News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Well, after taking a lOOOng coffee break, I went out and starting pulling the ss trim and seal off the windshield. With a better light over my workbench, I could see that the seal was not damaged at all...it was the seal seperating from the sealant. Also, the seal is not hollow in that area...once again just the sealant. When I first saw it on the car, I pointed it out to my friend Tom and he was in full aggreement that the seal needed to be replaced. I guess two pair of old eyes aren't any better than one, LOL. I'm going to call first thing in the morning and see if I can cancel the new one I orderd from DC. At least I was taking the blame for what I thought was a problem.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

It was bothering me where I had gotten the information to put the sealant between the glass and the seal, so I went out and reread the original Ford instalation guide, and there it was. I just hadn't read far enough yesterday. I'm now thinking the difference is the windshield is installed before the sealant sets up so you can still move things around. Also I have no idea what type of sealant the 50 year old guide is referencing. The new sealant I had gotten is a butyl, which the glass guy says never really gets hard, so I'm not sure what to do now. I'm also concerned with the windshield I got years ago. It's an inch narrower on the height that the opening. Flange to flange, my car is at 17 at the center. The windshield is at 16. Does anyone know if this is correct?
update: I called the guys at AutoCityClassic even though that's not where I got the windshield. He is going to call his warehouse and have them measure their in stock windshields and call me back. Another example of their great customer service. I did get my back glass, gas tank, and radiator from them.

RICH MUISE

Well, aparently when I bought my windshield years ago, they sent me the wrong one. Auto City Classic called back and said the Custom windshields are 17-171/8, and the fairlanes are 16..which is what mine measures. Obviously too long to call and complain to the supplier. The good news is, Auto City Classic will be doing the Pate swap meet April 30, so I can get it delivered there no charge.

Ecode70D

Rich
     Now you have to find someone who is looking for a new Fairlane windshield.
Guenter
      Good thing that you just happened to pull your windshield today.  Now let me ask you this question.   With the way that you are working on your 57, how are you finding time to work on customer cars? 

hotroddonnie

I posted for sale a rear seal for a Fairlane. I bought all my seals and rubbers as a kit over 7 years ago and when it came time to install my glass I found out they sent me the wrong one. Problem is they are no longer in business and I have the seal in my basement collecting dust. My car is a Custom and they sent me one for a Fairlanel. Anyway its older and probably not made in China, if someone could use it for the cost of shipping and 20 bucks! It may or may not be a good deal. I have it if you need it. HRD

RICH MUISE

Yep...it's one of the risks we take trying to buy all the stuff we're going to need before we need it. Especially when we don't take enough time to thoroughly check what was sent. A necessary evil though, If you don't buy it ahead of time it won't be available when you need it.

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2015-03-25 11:59
  Guenter
      Good thing that you just happened to pull your windshield today.  Now let me ask you this question.   With the way that you are working on your 57, how are you finding time to work on customer cars?
Jay, a really smart guy once told me to work on my own car in the morning and get back to the customers' cars later. :002:
IT WORKS ! ( although confessing it is more than 2 hours as you suggested ! glad to have your clever advice anyways.) I have been studying this car so much, that usually a lot gets done in a few hours.

57 imposter

Rich as if you haven't received enough grief with your windshield. I must advise you that I bought my windshield for the unibody from classic city and it fit so poorly that it took two glass shops to get enough sealer in it to get it to quit leaking. Fortunately, the thing cracked and a local glass shop got a good windshield but that was for a 61 not a 57. If you buy from them, and I am not sure your going to have many options, I would suggest checking it closely as soon as you get it. 

RICH MUISE

I will probably have a go at the back window pretty quickly. I got that from auto city a few years ago. Thanks for the head's up. As you said, our affordable sources are drying up, and it's no telling anymore where they are being made.

57 imposter

Ya know, I think i Would almost rather restore a Chevrolet than remodel a bathroom. I am about to tear my hair out seems like everything you take out has some little surprise under it. been at it a week and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. Need to get back on the car. We have the steel tail light housings all welded on and rocker panels repairs made so there is a fair amount of grinding to do to get those areas ready for body work..Maybe by the middle of next week

RICH MUISE

"Brand names"...it just kills me what is hapening in today's markets. The sepentine belt on my 4.6 was chirping a bit, so I figured I'd replace it before I stuck the front sheetmetal on. Got on ebay and looked...saw several names I didn't recognize, but did see Goodyear. Can't go wrong with them, right? The package came today. Goodyear Gatorback package. Goodyear logo on the belt. Then I read the fine print on the package..."goodyear and gatorback trademarks and logos leased to ####Technologies (can't rememberthe mfg. name). Made in Mexico."
The made somewhere else I was expecting...the fact they just rent out their name to a company none of us would  recognize threw me...what the heck???

57 imposter

WOW!! When you can't even trust brand names for decent quality, we are really screwed. Why on earth would Goodyear want to put their reputation at risk? That is all a company has to sell and when that is gone, they might as well start ruining off the lights.

Zapato

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2015-03-28 11:23
Why on earth would Goodyear want to put their reputation at risk?

All about the almighty DOLLAR and while someone else does all the work you make a few of those ,without doing anything, and use those to buy out and then shut out your competition. 

Now where the problems start is when that supply line also starts getting greedy. They're busting their butts to make profit getting paid say $10 a piece and start thinking well my customer makes money doing nothing so why can't we do the same. So off it goes offloaded to someone else who now gets paid $8 a piece. Soon he gets greedy or behind on all his other customers and all or part of it goes off to another guy who is even hungrier and needs the work.

Now, the first guy probably went thru a certification process with his customer making sure everything was built per their specs. And he guarantees the product to his customer but every one else just builds and delivers to whoever they build for and they pass it up the now uncertified supply chain. And he smiles for awhile until rejection rates go thru the roof and the customer finds himself another supplier. And the cycle starts all over again.

This scenario plays out constantly in the world of outsourcing. Whether here or offshore. And GREED is king and drives those decisions. Reputations are gambled daily as there is little thinking about next week its all about todays' report to my boss.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

A lot of the things once made here have moved and it's not always the greedy $$ that are the reason. Many times we ( as in Government ) just regulate ourselves out of doing business
here.
Last three Intersate batteries I've bought were made in Mexico.
A lot of parts on new Fords are made in Mexico.
GM pickups are all made in Mexico.
I've bought many after market parts made in Mexico and have had good luck so far. I think the companies that have things manufactured there keep a lot closer eye and control on quality then stuff made off shore.
I've have boycotted Hershey Chocolate ever since they went to Mexico, I won't give them a break  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Very true...I just thought my Goodyear belt thing brought up a different scenerio than what we had been experiencing with big brands made in other countries. I figured most of them still had something to do with the mfg. process. Maybe even some still have something to do with quality control somewhere along the line. I was just surprised to see a statement that might as well just have been worded..."Goodyear has nothing to do with the enclosed part"