News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Rich what are you planning to use for power distribution in your conversion?  The 57 has  a very basic system and with electric fuel pumps, ac etc all needing power I was curious what you Re planning.  I am doing a 302 swap and the selection of fuse boxes etc is almost overwhelming.  Thought maybe you have the filed narrowed down!

RICH MUISE

I went Ron Francis all the way for many reasons. This is going to get quite lengthy, so I'm going to post the reply in the electrical section.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

my plan is to use the mark 8 wiring.removing what i do not need

RICH MUISE

LOL...perfect timing...check the last of my 4 part reply in the electrical tech.

Raven Rider

I hope not to hijack your thread here but I have been looking in the local junk yards here in Phoenix for a 4.6 DOHC and I went to a yard that really helped me out when I built a Factory Five Cobra, they supplied every thing for the 5.0 motor and even gave me a Fluid Dyne alum. radiator for Christmas because the one they included in the parts  purchase leaked.  They said they have a Mark III with 60K that they will do the same thing for (include every thing I need and a after market oil pan for $2500.00 and they will deliver to my house.  Is that a good deal it sounds good to me but what does the experts say?

RICH MUISE

A Mark iii (very rare...a typo?)is not going to get you a 4.6. The first 4.6's came out in '93 with the Mark Viii. I think 2500 is a bit high. Does Arizona allow the public to buy at insurance autions? That's how I found mine. Long story, but the best one I saw on the auction site I was using turned out to be the closest of their 50 some odd sites across the country. I found what I was later able to confirm a one owner 58,ooo mile 95 Mark Viii that had been garaged all it's life. Honestly except for the rear quarter accident damage, there wasn't a ding or scratch on it. Interior was perfect. I paid 1,000 for it at auction, by the time I paid agent fees and the auction house fee, and rented a trailer to tow it home, it cost me 1800 roughly. It even had a set of new Michelins on it. After I pulled the engine, tranny, aluminum driveshaft (it fits the '57 short wheelbase cars with only a rear u-joint change)computer, ignition control module, electric fans, etc., I sold it to a guy who has since become a good friend. The independent rear end clip out of that car is now under his '56 Ford pickup....Michelins and all!
The best year range for a 4.6 dohc Mark VIII is 93-95. 93-95 are the same, everything is interchangeable. '96 has different computer programming and is not compatible with '93-95 as far as at least the computer which leads me to believe there are other things. 97 and 98 Mark VIII's were the last years for the Marks. the engines are coil on plug rather than the earlier coil packs and spark plug wires. The biggest difference with them though is you'll have to deal with an electronic gas pedal linkage, and they also have the PATS system which is a major pita to deal with. Pats=passive anti theft system, you can tell if a car has it by the ignition key having a chip in it. The computers definetly need to be reprogrammed to use these 2 years.
The other option to consider are the later year Mustang dohc. You will have to deal with them the same as the 97-98 Marks, but some of them are supercharged, and some are manual 5 speed.
continued....

RICH MUISE

I guess 2500 isn't all that bad if they are delivering it....Lots of Marks out there, but a low miles one is hard to find. getting it delivered  sure saves two or three hard day's work. If the Mark iii you typed is a typo, let me know. what you will need along with it depends on the year. One part you'll need I didn't mention is the mass airflow sensor.
Oil Pan...aftermarket?? What you need is a front sump oil pan out of a Continental, along with the oil pick up tube. I looked when I was searching for one and couldn't find an aftermarket..Dorman makes them for the Marks, not the Continental. I got mine from a '95 Continental..ebay 45. with the tube. Not sure what other year Continentals will work....as long as it's a Continental with a 4.6 DOHC, it should work. The Continentals are front wheel drive, btw..mostly useless for our purposes. I did pull a set of COP valve covers off a '97.
If the drivetrain you found is 97-98, I'd keep looking, just because of the extra work and expense. Lots of Mark VIII's out there..particularly should be easy to find in your area with all the snowbirds. I think for some reason they also deleted the dual intake runner system in '97...one feature I like.
Canadian Ranchero (Gary) may have a different take than what I said.

