News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Don't ya just hate it when you sit down with your morning coffee, get on the forum, and there's NO new posts? I was thinking it would be great to have a "Morning Coffee...What's Up?" board just to sit down and chat with the guys about what's going on in their lives, what's up with their projects with no particular subject in mind, where the've been, where they're going, etc. etc. It would help seperate the car stuff from the bs stuff for the guys that just want the "just the facts, mame". same forum standards..no politics, religion,advertising, etc.
What'd ya think?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Got my coffee and doing the same so I'll add a little. Finished my new engine, build a hillbilly test stand to fire it up on. Ran it up to operating temp so I could re-torque the heads and adjust the valves hot before putting it in the car. It's now in the car waiting for one back ordered part. Other then that nothing new and exciting in my life.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

This one works for me.  Us old retired farts have the ability to visit the board.  While working (after the Navy) my schedule was such that I left the house at 6AM and got back around 5PM so.....spending time on this machine was not in the picture.  Besides, I didn't have a computer until 12 years ago!  Had to learn to use them while in the Navy, had to use one at work, didn't want one here but sucumbed to pressures from the wife.  Don't do face book, don't do tweets and don't do texting or sexing or any of the other ings....

I do have my coffee, don't smoke so that's not an issue with time on line.  Get up around 6 - 6:30, make coffee for me (hi-test) and the wife (de-caf), read the paper then hit this thing.  Come to the 57 board first, hit ebay, the HAMB classifieds and the Ford Barn.  Usually finish around 9 and hit the shop to tinker.

Have been working on putting the painted stuff together.  Have the Bird well underway.  Vinyl top is on, all the exterior trim is on.  Slight delay with that as I put a windshield stainless piece in a "safe" place and had to get another one as the original is still safe!  Next is the interior pieces to get ready for the head liner.

Have accomplished much the same with the Edsel.  Working on finishing the interior.  All the glass and trim is back on the car, still have to paint parts of it but all of that can be taken off to do the painting without bothering the rest of the car.  Intend on working on the interior today, would like to finish it up so the Bird can come into the shop for it's finish.  Need to finsh both so the 57 Ranchero can continue.  But that is down the road a day or two....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I'm a lot like Bill. I only got a computer about 12 years ago and am totally self taught, boy was that a learning curve the first few years  :003:. I don't do any of the face book or tweets or what ever they are called, have no apps, don't even have a cell phone. I get up at 4 am and if I don't the dog comes to remind  :005:.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

back from a few smokes...Jim: I wish I had the knowhow to rebuild an engine. I think..LOL quite honestly was something that never held a big interest for me. I can get into enough trouble without it. I can't even tune a car at all..carburetors are a big mystery to me.
Bill...yup, I sure like being retired. My daily schedule pretty much is whatever I feel like, or don't feel like, doing. Unless it's a house rebuilding project, that is. Kinda hard to take breaks from those once your into a project.
Right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern on the '57 waiting for some parts, and some more $ to come in. I guess I've got plenty to do if I wanted on stuff I already have materials for, or don't need materials. Some pita things I just procrastinate on getting to.
Went to a nice small car show in Oklahoma weekend before last. Needed a road trip, and found a show in Kingfisher, north of El Reno. It was the last one in this area for the season, at least that I'm aware of. Nice little show..150 or so cars, mostly top quality builds. Mostly drive in's, but a few trailer queens. There was a nice Ranchero there. Owner has had it since '75. Also a '58 retrac, looked to be a well kept daily driver. Anyway, it was nice getting out..250 miles each way, weather was great. On the way back I came a different way I hadn't been before, went thru some nice country.
Next Wednesday, while the wife is getting ready for the Thanksgiving crowd, I've got to drive to Abilene to pick up our grand-neice. I'm gonna go thru Knox City on my way down and visit with my friend I've talked about on the forum that has (or had?) over 70 '57 Fords. I think he's been weeding stuff out, not sure. Hard to get a straight answer. He's getting  up into his 80's, and has been a bit depressed with the health of his wife. I've hinted around to him before, that I'd like to see his entire collection, I think this time I'll just straight out ask.

