News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Box

Started by 05gt, 2013-06-07 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Looking for a 58 or 59 manual steering box, or possibly a 57 in good shape. Looking for one that does NOT need to be rebuilt, although I don't mind cleaning it up.

Ford Blue blood

Full size Ford boxes through and including 1964 bolt in.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Any other modifications needed except for the horn wire? Can you use the 57' column?

Ford Blue blood

Yes modifications to the column are required.  The 61, 2, 3, and 4 use a rag joint.  Bolt in is with respect to the box and pitman arm.  Geometry is identical and the pitman arm accepts the manual steering tie rod end.

If you want power give serious consideration to the Borgeson box/kit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Thanks for the info. Opens up more possibilities!

BBoswell

This is a reply to a very old post and this may be a stupid question, but full size ford boxes refer to full size "CAR" steering boxes?

RICH MUISE

Nor sure what you're asking here. Full size means any Fairlane series, and any custom series including Rancheros, Couriers, wagons. I think the diference here relating to "full size"car, means not Thunderbirds or obviously pickup trucks. As noted, the Rancheros are part of the car series, not the truck series.
The interesting thing here with reference to the "full size" designation, is that Ford actually had two different sized "full size" in '57....(but up front they all used the same components).
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BBoswell

I'm going with the 1964 Galaxy manual steering box. Next question is do you use the 57 pitman arm on the 64 box?

JPotter57

Nope, splines are different  on the shaft.  Use the 63 64 pitman, it bolts right up as long as it is manual steering.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

BBoswell

Mucho thanks guys. I'll find one of those and hopefully I'll be good to go.