News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 Speed Transmission

Started by 4banger, 2013-07-16 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

4banger

I am selling my 4 speed top loader transmission. Included : Hurst shifter, used flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, 11 1/2" set up. In good condition. $ 1200. or make a offer. Plus shipping

4banger

I checked the serial tag on the 4 speed. It came out of a 1965 AC Cobra 427 close ratio HEH-CC tag ID  1 1/16, 10 spline input shaft.

JPotter57

According to David Kee, toploader expert extroidanaire, your toploader is from a 390 Galaxie....

HEH-CC   1965/66   Galaxie   390   wide ratio   28-spline output     10 spline input

Not trying to bust your chops or wreck your sale, just want to make sure accurate info is presented.

Complete chart at http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/idchart1.htm

Your price is fair, cosidering everything that is included...Good luck.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

The wide ratio transfer is actually a better choice for most cars anyway, so it would be more usable to most.  When I rebuilt the 69 mach1 top loader, I bought everything from David Kee to convert it from the close ratio to the more desirable wide ratio.  I also opted for the extra low first gear option he had.  Make the car way easier to drive around town with the low first.   Ford offered the close ratio in the big motor cars as they closer gear spacing is tougher to break and it cut down on warentee claims, not because necessarially because of a performance advantage.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

4banger

My info is just as accurate as yours. I got mine off the internet as you did. Just go to WWW.5speeds.com scroll down on the left side and hit 4 speed top loader. Put my serial # HEH-CC in the locater and you will see I do not bust chops. If you would like, take my for sale ad off.

gasman826

Interesting that more than one source for HEH-CC goes wide ratio Galaxie and more than one source lists Cobra close ratio. 

I have found HEH code documentation to not be as consistant as RUG decoding information.  I have never found a big input that was not close ratio.  for whatever that's worth.

Pull the cover and confirm the ratio.  Great transmission whether from a Galaxie or Cobra!!!!!

4banger

Ford 4 speed top loader with Hurst shifter. 10 spline 1 1/16 th input shaft. $ 875.00 plus shipping USA only. E-Mail @ smokin57joe@aol.com

SkylinerRon

All 427 Cobras came with a 1 3/8" input, 2.32 first.
If the tailhousing is longer than 24" it's not a Cobra.

Ron.