News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Gary...I was hoping you were going to see Raven Rider's post..I knew you'd have all of that good info for him! Thanks
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Got a few "other" things  done on the car not directly tied in to the 4.6 install...got the Gen IV evaporator installed except for wiring, got the windshield washer system installed complete.
When I pulled the engine from the Mark VIII, I was very careful with all the connectors and wiring on the engine harness. Frankly, I thought the Ron Francis / Televek kit plugged into that harness, but I've just recently discovered that's not the case...the old harness is not used at all. Last night I removed the old harness to get ready for the install of the new one. It sure cleaned thing up a bit, but there were a few connectors that were very difficult to reach, and I think are going to be really tough installing the new ones..namely the large connector that plugs in below the throttle body.Anyone using a same vintage 4.6 as mine with the throlle body all the way back near the firewall might think about plugging in the new wires(if you have them...I didn't) to that connector before installing the engine.
Anyways, as I said...removing the harness cleaned things up a bit. It will get alot cleaner when I remove the coil packs and plug wires for the cop's, but I don't want to do that mod till the engine is running.

RICH MUISE

Got the first 5 of 20 bags plugged in to the engine and run back to the entry point on the sidewall. I need a large firewall grommet before I cut a hole in the sidewall. I though I had pulled some from the Mark VIII donor car, but can't find them. I'm going to put the patch panel in the console, and the computer up behind the A/C. I'll shield the connection between the two as Bill suggested. My console was originally designed to be left open back there, as a package shelf, but aside from the patch panel, I also need places for A/C floor vents, and radio speakers.

lalessi1

Rich, your efforts, not to mention the car, are incredibly impressive. I would be scared to death of plugging it all in and it not working... I am having a hard enough time getting all my original stuff to work and in comparison it is tinker toys. When do you think the engine will be up and running?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I fully expect to be calling in the help when it's time and it doesn't start!! I've never wired a car before.This engine management harness is almost a no-brainer. One bag at a time, you plug the connector in where they tell you (they even caution you when there is more than one place it can physically plug into).
Every wire is color coded and clearly marked with where it came from and where it's going(terminal number on the patch panel). They recommend plugging in all the wires and running them back to the general area of the patch panel, then going back and tidying up the wires(ties, wrap, etc.), before trimming to length ,attaching terminals and connecting to the panel.
All the hard work is already done with all the connectors already attached.
There's a small group of guys on this forum that could do this 4.6 install without the aid of this Ron Francis harness, but I'm not one of them. Simply put, I would have picked an old school drivetrain (and would have had problems with that electrical) if it weren't for the availability of this. I may have a different opinion down the road a bit, but I don't think so. So far, it's been the easiest part of the whole drivetrain.

RICH MUISE

Dang...I just got to the bag with the throttle position sensor...the one I mentioned 4 or 5 posts earlier that was gonna be tough to reach. It is. I can't. I did figure any easy remidy though...I hope. I went out and looked at my spare engine, grabbed a socket, removed 4 screws  and lifted the throttle body staight up. Only thing attached to it is the throttle cable and a rubber hose. First a nap, then I'll go try it on the engine in the car.

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Naps are good.
Removing the throttle body was super easy and gave quick access to that connector. Now all I need is a new throttle body gasket!....1.59 Advanced Auto, will be here in the morning.
Speaking of cheap parts, I got in a Jegs firewall grommet yesterday, 14 bucks. a waste of money..would be ok for a shaft or hose, but way too thin for any wiring protection from abrasion.
I probably just wasn't paying enough attention to what I was ordering. Went out looking this morning and found a 2" heavy rubber grommet for 1.77, and made in the usa to boot. It's heavy walled, but flexible enough I can shape it into an oval for two wire bundles.

Raven Rider

Looking good there Rich.  How many outlets are you going to have for your A/C?  Did I read you have a spare engine?  good For You!

RICH MUISE

total of 4 outlets..two on the dash and one on each side of the console  in panels I haven't made yet.
Yep, spare engine. Years ago I bought a high mileage 94 Mark viii. 165K miles. My plans at the time were to have the engine rebuilt until I found out what it costs to rebuild these things. After I bought the low miles 95 Mark viii, I pulled all the usable/sellable parts from the junky one and sent the rest to the scrap yard.

RICH MUISE

Help!...Got a questions for you guys (Gary/CanadianRanchero?)with a 4.6 dohc already...coolant sensors...
The RF #MK-93 kit I'm installing has a connector that goes on the coolant temp. sensor. There is only one place that will fit, it's a sensor mounted to the right side of the metal u-shaped coolant hose assembly, kinda behind/beside the alternator, so that is done. However, I am trying to figure out how some of the other wiring ties in, and one of the things I'm looking at is a fan relay kit I got from Ron Francis for the MKVIII cooling fans. In that kit is a coolant temperature sensor that they recommend installing into a head's unused port, or if that's not feasible, into the intake manifold.
First question...are there unused, plugged oem ports in either of the heads/water jacket that will fit this sensor? or in the intake manifold? Seems unlikely to me, but that's what they told me to look for.
second question.... If there are not, I have found two other "sensor locations". The second one is also in the u-shaped top coolant pipe, on the left side. For reference, it does not have a connector, but a single threaded stud for one of those push on terminals. The third one is on the heater coolatnt pipe as it exits the engine block in the back. It also has just the single threaded stud. I guess I'm confused as to what these other two sensors actually are, I wouldn't think there would be three temperature sensors. Ron Francis recommends not installing the fan relay's temperature sensor in an external location, but I'm not sure I'll have a choice.
Edit....addressed to Gary because I know he's got a 4.6 to look at.....I went out and looked at my spare engine. On the backside of the right head, above the heater pipe outlet there are two plugs. Is there any way to find out what these plugs "go into"?...the water jacket I'm hoping. I think I've got enough room to get one of those plugs out and install the sensor...if I don't lose too much room with pipe adapters if needed.

canadian_ranchero

Rich.the sensor on the water manifold behind the alternator with the threaded stud is for the dash temperature gauge.the one on the back of the head on the pipe for the heater hose is a sensor to run the factory a/c system.i do not know what gauges you are using,so i do not know if you need the one on the front.the one in the heater pipe on the back may work if the sensor from your kit fits.   

RICH MUISE

Thanks Gary. I'm going to check out those 2 pluged holes on the back of the right head today...if I don't run into a metric problem on those, and if they in fact go to the waterjacket, I'll use one of those. Thanks to your input, I now know what that back sensor is for, I'll have to check out what the Vintage Air needs are, maybe I can use that back one the oem heat/air used for the fan relay. I'm sure I'll need the front one for my aftermarket gages.Thanks

canadian_ranchero

those plugs maybe for pluging the oil gallery.

RICH MUISE

Right you were! oil gallery, and they were a metric thread anyway, btw. The sensor you mentioned was for the oem heat/air is the correct sae pipe thread I need. Next thing is to see if the Vintage Air needs a sensor/sender if it doesn't I'm good to go.
update....no sensor in VA's instructions...guess I'm good to go.