News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FPA Headers

Started by JimNolan, 2013-04-07 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

As some of you know I bought a set of headers for my 57 Fairlane running an FE engine. I finally got a chance to install them. I had to trim about an 1/8" off the passenger side A-Arm metal at the rear. That was no big deal. You also have a lot of distance from the starter so the starter stays cooler. The drivers side fit perfect around the power steering box and A-Arm. The collector required I trim my Lakewood bell housing flange about 1/2" to make room for the exhaust pipe. You don't even have to trim into the bolt holes of the Bell housing. If you use a Quick Time Bell housing you won't even have that problem.
Stan Johnson has done a fantastic job making headers for the 57 Fairlane with FE engines. I'll probably never build another car but I thought I'd let people know he's the best. I've seen some real hack jobs in my time when it comes to 57's and headers. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

rmk57

I've heard great reviews from the Boss 429 forum about the build quality, fitment, etc. There a little pricey but like most things you get what you pay for. Are they a tri-y, semi shorty style header like the Boss ones?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

They have four individual 1 3/4" tubes running into a 3" connector. I think it's 3". Anyway, both collectors are at the bell housing when they exit. Another 6" tagged on them and you'd call them full length. They are a nice set of headers for the 57. Jim

rmk57

I'm going to keep them in mind when my Crites headers get flattened from the speed bumps that are popping up everywhere in our neighborhood.  I have about 3.5 inches with a pretty tall front tire.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

SPEED BUMPS!!!!!!!  Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!  Any association that votes to take a perfectly smooth street and make bumps in it should be liable for the damages.  Pass a millage to rebuild the street and make it smooth.  Pass another millage to make it rough again.

Jeff Norwell

Jim.. do you have any shots of the headers before you installed in your Fairlane?
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JimNolan

Here's some pictures.

Jeff Norwell

Those are VERY nice Jim...
Question on Installation.... must they be mounted from under the car or can be attached from an open hood and above?

JimNolan

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-04-16 16:34
Those are VERY nice Jim...
Question on Installation.... must they be mounted from under the car or can be attached from an open hood and above?

Jeff,
   I would say neither. I had to put mine on attached to the motor when I installed the motor. I had tried in vein to put them on with the motor in before and couldn't do it. They can be taken loose to put on a new gasket maybe but that's all. Jim

wildhog

Jeff, I have the same F.P.A. headers on my G.T. motor ,plus I have a x frame convert. That makes it a little bit tighter.
I installed the headers with the engine in the car and on jack stands in the garage, but I am running a C-6, so that might make it easier. There are a certain few words you have to say to make it fit and they might not be legal in Canada. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Jim and WildHog...... Seems like the FPA's are the ticket.I was planning on having the entire front end off when it came to installing the engine and tranny.(all front sheet metal)
thanks agin fellas.
Yes Tom... some words up here are highly illegal and can get you put on Maple sugar duty for years..... ha ha ha.....Thanks Tom!