News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, all you 4.6 fans, the February street rodder came yesterday, there is a nice article about the 4.6. No particular vehicle, but good stuff about intake manifolds, oil filter options, some talk about wiring, they compare length, width, height to a 351W, and a SBC. Good read,  Mark

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the headsup...I went down and got a copy.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rlibew

I'm useing the computers from the 03 cobra as well as hydro boost pedels, oil pan from 90s linclon. The computer has to be reworked to eliminate 02 sensers, anti lock barakes etc etc.I fuel system uses the cobra 0ne line fuel pump in my stock tank after being altered to except cobra fuel pump. The steering is from unisteer for this modification , but had to be reworked to clear pan ?? so much for kit for this application. The rear end is a 2" narrowed 57 ford 9" with 3.50 gears, track lock, with Exploder rear disc brakes and lokar emergency brake cables. The 2" narrowed rear end was to acomadate 275-60-15 tires on 8 or 9 in rims with 4 to 5 in back space. The rear springs were relocated as well to a inline with frame lacation gaining 2 1/2 " to the inside.I have test fitted 275-60-15 on 8" rims with 3.5 back space that fit close without trimming fender lip. Still a lot of work to be done , my hope is to have it on the road next spring by April.  My current issue is left front fender it does not apear to have been hit but is has a bow in the middle just above the tire center, body guys is trying to srink it out and claims many 57 ford were stamped with this erregularity. I'm now looking for a left front without this defect, I just do not want to look down the side of my car and see this, right side does not have this. 

57dohc

Great progress.  I wish I was as far along as you!  I'm still in the process of removing the k member on the Mach 1 and as usual it is taking more time than expected  Hope to finish that this week and get engine fitted on the 57 frame.  I did discover that the Mustang radiator is damaged and not usable; I am curious how the 57 radiator you are using fits with your engine.  The Mustang engine compartment is about 6 inches longer to the firewall and I had expected a clearance problem with the 57 radiator with the electric fan.  As the engine I'm installing is quite like yours, your imput would be helpful.
I have also given up on using the 4 link rear axle after spending to much time under this car.  It would be quite a job without taking the frame off the body and I don't think I need to do this with this car.  I do have a lincoln versailles disc rear I can use which will simply bolt in and concentrate on all the other things that need to be done.
By the way, I do have an extra left front fender that is really nice.  I bought it at a swap meet 10 years ago when I didn't even have a 57 ford!  The only reason I bought it was I hadn't seen a rust free 57 fender for years and I might need it some day.  If you don't get yours straightened, I probably could be talked out of it.  However, I do live in Colorado! Al

RICH MUISE

what are either of you doing for motor mounts?
57dohc:...will the versailles rear member fit without narrowing? If I remember correctly, the '57-8's were the narrowest of any of the 9".

57dohc

Rich,
The Versailles rear axle is within one half of an inch difference in width from the 57 and exactly the same from spring perch to spring perch.  I've put a couple of these in early Mustangs which are also the same.  The drawbacks are that they are heavy,bearing and seals are expensive and the emergency brake system is a pain to hook up.  Of course, the gear ratios are always bad for the 9 inch center so I'll be looking for a 3.50 ratio traction lock.
I'm hoping I can use the existing motor mounts on the 4.6.  I think i remember a post on this site where the existing motor mounts on the cross member were simply "notched" to accept the single bolt of the Mustang.  Hopefully, that will be the case.  I should know shortly.
I did get my Continental oil pan today.  Gave up and bought one on Epay; $31 from a yard in New Jersey and even with $19 in shipping it was less than the only local one I could find at $85.  I put 6 quarts of water in to test the fill level which was within about half an inch from the top.  Even the shallow end had over an inch coverage.  I do think the existing oil dipstick will work by just shortening it until it just bottoms out on the pan and then marking the "full" mark once the 6 quarts of oil are added. 

RICH MUISE

rlibew:...sounds like your at a point on your build where you at least know what you're gonna do for the radiator/cooling fans? Do you know how much room you have for them? I'm hopefully gonna try and rework my core support to move the new 8 cyl. radiator I bought forward so it mounts more like the 6 cyl. radiator, then going to try and adapt the Markviii shroud and fan assembly. I pulled some dimensional drawings off the internet..length and width look like it should work....depth I'm not sure about. The 4.6 is 3 or 4 inches shorter than the 351, so hopefully there's room.

rlibew

I'm using the complete 2003 cobra wirering harness, I have a tech who will eliminate o2 sensor, air bags, security etc etc. I have purchased a programmer for this and later dyno tune for drive ability. All this is being handled by Scharders speed and style here in California.

The donnor car's computers, hydro boost, peddle Assembly, fuel pump peddles etc etc are being used here. engine set in engine very nice, albeit filling it up. As I had reported the alternater was move up as cobra alternater is located bottom drivers side. we modified inner panel but we were not happy with clearance if engine moved under real driving conditions. I know I still owe picts and soon will do so 

RICH MUISE

and the radiator? Looking forward to pics.
Rich

gasman826

I have a couple of those Mark VIII fans hanging on the wall.  Everything that I have read says they move more air than about anything else.  Many are two speed.  The shroud will not be the same size as your radiator so about an inch can be trimmed to get it closer to the radiator.  Will need to fab a shroud.  You can also offset the fan to get more room between the fan motor and the water pump pulley.  I tossed the core support and made one.  The 460 is every bit the room hog as a 4.6.

RICH MUISE

don't know what the length of the 460 is...My guess it's 3-5 inches longer that the 4.6, Width wise, your 460 is about 6" narrower than a 4.6 SOHC...compared the two in side by side cars at the local yard a few weeks ago....and of course the DOHC is wider yet.

rlibew

So far my two fan offset unit looks like it well fit, but sense we are now on body work with engine and front clip coming back out for body paint with doors and fenders being painted while off frame, it will be a few weeks to get back to it.
My left front fender is now in good shape with bow almost completely gone, maybe down to eight of an inch. The question came up about motor mounts, mine are stock mustang with 57 frame perches reworked as mine were butchered  by early owner to install 302 not sure why holes were en-longgated with torch but they were. I'm not sure 
about Lengths of other engines but the 4.6 fits with my 4 row aluminum 57 radiator but close with electric fans. I will say this engine fills the engine bay, as it is a wide engine, but looks very nice in there. I'm hoping for spring 13 to have it on the road, maybe no interior but on the road. I know pictures pictures

RICH MUISE

I somehow missed this post until this morning. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming the fan/radiator combo "looking like it will fit" is with the '57 radiator in the original position on the core support?
I'm going to look into moving my new aluminum radiator forward in the core support by altering the support.

rlibew

The dual offset fan unit looks like it will fit without moving radiator mounts forward as the 4.6 is actually shorted by 4.375" in length than a 351 engine. In the current Street Rodder magazine there is a article on these two engine with measurements , width length height. the article actually compares the measurements of the 4.6, 351 Ford and a 350 Chevie. My fan unit has two 11electric fans built into an aluminum shroud with placement at upper and lower corners there still in the box but I  will verify if they are upper left and lower right  or vise verse but don't thing is will matter. I will take some measurements this weekend and respond

57dohc

The engine may be shorter but the routing of coolant tubes between the front of the engine and electric fan may create clearance problems.  The Mustang engine compartment is almost 6 inches longer than the 57 (firewall to radiator support) and that still doesn't afford too much extra room to keep the hoses out of the engine pulleys.  I do think Rich's solution of moving the radiator forward will probably give enough clearance if those hoses  can be secured to the back of the fan assembly.  Of course, I am working with the orginal Mustang fan and other units may not take up as much room.