RICH MUISE

same here on the Facebook and twit stuff. Gonna be a nice day today...already warmed up enough to get out to the garage for a bit. Later

Zapato

Everything outside is frosted over. Been doing home improvements for a few weeks need to kick it up a gear or two and get it done by turkey day. Looks more than doable. Going to texture walls around one new french door and then sneak off for lunch with a retired airline pilot buddy. Then later this afternoon new stove, microwave and dishwasher arrive. Pick up grand daughter from school etc...   Whoever said "retirement isn't for sissies"  was 100% spot on. looks like come spring Its my time to start on the 57. Looking forward to that been keeping involved in our hobby by helping a good friend (new to the hobby) build a 42 Ford truck. Life goes on and mine is really pretty great.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

LAUDY57

Got back from Phoenix the other day, nice and warm at the Pavillion cruise night (not one 57 there) neat things being done with LED lites at night (had to get some at Autozone and some detailer for the paint that's half price to here), my sway bars came yesterday but they have to wait for some house work, wood splitting, and prawning. Thinking about leaving the front springs in until I try the sway bars then deciding what to do (found out front brakes are Tbird), got some single stage paint for under the hood because it's shrinking and peeling in corners and watching a couple of places on the body where the paint is cracked (wondering if I should seal the cracks with something). Found out a car cover lets fibreglass dust through (from fixing up a small rowboat) -crap! -had to wash the cover and re-clean the car.
Tough job, EH?
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hiball3985

I love building engines, trans and suspension, been doing it since 14 years old. I hate body work, I can take a small dent and ruin a whole quarter panel trying to fix it :003:
Since retirement I have worked harder at home then I ever did at a job, hard to believe how many things need to be done. I'm the auto mechanic, carpenter, electrician, plumber, gardener, cook and help care for two 92 year old parents.. Not enough hours in the day any more.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Well, one of the downsides to putting a complete engine in your car...wiring and all..is trying to get it cleaned and detailed. I gunked it after I pulled it from the Mark to get the heavy stuff off, now I'm spending hours with cleaners, paint brushes, and rags, trying to get all the nooks and cranies. It's a good thing I like doing this stuff. Kinda hard getting an engine like mine to look good in it's stock configuration, but I just can't handle the dirt...gotta get it cleaned at least once. Gonna have to give some serious consideration to fabing some engine bay covers after I get the car assembled.
Cold front coming in tonight but it sure is a great fall day today.
Sounds like my retirement days aren't too unlike some of you guys. When I retired, my wife very nicely reduced my "honey-Do" list to just one item....rebuild the house. You'd think a small house would be easier. When I remodeled our Colorado house, we just used other areas of the house...can't do that in a small house.

4thgen57

Man, I don't wanna retire if I have to get up as early you guys! Up at 7, get the wife and kids out the door, have a half hour to myself before work at 8:30. Been finishing up on my Uncles 67 Goat, getting the house ready for turkey day and what not. Was talked into putting up Christmas lights last night. (dang kids)

RICH MUISE

LOL...yeah, we get up earlier than we use to, but we get to take naps.

hiball3985

Naps, my favorite part of the day. I run out of gas about 2pm every day and have to hit the couch for a recharge  :003:

I started rebuilding my small house 30 years ago and it's still not done  :003: It was just a one bedroom one bath on a 1/3 acre lot. My first carpentry experience was adding a 300 square foot bedroom doing it a few hours at a time after work each day. The city building inspectors loved me. The rest of the house was a real pain, it's all framed in redwood that is real dimensions, a 2x4 is 2" x 4", also parts were build with 2x3's. If I knew better and had the $$$ at the time I would have torn it down and started from scratch.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Women are born liars, we bought this house 7 years ago and my wife said it was perfect. been making it just a bit more "perfect" ever since. Oh well, she's the one that still goes off to work every morning while I snore away. Going on 36 years so its not time to start complaining.

Zap- :unitedstates:

and just for grins how many of your wives has had to have a perfectly good window removed just to have a garden window.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 Ford Kustom

Amen Zap! What is with the garden window anyways?! I had to put one in also! I don't know why, she said the cactus needed more sun. Well hello we live in Vermont! If God wanted us to grow cactus here they would grow here! With out the window! Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.