News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mid-nineties driveshaft/differential bolts??

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-04-08 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Does anyone have any idea what the bolt heads are that hold the driveshaft on to the differential on the '93 Markviii I'm disassembling? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but nothing I've tried fits the boltheads correctly. I though when I first looked at then they were the E-Tork, but they have too many lobes. With this car I'm not even sure if they are metric or sae, but I've tried 12 point sockets in both, and the only ones that will go on slip way before enough torque is supplied. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of dropping the Gas tank out of it so I can get under there with my cut off tool and not worry about blowing myself up. (the universal is right next to the gas tank)
The '93 Mark viii I'm scrapping is the only year that had a one piece aluminum driveshft, so I'm really wanting to get it out before I get rid of it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lowrider

I've always used a Snap-on 12 point 3/8dr. 12mm flex socket. Seems you have to have a good/new socket or it will round it off. Maybe you could try heating it a bit first.

RICH MUISE

Thanks...maybe I just need a better socket. I don't have a torch, so can't heat.
Next question...what's a "flex" socket?

Ford Blue blood

Rich a "flex" socket has a "U-joint" built into it.  A 12 point metric is what you are looking for, I think 12MM is correct, been too long and old timers...you know that drill....I have used my impact and a 10" extension with great success.  Those bolts had lock tight or something like it on them from the factory.

On the impact thing...I have over the years (55 of them) never used air tools.  Bought the set that Lowes carries (1/2" impact and 3/8" ratchet) and still have problems remebering to get them out when doing stuff.  I know you have air so go get the set, or one like it, and have fun!

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I got her out.....since the car was headed for scrap anyway, I used my sawzall and cut one ear off the differential side of the ujoint.
On the air tools..I don't have any impacts, etc...but been thinking about them..anything to make an old man's life easier with loss of arm strength. I'll check out those Lowe's ones. Thanks for the tips.
By the way, this Mark viii is headed for the scrap yard, not the salvge (parts) yard. The scrap yard here in town pays 200. a ton for salvage cars with title. That was a surprise to me..although I knew scrap rates were going up, I didn't think an old big car would bring close to 500. As much as I pulled off this thing, it's still got to weigh  1 1/2 tons. (was 4951 lbs complete)

Frankenstein57

Rich, scrap has been pretty good for awhile now. My brother has had a salvage license and a flat bed for a long time. His son lives in Northern Wisconsin and brings down 3 or 4 cars at a time. Wasn't always like this, lot's of lean years.  Mark