News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Explorer rear disc brake swap

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2013-07-07 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

I've read through all the posts about doing this swap and it seemed like a great idea to me. So I scrounged through the local pull a part and grabbed an explorer disc setup. I did all the slotting and such to get the brackets and backing plates to line up correctly, replaced the axle flange hardware and so on. I finally got all the new shoes and pads and hardware plus some new axle seals and bearings and went to assemble this thing tonite, and I am having issues. The spring system for the parking brake shoe setup seems to be major overkill in my opinion but I want a parking brake so I'm sticking with it. My question is how in the heck do you assemble these things?? I have them assembled on the backing plates and ready to go on the housing, but with them installed that way there is no rooms for a socket to tighten down the axle nuts around the brake hardware. And trying to install the shoes and hardware after the axle installed seems to be impossible. The outside diameter of my axle flange is equal to the outside diameter of the shoes with very little room between the flange and the shoe to do anything let alone try and install this absurd spring system. If anyone has any input on this it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.  Jim

Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

gasman826

Axle bearing spacers???  Putting on the backer plate nuts is a challenge to ones patience.

CableguyJJS3

This whole process has been a challenge to my patience. The only easy part so far was slotting the holes and fitting everything to the axle housing. Getting everything straight and lined up then hunting down some new parts and all that wasn't terrible but no fun regardless. Not to mention finding someone with the ability to instal new axle bearings, that was a great load of fun. But if I have to assemble this drum with the axles in, I fear I will end up bending everything after I get so frustrated I bash the crap out of it with a sledge hammer. But sitting and thinking about it all day today, I'm not seeing any way around it, I'm only seeing assemble the drum after the axle is in.

hiball3985

I may be misunderstanding what the problem is, but can't you tighten the retaining bolts through the access hole in the axle?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CableguyJJS3

There is a hole in the axle flange but no room to squeeze a socket between the shoe and onto the axle flange nuts. Where the shoe rides on the backing plate and where the axle hardware comes through the backing plate its real tight against the shoe. It will get on and tighten down just need to get a socket on there. Thinking some more, I think I can grind some clearence into the shoe and not hurt anything, at least enough to get a socket on the nut and tighten it down. Wish I had thought of that last nite hahaha.

RICH MUISE

Sometimes it's just best to walk away from it for a short while..or a long while. Can't tell you how many times I've woken up in the morning with a solution, or figured something out while I was taking a long drive.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I'm not familiar with this set up but looking at the picture it looks like only two bolts would be a problem?  It looks like you could expand the adjuster to move the shoes out, I'm not sure if you have access to the adjuster after it is installed to close it back down. Just a thought

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Will a "crow's foot" work? 

gasman826

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-07-08 06:36
Axle bearing spacers???  Putting on the backer plate nuts is a challenge to ones patience.
Let me restate this previous post, axle bearing spacer is a requirement not a question.  Did you install alxe bearing spacers?

It sounds like you have the rest figured out.

It is a frustating upgrade but you will be very pleased with the braking performance and parking brake. 

CableguyJJS3

In that case then no I have no axle bearing spacers. I wasn't aware I needed anything. I have the new bearings pressed on the axles and that has a retaing ring on top of that, but after that no nothing else that could be called a spacer. Are you saying I need to space the axle flange out away from the backing plate assembly??

gasman826

Mine do.  I've read about them in the install articles.  Check with the axle sites...Strange, Mossier, Currie... 

Since you are so close with installation, slide the rotor on and see if it bottoms out against the backing plate.

When I ordered my axles from Strange, the Explorer/SVO rear disc brake question was asked and axle bearings were provided with the axles with instructions to install the spacers.

RICH MUISE

A related question...can the oem emergency brake handle function with the explored disc/parking brake mod? At least the front cable back to the oem cable bracket that attaches to the tranny crossmember? I would guess that new cables from that bracket rearward would have to be fabricated with the correct connectors and lengths.

CableguyJJS3

I looked on the Currie website and found the spacers. I also did some more reading here and there and found the mention of the spacers. I have had the rotor on and it does drag on the backing plate a litte. I had just chalked it up to things not being bolted down entirely and the backing plate being bent some. I will check the other side as that backing plate is perfectly straight and see if I have the same issues. But at $27 the spacers won't break the bank.

And Rich, you can use the stock ebrake stuff, just need to get the back cables with the correct end. Currie sells a kit for this. I haven't got that far with my build yet so I havent fully investigated everything in regards to ebrake. When I have more answers I will post them up.

gasman826

Parking brake?  I have nothing OEM but still have the original parking brake handle and main, forward cable and linkage.

RICH MUISE

Great..thanks for the info. I need a new front cable and didn't want to order one until I confirmed I could actually use it.
Does anyone have a souce for stainless front parking brake cables? Inline tube makes them for many Fords, but not ours. I can get oem steel cables from Dennis Carpenter.
One odd thing I noticed in the DC catalog...rear cables they list as fitting all except conv. and retracs. Why would they be different, and how is it the same rear cables can be used on Fairlane hardtops and Customs, etc.? Wouldn't you think the rear cables would be differentiated by short or long wheelbases?