News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 3V

Started by Boss/Cyclone, 2013-09-03 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Finally have all the software upgrades.  So I found spreader bar pictures for 460.

Spreader bar allows lifting the engine without disturbing the Webers or the valve covers.  Rectangle plate bolts to second and third (from the front) exhaust ports much like OEM factory install plates.  I made these plates to connect to more exhaust port bolts than the OEM plates (aluminum heads...may be overkill).  Two upper holes in the plates work like OEM.  Hook to the front holes if removing just the engine.  Use the back holes to install engine and transmission.

RICH MUISE

Nice setup. I should have bought a longer leveling bar than what I did, but managed to get my engine in with the short HF one without damaging the valve covers. If there is a next time though, I'll get a longer one. I was just being too cheap to spend the bucks.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Boss/Cyclone

That is longer than the bar I have.  I still have to get an oil pan before I can set the engine in.  I got the motor mounts last week.
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

Boss/Cyclone

Got a chance to work on the wagon today.   Put on Canton oil pan and dropped the engine/tranny in today to check out everything.   Fits a little tight on around where the exhaust manifolds go.   I may try a set of 06-10 Explorer manifolds.   Motor mounts dropped right into place.

Motor mounts
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

Glad to hear your finally back on it. Thanks for the pics...that's going to be an awesome ride with 450HP!!!!!!!!.

Boss/Cyclone

I'm gonna pull it back out to finish firewall work and brake lines.   Still mocking up and trying to figure everything out around my 3 kids sports schedules.
57 Ford two door wagon

gasman826

Good to see something getting done!!!!

PATS means that 4.6 is newer than '97?  So, that's coil-on-plug (COP)?  Are you illuminating EGR or anything else?  Are you thinking of using the OEM harness or something like the Ron Francis harness?

Pictures make the head to upper control arm clearance really close.  Shorty headers or shave the upper control arm mounts? 

Since your last visit, I snagged a low mileage '96 4.6 Cobra and 5 speed.  Not working real serious on it yet but would like to at least get in set into the frame of '41 Ford Business Coupe.  So I've already run into the engine lift bracket issues.  I've read some on the Ron Francis harness, convert to COP, eliminate EGR and two of the O2 sensors.

Boss/Cyclone

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-02-21 16:49
Good to see something getting done!!!!

PATS means that 4.6 is newer than '97?  So, that's coil-on-plug (COP)?  Are you illuminating EGR or anything else?  Are you thinking of using the OEM harness or something like the Ron Francis harness?

Pictures make the head to upper control arm clearance really close.  Shorty headers or shave the upper control arm mounts? 

Since your last visit, I snagged a low mileage '96 4.6 Cobra and 5 speed.  Not working real serious on it yet but would like to at least get in set into the frame of '41 Ford Business Coupe.  So I've already run into the engine lift bracket issues.  I've read some on the Ron Francis harness, convert to COP, eliminate EGR and two of the O2 sensors.

I am going to use the stock harness, at least that's the plan.   I may modify the upper control arm mount like yours, first I am going to try 06-10 Explorer 4.6 3v exhaust manifolds.  They hug the block and may work.  Love the look of your 41, that 96 cobra drivetrain should move that thing down the road.
57 Ford two door wagon

JPotter57

Gary, 4.6 3v is 2005 -2011, after that, they used the coyote 5.0.  The 3V made killer power, I just didnt like those 2 inch long spark plug electrodes that tended to seize and break off in the head.  Had two of those happen during my time at the Ford dealership.  Not a fun repair.  One, was able to use the Ford took to extract the piece, the other, the heads had to come off.  Cool series, I'll be watching this.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Is the '96 a 3v? When did they go to 4v in the Cobras? My Exhaust manifolds are off a '01 Cobra 4v. I know 4v manifolds are different from a 2v sohc, but I don't know if the 3 valve exh. manifold matches one of those or is a 3rd design/fit.

lalessi1

Rich, according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

The 4V was introduced in the Lincoln Mark VIII in '93 and in '96 the SVT Cobras had the engine.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Yes, I found the same info yesterday on the 96 SVT Cobras. What I didn't know is if all '96 Cobras are SVT Cobras.