RICH MUISE

Arizona does allow the public to buy. I just saw a 93 Mark Viii coming up for auction on the 16th. It only has 79K miles, but the reason it's at auction is not the usual collision, it's "mechanical", so no telling what's wrong with it, and you wont find out from the aution company. This is definely buyer beware territory. My guess on this on is it won't go for much higher than scrap value, which should be around 300.
www.iaai.com
poke in 1993 Lincoln mark viii in the search block
Bad thing about the public able to bid is bidding would probably be higher than when it's limited to dealers who are looking to salvage cars and make some money.

Raven Rider

Rich you are correct it was a typo.  I cannot nor do I want a donor car because I'm getting too old to mess with it and I have NO room at my house for another project.  I will check and find out what year this "kit" is and I hope it isn't a 93 - 95 that way I can pass it up.  If is in the 93 - 95 range I most likely buy it a put it back for a while.  They have the Mustang stuff too but they told me all 4.6 cobra motors and trans will be more money and all cobra's were 5 speed manuals and I want a auto.  I will call you in a few days to talk 4.6 swap if that is OK. 

RICH MUISE

Call me anytime...(except when the Broncos are playing, lol)My home number is 806 379 6213. I hear better on the land line than the cell that I posted before . With the "kit" they have, you'll need to make sure they know the importance of having components from the correct vintage. If it a '96, make sure the computer is from the same donor car...I think there may be two versions of the computer for '96. This weekend would probably be good so we can talk before you make the deal with the salvage yard. Also remind me when we talk, we need to discuss what your thoughts are for a shifter....that may affect your parts list from the salvage yard.

RICH MUISE

Kennyoops...Raven..you can verify the info they give you on the vintage. There is a vinyl sticker on the valve cover with a sku code and date of manufacture.

Back to my install...I was able to make room for the MAF sensor. I cut about 5/8 off each end of the 45* elbow, and 5/8 off the end of the plastic air intake plenum. I also cut off about 3/4 from the rubber collar on the K & N filter. The filter adapter I got from Spectre has a different hole pattern than the one on my MAF sensor, so I need to slot one or the other to accept the screws.
There's always something to make the job not as smooth as it could be! Where I want my MAF sensor's connector to be is too close to the coil pack, but the coil pack is coming off eventually anyways.

canadian_ranchero

there is also a build date on the sticker you can see when you open the drivers door.the early marks are easier to swap. rich you are a lot further than i am,still rounding up all the parts.but i do not want to take a driving car apart until the snow flies 

RICH MUISE

The door sticker, yes. And there is a sticker on the hood that references the emmisions system's year. I wasn't sure if Raven would get to see the donor car though, or if the drivetrain had already been pulled. The door sticker also references the gross weight (w/ passengers, luggage, etc.) of the Marks at 4921 lbs..I haven't been able to find a number for the net, or empty weight though.
Gary...what are you doing for the shifting mechanism...are you going to a floor shifter, or going to adapt to the column? A few years back you recommended using the Mark viii's shifter for my application, which I did. I think I'm going to be happy with it. It took some mods to the cable length and the housing to get it in the console that was designed for another shifter, but I finally got it in and working smoothly.

Raven Rider

Thanks for all the good information.  I have bought from these guys before and we have had a few "misunderstandings" so now we have a good working relationship.  They know me and I know them.  I will find out tomorrow what year it is and if not 93-95 I will have them look for that year.  I have a ton of things to do first so this maybe a while down the road. Even canadian ranchero might even get it done before me.  :005:  I do appreciate all the help.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-09-14 09:56
The door sticker, yes. And there is a sticker on the hood that references the emmisions system's year. I wasn't sure if Raven would get to see the donor car though, or if the drivetrain had already been pulled. The door sticker also references the gross weight (w/ passengers, luggage, etc.) of the Marks at 4921 lbs..I haven't been able to find a number for the net, or empty weight though.
Gary...what are you doing for the shifting mechanism...are you going to a floor shifter, or going to adapt to the column? A few years back you recommended using the Mark viii's shifter for my application, which I did. I think I'm going to be happy with it. It took some mods to the cable length and the housing to get it in the console that was designed for another shifter, but I finally got it in and working smoothly.
the shiping weight on the base model marks is about 3800lbs.i have a 2001 4r70w that has a totally different shift lever,i think this will hook up to the stock 57 auto coluum.will not know for sure till i get to that part of the swap