News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

289 swap

Started by sprink88, 2013-12-24 09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

Has anyone here done it? I have a chance on a running 289 and c4 for 300 bucks.  Worth the swap from y block?
~Chris

robhaerr

I put a 302 and C4 in my wagon.

Mine is bored .060 over, mild Edelbrock cam, intake, 600 cfm carb. It has plenty of go for a cruiser, but certainly not a tire-meltin'-frame-twerkin' burnout queen. Probably close to 300hp. I wanted some grunt and dependability with a nice exhaust note...mission accomplished.

I also wish I had an overdrive tranny...maybe later.

There is plenty of space in the engine room...

sprink88

Nice.  What engine mounts did you use?
~Chris

robhaerr

I used Mustang mounts on the engine side and Walden's speed shop fabricated the new cross member receivers.

My car was different because I had to yank out a Chevy 350. The car had removed all remnants of Ford mounts when I bought it.

I actually gave Walden's the 2 different type of late 60s Mustang mounts and he went with the ones that used one stud that went into the receiver. Others have used this same mount with the stock Ford crossmember mount.

This video shows what Bobby Walden and his crew did...he also gives the S&T rack and pinion unit a review...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVACkWA1oo

Good luck!
Rob

jvo

The pic in the post above this shows the same engine mounts I have in my Ranchero.  I stripped it this weekend, and the mounts look the same as this, only that there was a 1/2 inch plate of steel between the mount and the stock 57 mount.  Is it necessary to use the 1/2" plate between these?  Anyone know of a reason the previous owner would do that? Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

canadian_ranchero

i am told the 79-93 mustang mounts work

lalessi1

While I didn't do the swap my car had a 302/AOD in it when I bought it. I had to buy another front cross member (for the mounting pads) and a rear cross member to put the car back to stock so I could BOLT IN a 390/4 spd. The rear transmission mount location was much farther back on the AOD and a crossmember had been fabricated from a piece of 3" pipe. The drive shaft worked out fine but I don't know if it was original or not.   
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: jvo on 2015-03-09 18:34
The pic in the post above this shows the same engine mounts I have in my Ranchero.  I stripped it this weekend, and the mounts look the same as this, only that there was a 1/2 inch plate of steel between the mount and the stock 57 mount.  Is it necessary to use the 1/2" plate between these?  Anyone know of a reason the previous owner would do that? Thanks.
The 1/2" plates may have been needed to move the engine up for clearance of something, oil pan, exhaust manifolds or what ever? Have you tried setting the engine in with out them?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-03-09 21:37
i am told the 79-93 mustang mounts work

They do with only very slight modifications to the chassis mount hole.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II