News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

LAUDY57

Phoenix depends on money and since I haven't sold my boat or my other 57 any trips this winter might not happen. I'd like to see the Pavillion Sat night show again for the LED lights a lot of guys have, last time we were there after dark I didn't have my camera. The light strips are available here now and I've put the ones I got at Autozone on the front rear and a couple inside. I might end up parting out the 57 custom like Norwell suggested to me, don't know yet - no one wants to fill holes anymore it seems.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

Lorne...let me know if things change. BTW, Sat. Oct 11 is also Cruise Central annual show and cruise...makes for a heck of a day with the Pavillion cruise night!
Bill..I got the fan relay changed to a temp controlled setup. Thanks again
Btw, on the EFI harness I ordered, unlike the Ron Francis Express wiring chassis harness that had a number of customer specific alterations they supplied for me, the MK-93 EFI harness is pretty much "everybody gets the same thing"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

trying to get all the parts i need in the shop before the snow comes.looking at putting power steering in at the same time i am thinking of using a borgeson set up.rich in one of your pictures i saw,your air filter was in a position to get air blowen at it when the fan comes on,this can cause problems with your mass air flow senser.just something to think about 

RICH MUISE

Thanks for that input. I'm not even sure where the mass airflow sensor is at this point...I suspect it's the sensor that is still plugged in the intake plenum close to the back end.? Hopefully it's not something I unknowingly deleted. This is the kinda stuff hopefully I'll know after doing the wire by wire Ron Francis type EFI install rather than a plug-n-play type harness.
I hadn't done it yet because I need the hood in place, but I planned on making an aluminum or ABS surround to go under/around the air cleaner just leaving the top area open....like the setup you'd see typically on late model mods. I thought they did it to block off warm engine air and for cleanlyness..hadn't thought about it being a problem the air intake getting air blown on it from the fans....I though that would be a plus rather than a problem.
I guess I need a little education on the mass air flow sensor, and what problems could arise if the cooling fans affect it. A friend has a 4.6 sohc in a 56 'Bird, with an air filter setup similar to mine, but I don't know if his has the mass air flow as his computer has been reflashed to eliminate "some" stuff.

RICH MUISE

Went over and talked to my local builder friend and got a little education. The mass airflow sensor is not what I still have and hoped it was. He is telling me it is something that is going to be needed for the computer...phsically I found out, it is the sensor that is mounted to the cylindical aluminum casting that was in the oem airbox, just before the engine intake plenum...so back to the drawing table to try and figure out how  or if I can squeeze that casting/sensor in the "line", or if I have to start all over from scratch. Kim didn't know for sure, but he is taking an educated guess that the computer knows the diameter of the aluminum casting and that is used to calculate the air flow and temp., so I probably need to keep the aluminum casting as well as the sensor to avoid feeding the computer incorrect info. In other words, it would be easier to remove the sensor from the casting and install the sensor  in the existing plenum, but that probably won't work accurately
Thanks for bringing it to my attention Gary...better to find out sooner than later.

RICH MUISE

I got confirmation from Ron Francis that the Mass air flow sensor unit is definetly required. He also confirmed my friends theory that the aluminum housing is to maintain a specific dia to conform to data the computer has. Scott also told me that '96 and newer had different connectors, so If I don't have the one from my donor mark viii, I need to pull one from a '93 to '95.

canadian_ranchero

glad to help.the mass air flow senser and the computer are matched togeather,hope you have the one out of the doner car.93-95 mass air sensers are the same,but need to be from a mark VIII

RICH MUISE

I'm going to look today, I'm not sure if I kept it. If not there are a few 93-95 Marks at the local salvage yard. I'd feel better knowing I've got a working one if I had the one out of my donor car.
Edit...I don't have the MAF sensor, so I'll have to hit the yards before snow flies....and figure out how to make a housing for it. I can push the existing air filter forward 4" or so, but if I have to, I'll change the shape/size of the filter to something else.

RICH MUISE

Hmmmm....
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3469908&cc=1430243
Bill, Gary..please check this out. What are your thoughts regarding it's statement.."incorporated into any platform regardless of duct assembly".
Does "incorporated into"posible mean without computer reprograming?
Am I asking for additional problems trying to use this in my existing ducting? This sensor came up with others in the search for 95 mark viii. maf sensors.

Edit...never mind...with a little research, I figured out the description attached to this sensor is not specifically for this sensor, but a statement on Delphi sensors in general.
None available locally in the salvage yards, I'll either order a new one or an ebay used one.

RICH MUISE

I ordered a new MAF sensor from Rockauto. It comes with the aluminum housing, and is $88. Looking at my friend's sensor for a '96 dohc waiting to be installed in a '36 chev, I noticed the sensor was made in Japan. The Rockauto new sensor was made by Hitachi with a note it was an OE part. The rebuilt Cardone units were the same price. The connector changed in '96, BTW. I am hoping to remove my air cleaner, and fit the aluminum housing where that joint was, then make an adapter plate to mount the air cleaner to the MAF housing. Should be easy if all the diameters are the right size.
I got my Gen IV Evaporator delivered Friday, so when I get a little time, I'll figure what I need for the hoses to hook it up.

canadian_ranchero

when they went to EEC V/obd II thats when the connecter changed.the early marks are EEC IV/obd I.

RICH MUISE

Speaking of air cleaners, Gary...something you may consider doing before you install the engine is trimming the pinch seam back to the firewall right in the center where it is already smaller. This will give you more room for the intake plenum.

RICH MUISE

I got my MAF sensor in today from Rockauto. Funny, you can see where they ground off the Ford oval on the sensor housing, and put the Hitachi sticker over it. Guess they weren't lying about it being an OE part. This won't be a major issue to add it. Summit carries Spectre brand air intake systems, and they make both an adapter plate and a rubber collar to adapt the MAF housing to their 4" ducts, and the air filter. I ordered both today, $24 with shipping. The adapter plate will make it the assembly too long by an 1 1/2", so I may not use it unless I can get that much taken out elsewhere, or I buy a shorter air filter. I may just cut the collar off the air filter, and attach the MAF housing directly to the backside of the filter.

canadian_ranchero

tested some of the wiring.found the mark 8 oil presser switch works with the 57 dash light

RICH MUISE

That's good to know. After I get my gauges and the rest of the car wired, I may go back and put a bank of idiot lights on the console , although mine will probably be the led type.