News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I was going to pull the inertia switch out of the donor Mark Viii ...forgot. It left very quickly and unexpectedly after I pulled the engine...several things I would have pulled had it been around long enough for me to think about.  I probably will pull one from the salvage yard.
I did put a tip over vent in the gas tank.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I'm finding out how much time it takes to run the wires neatly...so many of them, a waste of time to try and hide them. I think I'm just going to make a cover for the intake when I'm done. that's where most the wires, tubing, hoses, etc. are anyway. Anyways, 2 days now working on the engine compartment wires that feed the Televork panel...almost done with that portion.
I left the two connectors/wiring that go to the coil packs out of the wrapped harnesses for now as they will move from the front of the engine to the back after I do the remainder of the cop conversion.

RICH MUISE

I finally got back to the wiring on Friday. Last night I completed the hookups to the Telorvek panel that run from the engine and tranny. There's still lots of wiring to do on the panel, but the the next ones all run to different places..gages,back-up lights,ignition switch/power supply,engine diagnostic plug,  indicator lights, OD lock-out tranny button,etc.etc.
I'm actually enjoying this very much..very tedious, my back hurts, but very easily followed instructions. LOL..down the road if the starter actually kicks over when I hit the ignition switch, there's going to be a huge smile on my face...even if the engine doesn't start.
The loop of wiring at the bottom kept seperate from the rest of the wiring are the coil pack wires that will be relocated/shortened after I finish the cop conversion.
So my wife asked..."what happened to the hanger on our closet door?"..lol The computer is mounted to the firewall, and the wiring harness has to pass right in front of it. That plastic hanger is a perfect size..just snaps over the computer and supports the harness.

lalessi1

Love these updates. Can't wait till you "fire 'er up".
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Rich that smile will stay there for a long time!  You'll know things are good when there is no smoke and the fuel pump turns on and then shuts off....:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Yeah, that fuel pump mystery is gonna have to be addressed shorly also....I need to procure a tip over switch before I do that. Hope we have a good weather day so I can hit the slavage yard. This Ron Francis wiring kit is kind of a no-brainer....just be methodical and recheck everything 3 times, but I'm very rapidly approaching the point where I need to start figuring out how all these interacting systems tie into each other...I'm probably gonna need alot of help when I get there.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-12-18 20:35
Since so many engine swaps are originating from EFI donor cars, how are you handling fuel pump safety switch?  GM's computer stops the fuel pump seconds after losing crank signal(engine stops turning).  I think Ford has an inertia switch that cuts power to the fuel pump in the event of a collision.  Any ideas???
It was in the mid 40's today, wind 20-30, 3 inches of snow and slush, but I trudged thru the salvage yard today and pulled this out of a 95 T-bird. They gave it to me. Ron Francis has supplies the wiring/connector off the Telorvek panel for the inertia switch/fuel pump. They have the relay socket for the fuel pump built into the panel, so I picked up a relay on the way home. Now I've just gotta get the wires put under the carpet. They are one of two things I forgot when I ran the wires back to the tail end before laying carpet.

RICH MUISE

I did check the switch, btw. Pretty cool...slap it real hard against your hand and the button pops up.

Ford Blue blood

I use them on everything I build with EFI!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I can see why...cheap, simply, safe.

hiball3985

I managed to get some speaker wires under the carpet in on car using one of the tools that you use to pull wire through conduit for your house.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Ah, I went fishing today too!...A few weeks ago I used a stiffer fiberglass fishing tape to pull the wires up from the tranny behtween the engine and firewall. I have a large plastic split protective sleeve going over the rear wheel well..only a half dozen wires, but I put in a 1" sleeve and taped it every three inches so I could run a flexible fishing tape thru it. That's what I did tonight. I made a bracket and mounted the enertia switch at the edge of the trunk floor. I then was able to fish the wire thru the sleeve, and since it was just one wire, I ran it under the carpet in the door sill area.
My carpet is the glue down variety, btw..it ain't coming up except to replace it when the time comes.

RICH MUISE

Not too much different to report...wires, wires, wires! I got the inertia switch mounted and the fuel pump wired. I started to install the sending unit that was supplied with my gage kit, and decided it was just too flimsy to last very long. I ordered a new one from Tanks Inc in the 230-30 OHMS range the new fuel gage uses. I am super happy with it...easily adjustable with no cutting and very heavy duty. Very good instructions also. The unit is actually made by classic instruments, but is $9 cheaper thru Tanks Inc.
I got some other wiring done..neutral switch, back-up lights,finished the brake switch(es), all the power feeds and grounds to both the chassis harness panel and the Telorvek panel. I added an additional grounding terminal strip under the dash, wired the engine code reader connector and a check engine light, finalized the ignition switch wiring, and probably some other stuff I forgot. Tommorrow, I'll install the fuel sending unit and hook up the wires I already have there waiting. I'm also going to wire up the OD lockout button on the shifter, and hook up a indicator light to it. I also need to feed some power to the shift position panel lighting on the console. I also want to finish the wires for the windshield washer tommorrow.

RICH MUISE

Only got the OD lockout switch and indicator light wired today...had some other stuff I had to do.
Back on page 30 of this thread I had asked about the vehicle speed  sensor/generator and how to hook it up to the digital speedometer. At that time I elected to wait and see what the Ron Francis/Telorvek kit addressed. Today I found out there is a terminal on the Televork panel for speedometer input. Yeah! That quickly became a non issue as everything else has so far.
I also found out tonight I have wrong wiring for the alternator, and maybe the solenoid. My fault, not Ron Francis'! This part of the engine wiring is actually part of the Express chassis wiring, and back when I ordered the kit 5(?) years ago I had not made a final decision on the engine, so we were guessing on what I would need when they made up the kit. I had totally forgotten that. They sent me one-wire wiring and solenoid wiring for an older style firewall mounted solenoid, as well as wiring for an external voltage regulator. I'll call them Monday and get the right stuff ordered, hopefully it won't take too long. I think at that time I was leaning to a 351.

RICH MUISE

I called this morning, and they told me the right stuff would be in today's mail. They even told me if I wanted to return the wrong stuff for credit I could...even though it was my fault, and it was I can't remember how many years ago I ordered it...it's been a few.