News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Sender for 57 Wagons & Ranchero's

Started by briney, 2006-12-17 11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

briney

My fuel gage likes to go on strike now and then. I had cleaned and sealed the tank about 2 ½ years ago and at that time I looked for a replacement sender with no luck. I know the only real difference in the passenger car sender and the ranchero / wagon sender is the arm.

My question is does anyone know if the Warner unit that Dennis Carpenter sells will work?  His part number is B7A-9275-F. If his unit doesn't work does anyone know if anyone else is producing these units yet?  It seems stupid that Bob Drake started reproducing tanks but not senders. That's about as smart a submarine with a screen door.  :bs: Very frustrating!!!

And yes I also know you could bend the arm on the passenger sender and make it work, sort of... And yes I have tried to adapt the old arm onto a passenger sender with not much luck either. I'm not really interested in looking for a 50 year old used one that will more than likely be as flaky as my current one...

I'm done with my rant now. Sorry!

Anybody have any other ideas, or knows if the part I mentioned works I would really appreciate the feedback.

Patrick
Dallas TX

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

RAWms

Brinely.
Looks like I'm in the same boat regarding the fuel sending unit.  I thought I had mine cleaned and working but no dice.  I will take another look tomorrow but I think I need a replacement.  Now, where do we get one.   r

btw, I have some picts coming to you regarding cutting the bed floor.
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

FORDNUT

I could not find a single person making one for my wagon. I was very lucky and found one in Dennis Carpenter's new old stock. I think it has to be a -g sender. He is always getting new stuff in so I would stay in touch. I agree someone should  start re-popping as there are a bunch of us out here that need them. Does anyone think one of the adjust-to-fit senders from the gage mfgs might work? I had one around but can't locate it to experiment.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

Hoosier Hurricane

I'm sure you guys all realize that the sender has to have a good ground.  Not only to the tank itself, but the tank has to be grounded to the chassis.  I only mention this because sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious.  I usually run a ground wire from the sender to the frame, just to be sure.

Ford used the same resistance range for several years, maybe something from a '60s or '70s car could be used.  My Ranchero doesn't have the stock tank anymore, so I don't have this issue.  I have a modified '80s T-Bird tank and sender, it works fine with the stock '67 gauge.

John

RAWms

John,
You nailed it!

While in the final stages of wiring last night, I was working the fuel guage and sender.  I was sure I bench tested the sender before re-installing with a digital Ohm meter.   Also, I knew I tested the gauge with a 9v battery when building the gauge panel. 

I had 12 volts feeding the regulator.  The digital volt meter did not react fast enough to see the "average" 5 volts per the Shop Manual but the meter did recognize the "pulsing" of the regulator.

I realized this morning I was holding the sender in my hand; No ground.   Connected a ground and ran the sender and gauge full span.  All is well.  The tank since boiled and sealed now needs a ground. 

Thx, r

P.S. 57 Ford Kustom and Shopratwoody,

The original regulator does work.  My testing of it was faulty and I did not account for "average" as called out in the Shop Manual.   It is repeated but I just did not comprehend what the manual was telling me.     :dumbass:  So I will not be using those chinese voltage regulators.  The regulator does add a little weight though.   r

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

Roger  :006:
       The chinese voltage reg. may weigh less but you are one more step to be a all American car again now if you get rid the the scrub stop lite switch  :003: :005: :deadhorse:

T:walk:M    :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

shopratwoody

Roger,
I'm proud of you and your USA reg and sending unit. At least using a 50 yr old tried and proven part
you should be good to go and won't have to replace as in Chinese parts.
NOW FIRE THAT THING UP. btw, where" a picture with the front end on?
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

Man you guys are tough.  Just think, I have a USA regulator, brake lights, and my very own eccentric bolt.  It does not get any better.     :burnout:

Planning to light it off tomorrow.  The front clip only has the aprons and radiator support in place.  Afterwards the radiator needs to go back to the shop to move the top hose connection to the driver side or...; The AC compressor is nose to nose to it.  Also, the compressor bracket needs to be modified if I want the hood to close.  Painting the fenders and hood will start back up though so it is coming together.  Finished the wiring except the front lights last night and buttoned up the dash.

r

...as of Apr 2007

dmraymond

I just saw sending units on e bay.on parts and excesserys

RAWms

Patrick,

When you started this thread you said:
"And yes I also know you could bend the arm on the passenger sender and make it work, sort of..."

What does sort of mean?  Looks like I need a sender unit after after all and they are not repopping the units for Rancheros that I can find.

thx, r

...as of Apr 2007