News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Bill, you were correct...per Vintage Air...purple to trinary switch, other to ground. Thank you.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

update. I think the installation/wiring instructions from Vintage Air leave alot to be desired. They are not very user friendly at all for the do-it-yourselfer. After a few phone calls I was finally able to get the wiring done. I think wiring the engine was less confusing.
This morning I borrowed an A/C vacumn pump system from a friend and I'm running a vacumn check on it as I type. After a 1/2 hour I've got no drop in vacumn, so it looks like I'm good to go on that. With all the different fittings on that system that's a huge relief. I'll give it another 1/2 hour then go get some refrigerant so I can check out my wiring and the complete A/C system.

RICH MUISE

update #2....had a very good day. I let the vacumn sit for almost an hour and had no drop at all. Yahoo!!! I wasn't looking forward to trying to chase down which of the many fittings was leaking if I had a pressure drop, now I don't have to. I decided not to add refrigerant at this time since my car won't be on the road for at least a year. I'll have it serviced at a local shop here when it's on the road. I was able to check out my A/C wiring though that I just completed yesterday. The trinary (pressure switch) wasn't going to feed power to the compressor because the system isn't charged, therefore no pressure, but I hooked up a test light to the feed wire for the trinary switch and got a light when the engine started up. I'll call that good enough for now..I'm not concerned with the compressor or the wiring in between it and the switch. I also got the rest of my dash lights working....the leds on the window switches and the A/C switch.

canadian_ranchero

rich,you retired guys have a lot more time to work on your projects than us working folks[just giving you a hard time]happy you are nearing the end of your project

RICH MUISE

Now if I could just spend the time I've got actually working that would be something. Heck, I've got to spend the mornings jawing with the guys about all the work we've got to do, come home, fix lunch, take a nap, then go get as much done as posible before I gotta come back in and fix dinner before the wife gets home. Retired life ain't all that easy.
LOL..that and doing projects on retirement income is why it'll take me at least a year to get it on the road.
I found a pic of the e-brake cable bracket mod that I did. I guess I forgot to take a pic of after it was done, but it got welded up pretty much as you see it. This tipped the cable down just enough that it wasn't pulling the pivoting adjuster bar up into the 2 1/2" exhaust. I can get a pic of it installed.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-02-18 20:58
Retired life ain't all that easy.

Rich you are correct!  Seams like I got more done when I was working full time.....I know it is a tough cross to bear but I'm doing the best I can...:<)  Your routine sounds suspiciously like mine.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I did get an over-the-stove  microwave installed for my neice Friday. Sunday was mounting a tv on a wall mount so we could move furniture in our bedroom. forgot what I was doing...oh yeah, my '57...... I got the radio wired up with the same radio shack connectors I used for the gages. Had the wires on both the back speakers backwards, and even though I was told they still should work, I found out the particular speakers I'm using back there will not work if power doesn't go to +, and the "+" wasn't marked as such. I was getting to the point I thought I had a bad radio. The Kickers I have for the front will work either way.
The Marine radio I installed is really cool...local weather conditions 24-7 at the push of a button. Also has bluetooth, a must for me with my bad hearing, and our local "no cellphone" driving law.

RICH MUISE

Not to much exciting going on here lately. I've been spending my time getting odds and ends taken care of. I finished up the radio speaker pods for the front and now have 4 speakers..cool. Really make the bluetooth come thru loud and clear. I also got the 12v power sorce wired up..that was the last of the under dash wiring. Mostly I've been trying to get the wiring under the dash cleaned up a bit..Got the passenger side done as far as I can until I need to go back in and redo the coil wiring when I have the money to finish the cop conversion. $ are gonna be tight for a while, so it's a good time to finish up the projects that need mostly time. When I started the wiring I did a pretty good job of keeping everything neat, but somewhere along the way I started getting a little sloppy....or maybe it just seems that way with so many wires, anyway this old body just has a hard time spending long periods of time twisted around to get both arms up under the dash, so the "tidying up" has been a real chore. BUT I will get it done. 
Had I to do it over (and I may just do that), one thing I would change....When I bought the Ron  Francis chassis kit, I got a drop down panel that allows the panel to be pulled down from up under the dash. The wiring of course requires an additional loop in the all the wires to do that. That's where it get's really difficult to keep really neat. The panel itself is not really hard to access, so there really wasn't any need for the drop down panel. I may just shorten all those wires and eliminate the loop.

Raven Rider

Rich I know what you mean about twisting and getting under the dashboard the only way I can do it is by removing the front seat then it is clear sailing no problems at all.  Now go back to work on the 57.

RICH MUISE

Actually back to the 4.6 install stuff. I got the coil packs and plug wires removed, along with the oem brackets for both. The left side  large cast aluminum bracket for the coil pack and the PS reservoir was replaced with a much smaller steel bracket off the same 97 Continrntal that I pulled the valve covers from. The cop conversion harness I had got from a guy on a Mustang forum worked great...the engine fired right up and ran the same as before, so no issues there.I'm rerouting the coil wires back to the Televork panel, so I can finally get the remaining wires wrapped and finished up in the engine compartment and under dash areas.
First pic is the "before"

Raven Rider

I sure like the way your engine looks but I don't think I would like to go thru so much work to install one.  I have decided to put in a 5.0 FI engine with an AODE transmission or maybe a Tremic 6 speed.  I know I can put the 5.0 in a lot easier (2-3 days)  than I could put in the 4.6.  I don't want the car to be down for the whole winter because it is just too fun to drive.  It is too hot to perform an engine swap in the summer.

RICH MUISE

Got the engine bay / wiring cleaned up.

RICH MUISE

Ok...most of the build stuff lately hasn't been 4.6 installation related, so it's all gone on my build update thread.
I did get some 4.6 related stuff done though, so I'll add that here. I got my differential modified and rebuilt. I added trac-loc, 31 spline axles, new 3.50 gears, had the case narrowed 3/4 per side, and big bearing old style ends put on. I also had the shop change the oem yoke to a tall yoke adding an inch to the height. This got the spline engagement of the Mark VIII driveshaft exactly where it needed to be. So...the Custom wheelbase cars with a taller yoke can use an unmodified aluminum Mark Viii driveshaft.
I have been driving the car around town a bit, but still alot of things to finish, and too early to give a fair report.

Frankenstein57

Rich, your project really looks first class, Very nice. I love the colors under the hood. I'd love to be standing nearby when some old boy says "was it hard to put that engine in there?"    Mark

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Mark. I'm happy with it...now if I could just get the steering/suspension issues resolved so I can go on to getting other stuff finished up and then see if I can get rid of the engine codes it's throwing so it's not running in a back up mode, etc etc, lol.