News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 Mod MOtor Installed in 57 Country Sedan at 2013 Knott's Show

Started by 57AGIN, 2013-04-29 16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Guys:

The installation of a 4.6 Modular Motor in our 57's has been a popular thread for some time now.  Here are some photos of one parked near Rick and me at the Knott's Show this year.  He didn't have any of the usual wiring problems, as he has no computers to worry about with his carbureted mod motor.  He does have an MSD box installed (passenger side of engine compartment), but I'm not sure how it works without a distributor.  Anyway interesting approach.  To see other photos of this car look in the Events thread.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Bob, thanks for posting that..very interesting. Not a real pretty intake manifold, but definetly a more traditional look. I'm not sure what the advantage of taking an efi motor and making it more conventional would be...why not just use a conventional motor? One thing I noticed in this pic is the room he has up front due to the fact that without having the efi intake on it, the motor can be moved back at least a few inches. At least on the Mark viii versions, the stock intake is 3 1/2 inches further back than the plane of the bellhousing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

That's hot rodding!  Sometimes it is about being SO practical and basic...an engine that runs, a body that doesn't.  And then there are the times when there is absolutely NO rhyme or reason.  Sometimes it's about 'cause I could.  In the words of Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, "If I got to explain it, you still won't understand!".  But I think you do.

RICH MUISE

I sure understand the "because I can" thing..especially trying to keep it more traditional looking,and avoid the electronics. Heck, it would almost be hamb friendly in that configuration.

gasman826

There was all this talkity talkity about installing 4.6 in '57s with a bunch of questions.  I was waiting to show a client a building and wandered into a magazine shop and was looking at car mags to kill time.  Car Craft has a special edition on installation of modern engines in old cars.  There is a section on modular install into older cars.  Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!  After you wade through the Hemi and LS sections there it is....Ford modular 4.6 into....wait...wait...you guested it -- older cars.  I didn't read it because I am NOT installing a modular in a old car and it is unethical to read the magazine and not buy it!  But I did think of you guys messing with this type of install and thought to pass it on.  On the news stands now!

RICH MUISE