News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 3V

Started by Boss/Cyclone, 2013-09-03 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss/Cyclone

Finally living in Michigan pays off.  I have a few friends that work at Roush and I may be getting a 4.6 3V motor, trans and all the accesories.  The tranny is a 5R55S 5 speed automatic and the motor is a supercharged 4.6 3V.  Comes with computer, harness, fuel pump and all the accesories on the motor.  This was a emmisions test mule for the Roush stage 3 Mustangs.  Spent most of its life on the dyno and testing.  I have bought other test parts from Roush in the past and they have always performed well and lasted long.  I will go later this week to finalize everything and then if everything works out, start putting it in my 57 ranch wagon.  This will be a slow moving project, I have 3 kids and they are all involved in sports.  Doesn't leave a lot of time for wrenching. 

57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

RICH MUISE

Love it!  Go for it. Hopefully within the next month I'll have my 4v 4.6 pulled and at least sitting in my Custom. We've got alot of 4.6 info posted here...should save you a bunch of time. This will be the first 3v that I know of. The smaller heads and the supercharger should give you a little more room to play with. What kind of mods does the engine have over stock Mustang? HP?
See if they'll throw in those Ford lift brackets. I went to my local Ford dealer with the bracket numbers hoping to order them, but they're not available. Any idea what those exhaust manifolds are?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Boss/Cyclone

Reading all the 4.6 swap threads gave me confidence that i could pull this off.  I have spent the last month reading ever post on these threads.  Great info.  The motor is the updated Stage 3 version around 450 hp at the flywheel. 
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

LOL...looking at the list of your car collection, I would have thought confidence to pull it off would have been the least of your problems. 450hp from 281 cubes...wow. Definetly not old school. With all of the 4.6's Roush must have used...wonder if they have any lift brackets laying around they'd want to sell? I don't know if the 3v brackets would work for the 4v. Looked at making some from angle iron and other stuff. Came up with a setup that'll work after the engine is pulled, but not enough room in the car for the back right one...got to be those formed brackets, or it's back to the strap sling. I was trying to get this engine out thru the top...maybe I'll just drop the clip again.

Boss/Cyclone

I am going to try to get the lift brackets.  I'll ask about getting another set.
57 Ford two door wagon

gasman826

I made a cross bar from 30" of 2" square tubing to span beyond the valve covers and dropped chains down to plates bolted to the heads where the headers attach...much like the factory plates from the '70s.  I can pull the engine complete without damage to throttle bodies or valve covers.

Boss/Cyclone

You hook a chain to the bar and it does not hit the valve covers?   Also, I want those brakes.  I'll give you a call and set up a time to meet. 
57 Ford two door wagon

gasman826

I knew I should have just taken a picture!  I'll mock one up soon and post it.

Boss/Cyclone

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-09-04 20:38
I knew I should have just taken a picture!  I'll mock one up soon and post it.

I reread your post, I get it now.  I was looking for the bar in the engine picture above. 
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

I only have 1" between the valve cover and strut tower on the Mviii on the right, making it really hard for anything but the formed sheetmetal brackets to work. Don't matter...I'm gonna be dropping the engine out of the Lincoln today, once I roll out the clip, I can attach what I made to the lift points for handling. If I can find some Ford brackets, I'll grab on to them just in case I need to remove the engine from the '57 after the sheetmetal is on. I had noticed on brackets for other cars on ebay, the attach points were the header mounting bolts. The 4.6's had dedicated mounting holes for the lift brackets.

Frankenstein57

That's a sweet looking power train, wish it was in my car

Boss/Cyclone

Deals done, drivetrain is at my house.   The good news is the tech at Roush removed the passive anti-theft stuff from the computer.  He gave me some diagrams and the complete harness.  Told me what to do to wire it up.  The bad news is they would not let me take the lift hooks.  They said they are property of Roush and not for sale to anyone.  >:(

Picture of computer and the note written on it by the Roush tech.
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

awesome. Glad to hear about the pats deletion. Sounds like maybe that computer setup was simplified. It'll be interesting to find out about the differences in the 3v install compared to the 4v. Probably not too many, but you should have more room with yours...maybe even a normal brake booster.
Rich

Boss/Cyclone

Quick question on motor mounts.  I think I read 1996-2004 Mustang ones work.  Is that the best ones to use?  I'm going to try to use the Mustang exhaust manifolds.  I'll let everyone know if they fit.  Local u-pull it has a couple late 90's continentals with 4.6's in them.  Going to go try to grab an oil pan next week. 

57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

Just going from memory, but the Mustang mounts I think are 99-01. maybe more years, but if you order that year range, they'll work. Everybody carries them..auto zones, rock auto, Jegs has some urethane options..80.ish, which I didn't order. Mine were like 22 bucks. Heads up...the left and right are not the same, so be careful when you slot the '57 crossmember for them. When you get them, hold them together and you'll see the right hand one's stud is higher up than the left.
Make sure you get the oil pick up tube with the oil pan.
Those exaust manifolds may or may not work...it's real tight at the upper control arms. I have no idea which you'll need to look for. I believe the 4 valve dohc we've been talking about and using in our builds is stand-alone different from the others..3v (did they offer a 2v?). I'm guessing you'll need round ports, where the dohc is oval, but I don't know how there ouside shape compares.