News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Had 4 guys over the house this morning from my buddie's garage...got their opinions on stuff while they were here. I found out those 2 chambers are baffles..kinda work like a muffler. So, they are coming off. I'm pretty sure at this point also I'm just going to run a K & N filter setup on the inside of the Engine compartment and not go thru the inner fender. Also it looks like the battery would be better in the trunk area, so I may give up on trying to squeeze it in up front. Next I need to figure the condenser lines and which direction to go with those.
So anyways those are the things to be worked on next, at least I've finally got a gameplan...it'll be interesting to see how or if the gameplan changes as I actually proceed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Rich - mounting the battery in the trunk is a good solution.  I would run the cables under the car using insulated tie downs on the inside of the frame with a battery shut off switch.  Installing the cables inside the rockers could present problems(corrosion, accessibility), etc. in the future. 

RICH MUISE

A little progress....got my condenser mounted, well 3 of the 4 brackets. Also started on reworking the Mark viii air intake. I notched the back end of it to fit under the firewall ledge as posted in previous pics. I checked my tube of por-15's por patch and it says for plastics, an adhesive as well as seam sealer..great. I started by "tack welding " a piece of window screen on with a hot glue gun. This kept the screen in place while the por patch set up. I got two thick layers put on and sanded a bit. It wasn't completly set up due to the cold weather. but I could tell it was going to work really well to get an acceptable finish on the reworked areas and is sticking very well to the plastic housing...won't be a problem feathering a good edge so I can get it painted or powder coated. I also closed up an 1 1/2 dia hole where I cut a tube off. I used a metal hole cover and bent it to shape, then gobbed a bunch of por patch around the clips and snapped it in. Likewise, a 1/2 x 1 1/2 rectangular hole where I cut off an air chamber I didn't want was also plugged with the screen and por patch. It may take a week or so to get another few coats put on and dried enough to finish with the cold weather.

RICH MUISE

after two layers and a bit of sanding. I'm gonna get a third layer put on this morning. Unlike por-15, por patch has a good shelf life after opening. This tube is at least a year old.

RICH MUISE

Got the final coat of por patch put on the air intake a few days ago..too cold in the garage to sit and sand on it now, so it'll get set aside for a while and on to the next project.
Next project: gas tank and fuel pump. I got my gas tank in from Auto city Classic. I ordered the Ni-terne finish, my only concern was if it would cause a problem similar to welding galvanized (I'll never do that again), and it does not. It welds really well with no fumes that I can tell.
I thought I had ordered my fuel pump and installation pan from Tanks inc two weeks ago, but on checking on the order last week, discovered I apparently never finalized the order. Funds were getting short anyway, so I reordered just the installation pan for now. I'll reorder the pa-4 pump next payday!
The pump is going to require 1 1/4 clearance at the top of the tank to avoid clearance issues with fuel lines and the trunk floor when the tank is mounted. The pump also requires a minimum of 6" tank depth. I Dykemed and  layed out the tank, using the weld-in pan from Tanks Inc to scribe the cut lines, then used a piece of 1 1/2 angle to scribe the cut depth. After cutting the opening, I Dykemed the weld-in pan and used the tank to scribe those cuts.
Got it tacked in yesterday..ran out of shielding gas for the welder, so had to stop. The pan is set at 1 5/16 from the top, and that leaves a depth of 7" to the tank bottom..so all appears to be well in tankland.

RICH MUISE

By far the most tedious part of the job was the deburring and cleaning. Lots of burrs and grit from the cutoff tool. I used a plastic coated magnetic pick up tool to 'sweep' the inside of the tank thoroughly..got most of it. Also a lot of blowing out with an air nozzle. I then soaked new microfibre towels with  brake cleaner and gave the inside a thorough wipe down. After the welding is done, I'll do a final cleaning. Tanks Inc. recommends a really strong magnet inside the tank with at least a quart of WD-40 to slosh around. I guess the idea is when any loose stuff passes the magnet suspended  in the WD-40, it'll stick to the magnet. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd follow that up with a rinse of Gasolene before installing the tank. Probably would also be a good idea to change out the fuel filter after the first tank of gas.
I also ordered new Stainless gas tank straps. They're made well, but not too pretty...yet!
I cut off quite a bit, btw, from the weld in pan..it comes as a 5 sided piece large enough for a sender as well if needed.

gasman826

Serious tank surgery!!!!!

When it was open, did you add a surge box?

RICH MUISE

What's a surge box? If it's the same as a baffle/tray setup to prevent air from getting in the pickup tube with low fuel, it is part of the Tanks inc fuel pump setup. If it isn't, I didn't.
Also got the welding done. I've got to do a leak check tomorrow. Or...I could just wait til it's all done and see what happens when I install that flame thrower exhaust. Had a bit of a time fixing the blow-thru, but finally got it. I had no problems with blow-thru today at all. All in all, I was really pleased with my welding. I was able to get a nice small bead, but with good penetration. In the past I've had trouble getting a small weld, but for one thing, I welded inside so I wasn't contending with the wind blowing away the shielding gas. I also played with the wire feed controls a bit so I was able to get a nice steady, but slow feed for a change. Love that sizzling sound when things are going right. I'd weld about 3/8 of an inch and stop, but keep the torch there until the red glow went out, then another 3/8 until I got all the way around. I ground off most of the weld, but I'm not going to try and get it flush. A close look at the ground area shows no breaks, cracks, or voids in the weld. I'm happy with it.

Ford Blue blood

Nice work, looks like you got that "wire/heat" thing figured out!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bill...now, if I could just afford a helmet so I didn't have to weld with my eyes closed.

Ford Blue blood

Save up for a decent mid range priced auto dim.  Best money I spent with respect to patch panel work!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Actually got on of those years ago..but a cheap auto dim. I just use the eyes closed excuse cause my welding never looks pretty. I do need a better helmet though, at least want to borrow a good one to see if visibility while welding is any better than what I've got already. Can't tell ya how many times I've wandered off a seam thinking I was right on it, but ended up laying down a bead 1/4 off to the side.

RICH MUISE

I need to plug up the oem fuel line hole..does anybody know offhand what the thread size is? I think it is a 1/2-20. It is not a 1/4 npt or 1/2 -13. If I could just find my thread gages...need to clean up my shop.
I also need to figure out whether to use the new vent location in the fuel pump assembly, or plug it and use the oem location.

RICH MUISE

The unused oem fuel line port/fitting is 1/2-20. Picked up a allen head set screw and set it in with sealant.
Also just did a leak test on my welding. All good except the seam area where I went back to fix the blow-thru. I was hammering on that area a bit, so it doesn't surprise me. To check for leaks I used laquer thinner with a little dykem added for bluing so I could see it.
Back to welding after I let the lacquer thinner evaporate thoroughly. After I get that fixed, I'll por-15 the seam from the inside for insurance. Yes, the por-15 is recommended for sealing gas tanks.

EDIT..........DO NOT por-15 the inside of your tank. Not enough tooth, the por-15 will eventually come off.

RICH MUISE

Got it rewelded and checked...no leaks...Yeah!! I ground some of the weld off to clean it up a bit, but left most of it on this time. I por-15'd a test patch on the cutout piece to make sure it sticks with the Ni-tern coating. I'll let it dry overnight and check it in the a.m.