News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

emergency brake cable

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-06-09 11:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

If someone just happens to be looking under their '57, could you let me know how much the oem emergency brake cable clears the underside of the transmision crossmember by. I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lowrider

The front cable from the hand lever goes into a bracket welded onto the crossmember. The cable on mine runs over the top of the crossmember about an inch into the bracket.

RICH MUISE

Cable over the crossmember.....That works great for me thanks. I was adding a gusset to the bottom of my crossmember after notching/rework, and I was afraid it would interfere with the brake cable...but running over the crossmember eliminates that worry. Thanks.

Ford Blue blood

Rich the circled bracket is the mount for the cable coming from the cab.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Yeah, after Lowrider posted that I thought ...of course , the bracket is on top. Overlooking the obvious. I worry about me sometimes....LOL (or not) and that worry seems to be occurring more frequently lately.

RICH MUISE

Got the handbrake assembly completed. I'll post some pics here so it's easier to find than the first pics I posted. The pic in the next window shows the adjusting rod that came in from Dennis Carpenter...it's too short and the way the and is formed won't allow it to sit correctly in the bracket. I straightened and cleaned up my old one. The cable that came from DC looks great. Not stainless, but all I could find. These pics should show good detail of components in case someone is trying to get theirs back together.

RICH MUISE

the wrong adjusting rod: The oem one is in the assembly.

RICH MUISE

Also, Gasman had mentioned a hand brake cover...this is it. I found it when I was trying to figure out to mount the cable to the firewall. Turns out I was missing the special u-bracket that grabs the groove in the fitting. I luckily found it, got it cleaned up and installed.

RICH MUISE

My version of a pulley cover. Actually it's a hole-in-the-carpet-cover. Chicken wire, fleece, rubber spray,ugly ass paint color I was trying to use up(will be redone). I clipped and formed the chicken wire so the top could be opened and closed around the tube on the brake assy...doesn't need a clip.

57AGIN

Rich:

Very creative.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

gasman826

What was Henry thinking!  A paper mache pulley cover to keep size 13 shoes out of the works.  Great place to practice some steel fab skills and glue carpet to it.

RICH MUISE

Forgot to post this a few weeks ago...after a search, I found two pieces of mounting hardware for the cable assembly that worked perfectly. First, a 5/16 x 1" stainless clevis pin, and some stainless cotter pins (didn't know they made them in stainless). It was needed for mounting the bracket to the oem crossmember. The second item was a 3/8 "clinchable retaining clip" for attaching the e brake cable to the bracket on the crossmember. All the hairpin clips, e clips, etc. I tried before this were too big, or too small, too loose, etc. This clip was exact thickness of groove in the cable fitting, so no slop. It is "H" shaped, with one end of the H having a 3/8 oval. Once it is in place, you clinch the legs together with piers so it doesn't come off. I didn't try it, but the two straight legs look like it could be squeezed to reopen the closed end. I had never seen these clips before...neat.
I found the hardware at home depot in the metal drawer units with the nuts and bolts.

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-17 06:25
3/8 "clinchable retaining clip"...... It is "H" shaped, with one end of the H having a 3/8 oval. Once it is in place, you clinch the legs together with piers so it doesn't come off. I didn't try it, but the two straight legs look like it could be squeezed to reopen the closed end. I had never seen these clips before...neat.
Right.  So where is the pic?               

RICH MUISE

Shoulda known that was coming. I'll get a pic tommorrow, and a part number.
Home Depot carries these in a dozen sizes, this being the largest.
Here you is...