender.Plus it depends on what offset your using.

fordub

I will be using a 4" offset. It should center the tire just right. (I Hope)

shopratwoody

with the bandaid tires they probably will fit  :unitedstates:
I hate blocksanding!

dmraymond

I have a 57 custom 300 and want to up date my wheels to.16-17 inches. what off set do I need, and what size tire can I go to with out any modifcations?   thanks  390 ford.

meteor

Hey Fordub, did your 17x8 torq thrust wheels fit the back of your wagon/ranchero?

and I'm curious, what rim width are you running up front?

thanks
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

57AGIN

DMRaymond:

Sorry for the delay in responding to your Custom 300 wheels question.  I mounted both Cragar 15 x 8 with 255 x 60R15 TA Radials and Weld PROSTAR 15 x 8 with a set of Micky Thompson P235 x 60R15 E.T Street Radials.  The Cragar rims had the maximum back space 5.375" backspace, the Weld rims had a 5.5" backspace.  I have no tire clearance problems, other than trimming the inner lip of the wheel well and having to raise the car by the frame, undo and drop the rear shackles & shocks and drop the entire rear end to get clearance between the outer wheel well and rear brake drums when mounting or dismounting the tires.  If I have a flat on the road, I have to say hello to the AAA.  Is it worth it?  Absolutely!!!

I don't think there would be much difference with 16" rims, I don't know about 17's.  Hope this helps.

Bob
57AGIN

dmraymond

Thanks,you have answered my questions, I really wanted 17 s but I'll go with 16s. Appreceiate your help,   57ford

4banger

Just a little info. On the rear of my ' 57, I have 275x60x15 with no clearance problems and with no alterations what so ever!!!!!!!!!! LOOKS GREAT

shopratwoody

What's the neg. offset on the wheels and how wide are they ? (wheels)
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

FoMoCo57

hey guys, has anybody stretched  the rear fenders to get more tire? Read up on a magazine car, he stretched the fender out
  1 inch on each side. I hate the thought of cutting the fenders, but bigger is better with tires. 

fordub

I think stretching fenders is fugly. Unless you are Chip Foose and have all the right stuff.

wildhog

I don't know why you guys have trouble with tire sizes??!!! Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)