News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 swap

Started by whisper38, 2013-09-21 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

took a driveshaft from a LTD had it reworked,to fit,now the driveshaft is hitting the tunnel,guess I'm going to have to have the transmission mount that was made shorten down,or cut a small opening in the tunnel,so it doesn't hit.

lowrider

Quote from: whisper38 on 2013-12-14 05:34
took a driveshaft from a LTD had it reworked,to fit,now the driveshaft is hitting the tunnel,guess I'm going to have to have the transmission mount that was made shorten down,or cut a small opening in the tunnel,so it doesn't hit.

Ran into the same problem when I installed a T5 in mine. I was able to just cut about a 1/4in of the metal part & reweld it to lower it enough to fit. Still close but it doesn't hit the tunnel.

Frankenstein57

I had posed this question to a few that were running this combo, my 351/T-5 hit badly in the tunnel area, I'm running fox mustang mounts. the cross member for the trans is a fabbed up deal, we tried to keep the engine fairly level. I think I need to carve up most of the tunnel to clear

whisper38

Well I went to garage today told them to cut the tunnel,I have a new tunnel sheet metal I can put back,once I get the ranchero back, I'm going to go get a 1988 mustang transmission mount and try it.These guys have had my car for over three months,and its been a nightmare with them,to get them to do anything.Never again with these guys.Never get anyone in N.C. to work on your baby.

whisper38

Well had to ranchero delivered today,had to let it sit and idle for a little while until the automatic choke opened up,to get it to idle down,after only five minutes or so,raidorater boiled over,not sure whats going on there.I'll look at it in the morning. :deadhorse:

robhaerr

Quote from: whisper38 on 2013-10-09 18:24
well delays on getting the engine here,next quesrion,what type of headers will fit without having to beat the heck out of them.

For dependability and no exhaust leaks I went with the Hi-Po 289 cast iron headers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrm405AMg0

Fit perfect in my wagon with the 302...

SkylinerRon

You could get a FMX bell from a 302 and keep your old trans and shaft.
Probably easier and cheaper to rebuilt the 292, certainly more torque and driveability.
Goodluck,
Ron.

whisper38

Well the Ranchero home,with the 302 installed and running,still a few bugs that I will take care of myself.Have a C6 Transmission,shorty headers,Chrome altenator,Electronic distr.4 Barrel holley.to name a few.

RICH MUISE

Looking great...I'll bet getting it home finally put a smile on your face. I see you got your electric wipers also. Thanks for posting. Let us know how she drives after you get the bugs worked out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe